Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 11:03:59 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Firecoin: looking for CryptoCoin programmer  (Read 1549 times)
Gamesfreak13563 (OP)

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 14, 2013, 08:41:25 PM
Last edit: May 15, 2013, 01:01:11 AM by Gamesfreak13563

-An alternative ways to earn coins that take advantage of the distributed network: a distributed filestoring service, perhaps, and you get coins based on storage and bandwith used: Torrent with a coin reward? Bonuses for seeding materials that haven't been seeded? All .tor files are stored in the blockchain? Vote system to get rid of illegal content?

-Easier to use (think integrated GUI miner into the client)
--There should be no need to use a seperate miner
--Addresses should be able to be shortened (think tinyurl for addresses)

I can't program this coin myself because I have little experience but if someone wants to try, I could set up a donation address.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
add1ct3dd

Activity: 657
Merit: 270

View Profile
May 14, 2013, 08:42:34 PM

It's ok, the other crapCoin owners can't code either, that's why they just clone, release, pump and dump.
Gamesfreak13563 (OP)

View Profile
May 14, 2013, 09:14:39 PM

Bump, anyone interested?
Come-from-Beyond
Legendary

Activity: 2142
Merit: 1009

View Profile
May 14, 2013, 09:19:03 PM

Bump, anyone interested?

Could u post a draft of ur concept? If it's a good non-flawed concept, I'll do it for free.
Gamesfreak13563 (OP)

View Profile
May 14, 2013, 09:38:01 PM

Bump, anyone interested?

Could u post a draft of ur concept? If it's a good non-flawed concept, I'll do it for free.

Sure, but I'm going out to eat. Would you mind messaging me, in the meantime, what you'd like to see from my concept? I have GUI ideas and other things, such as starting difficulty, but I think I should confer with the cryptocoin subforum before deciding on something like that.
Gamesfreak13563 (OP)

View Profile
May 14, 2013, 10:03:44 PM

Bump: Here is my concept in a nutshell.

FireCoin: A decentralized P2P currency based on Litecoin.

Features:

-Dynamic Reward Calculation from Mining: Reward is based on amount of time taken since last block found (similar to HazardCoin's idea)

-Easy to Use: Auto generates a .conf file and displays where you should point your miners to solo mine on start up. You can also change the .conf inside the client using a GUI. Easily set a different location for the blockchain.

-Proof of P2P Storage: Store your files in a P2P Network similar to .torrent. The list of files (or list of torrents) would be kept in the blockchain or through some other method. Inside the client, users can decide which files to pick up and share. Get coin rewards for using bandwidth (promoting popular files for stability) or seeding dead files (to keep less popular files around). Files which aren't seeded for a certain time are auto-pruned from the list. The community may also downvote illegal or unwanted files to remove them.

[Dynamics of P2P Storage may be openly discussed.]
Come-from-Beyond
Legendary

View Profile
May 14, 2013, 10:16:34 PM

I need more info about Proof of P2P Storage.
eule

Activity: 756
Merit: 501

View Profile
May 14, 2013, 10:28:35 PM

Could go well with Namecoin. One coin for the domain, one coin for the webspace.  Grin

Gamesfreak13563 (OP)

View Profile
May 14, 2013, 10:31:03 PM

The files wouldn't be stored in the chain, only a list of torrents essentially.
tom_o

Activity: 308
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 14, 2013, 10:33:50 PM

Do you have any idea what you actually propose, if it is even possible and is there a way to practically implement it?
Gamesfreak13563 (OP)

View Profile
May 14, 2013, 10:37:52 PM

Do you have any idea what you actually propose, if it is even possible and is there a way to practically implement it?

I'm essentially suggesting a coin reward for seeding torrents. I know it is difficult to do, but that's why this thread is here.
Come-from-Beyond
Legendary

View Profile
May 14, 2013, 10:41:47 PM

Torrents can be stored in Litecoin right now. All u need is just send a transaction with a lot of outputs (they code a torrent content). Then u need to decode this info having a transaction id. The only thing that need to be implemented is a transaction decoder. It's not about cryptocoin.

The concept doesn't look innovative, sorry.
Gamesfreak13563 (OP)

View Profile
May 14, 2013, 10:43:56 PM

Torrents can be stored in Litecoin right now. All u need is just send a transaction with a lot of outputs (they code a torrent content). Then u need to decode this info having a transaction id. The only thing that need to be implemented is a transaction decoder. It's not about cryptocoin.

The concept doesn't look innovative, sorry.
The innovative part is the reward for seeding as opposed to mining.
Come-from-Beyond
Legendary

View Profile
May 14, 2013, 10:46:38 PM

How will u count this reward? Each leecher knows only its own seeders.
Gamesfreak13563 (OP)

View Profile
May 14, 2013, 10:54:24 PM

Torrent clients have a way to measure bandwidth uploaded, right? You could grant coins based on bandwidth used. Seeders of less popular files, and long time seeders of popular files, could get bonus rewards for reliability.
Come-from-Beyond
Legendary

View Profile
May 14, 2013, 11:04:08 PM

Torrent clients have a way to measure bandwidth uploaded, right? You could grant coins based on bandwidth used. Seeders of less popular files, and long time seeders of popular files, could get bonus rewards for reliability.

The problem is how this system comes to a consensus.
Gamesfreak13563 (OP)

View Profile
May 14, 2013, 11:16:02 PM

The problem is how this system comes to a consensus.

Well let's start small. Let's just see if it's possible to start by granting coins based on bandwidth solely.

Perhaps it could be part of the block mining. When a block is accepted by a client, the client would check its upload bandwidths and request a reward in the next block that would be sent to them. To ensure the single client isn't "cheating", or sending false data to get a bigger reward, it would have to be checked against other peers' data. For this to happen, we'd probably need a 10 min blockchain.

Although... I'm not entirely sure that's how it could work; again, I admit I have very little experience in how the technical aspects work, and I'm sure the issue is in the P2P aspect (that one node isn't connected to every other node all the time), but this is just my chain of thought.
Gamesfreak13563 (OP)

View Profile
May 15, 2013, 12:57:18 AM

Bump for interest check
markm
Legendary

Activity: 2940
Merit: 1090

View Profile WWW
May 15, 2013, 01:03:18 AM

Many times people have tried to come up with rewarded p2p file storage and/or seeding ideas.

SO far the only thing  that has worked is a central company that rewards people for making space available, and even then it does it by only rewarding them with space, not with any kind of "money".

If they tried to reward people with any kind of "money" they would probably not be able to operate because the number of cheaters they get who want to cheat them for some extra filespace is trivial compared to the number of cheaters they would get if they tried to reward them with anything that could be cashed in, including cryptocoins since those could be cashed in at an exchange.

So tons of people have spent shitloads of hours trying to solve this and that corporate approach is the only actually working solution so far.

All the distributed storage open source apps and freenet and so on and so on have all looked at the problem, so unless you have a genius solution forget it; if you do have a genius solution go explain it to the people in #tahoe-lafs channel on Freenode.

-MarkM-

Browser-launched Crossfire client now online (select CrossCiv server for Galactic  Milieu)
Free website hosting with PHP, MySQL etc: http://hosting.knotwork.com/
Gamesfreak13563 (OP)

View Profile
May 15, 2013, 01:22:05 AM

Many times people have tried to come up with rewarded p2p file storage and/or seeding ideas.

SO far the only thing  that has worked is a central company that rewards people for making space available, and even then it does it by only rewarding them with space, not with any kind of "money".

If they tried to reward people with any kind of "money" they would probably not be able to operate because the number of cheaters they get who want to cheat them for some extra filespace is trivial compared to the number of cheaters they would get if they tried to reward them with anything that could be cashed in, including cryptocoins since those could be cashed in at an exchange.

So tons of people have spent shitloads of hours trying to solve this and that corporate approach is the only actually working solution so far.

All the distributed storage open source apps and freenet and so on and so on have all looked at the problem, so unless you have a genius solution forget it; if you do have a genius solution go explain it to the people in #tahoe-lafs channel on Freenode.

-MarkM-

My response to that is that only files that are being downloaded get rewarded. I.e., if you have a junk 1gb file that's full of meaningless data, normal users aren't going to download it. Since bandwidth in a torrent would only be used when someone is downloading that's one way to get rid of cheaters.

Alternatively, we could remove the file aspect and just make a proof of storage: swell the block chain size so that only big hard drives could hold it, and have two clients: a web client that works like any web wallet, which you can mine normally and deposit to, and a downloadable qt that does the same and serves those requests to uphold the block chain like servers. They would be paid dividends.

Or alternatively alternatively, you could rent out your hard drive for space and there could be a companion sign up site like media fire. Each account would be limited to a certain amount of hard drive space and people renting out their computers for space would be paid when files are accessed. As bandwidth for particular files increases, there could be requests to copy the popular file to new clients to increase accessibility. Files would be encrypted on upload and would be copied to additional computers if nodes went down. If more people install the client and rent out space, the amount of storage on the site increases. The only problem is that the website is a point of failure - by necessity it'd have to be centralized or hosted by people running the client. And there's still the problem of how to adequately find out when you deserve a reward...

It's tough.but it should be a problem worth solving?
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: