Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 10:36:20 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: 2013-05-14 Department of Homeland Security Shuts Down Dwolla Payments to/frm Gox  (Read 3485 times)
gramma (OP)

Activity: 194
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 14, 2013, 08:43:52 PM

http://betabeat.com/2013/05/department-of-homeland-security-shuts-down-dwolla-payments-to-and-from-mt-gox/

A representative for Dwolla told Betabeat that the company is “not party” to this matter and encourages those with questions to reach out to Mt. Gox or the DHS. “The Department of Homeland Security and U.S. District Court for the District of Maryland issued a ‘Seizure Warrant’ for the funds associated with Mutum Sigillium’s Dwolla account (a.k.a. Mt. Gox),” he said. “In light of the court order, procured by the Department of Homeland Security, Dwolla has ceased all account activities associated with Dwolla services for Mutum Sigillum while Dwolla’s holding partner transferred Mutum Sigillium’s balance, per the warrant.”

BTC: 1MrNRPo7p8DEyxn87c9BCGwrbatBQeCHc1

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Gordonium

Activity: 392
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 14, 2013, 09:20:25 PM

If you saw Atlas, the giant who holds the world on his shoulders, if you saw that he stood, blood running down his chest, his knees buckling, his arms trembling but still trying to hold the world aloft with the last of his strength, and the greater the effort the heavier the world bore down upon his shoulders -- what would you tell him to do?

I don't know. What could he do? What would you tell him?

To shrug.
mccorvic

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 14, 2013, 09:24:18 PM

Tell him to smoke a bowl.

But seriously, this is most likely related to Gox failing to lrn 2 bizness and the resulting suit with Coinlab.

Offering Video/Audio Editing Services since 2011 - https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=77932.0
kiba
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1014

View Profile
May 14, 2013, 10:07:12 PM

But seriously, this is most likely related to Gox failing to lrn 2 bizness and the resulting suit with Coinlab.

Failing to lrn 2 bizness? What? Speak ENGLISH!

marcus_of_augustus
Legendary

Activity: 3920
Merit: 2348

Eadem mutata resurgo

View Profile
May 14, 2013, 10:19:57 PM

Tell him to smoke a bowl.

Not it is Dept. of Homeland Security ... so not a commercially driven action (officially) but done under of guise of "protecting the citizens" .... from what exactly is left to your imagination mostly.

Bettor

Activity: 32
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 14, 2013, 10:37:49 PM

If this is even true at all, the original email said that it requires a "seizure warrant" to take funds, not the way betanews worded it. If not totally bogus, it's being used to trash BTC by someone. And why was the email only posted at HackerNews of all places?
gramma (OP)

View Profile
May 14, 2013, 11:12:21 PM

Not a lot more detail, but plenty of speculation as more press take note:

http://www.businessinsider.com/dwolla-mt-gox-2013-5

Speculation, plus interesting guidance from a VC on what the community ought to do to prevent death-dealing regulation.

http://pandodaily.com/2013/05/14/dept-of-homeland-security-freezes-accounts-between-dwolla-and-bitcoin-exchange-mt-gox/

We are prompted to wonder whether this is this the first of a series of governmental assaults on the exchanges? That’s what they’d target if they want to put the kibosh on bitcoin. Or, is this a case where DHS is investigating some individual or organization who may have used bitcoins, via Dwolla, for some potentially nefarious or terroristic reasons?

Members of the PandoDaily team have spoken to sources close to the bitcoin ecosystem and have been hearing that it’s likely the former.

StarfishPrime

Activity: 358
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 14, 2013, 11:20:03 PM

Well, this would suggest that bitcoin isn't just another tentacle of a larger surveillance project like trapwire ... or then again this could just be for plausible deniability.

¦                     
  ¦    ¦¦¦               
¦¦  ¦¦¦¦                 
                             ¦¦  ¦¦¦¦
                          ¦ ¦¦ ¦¦¦¦                     
                         ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦
                        ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦
                        ¦¦¦¦¦¦
                  ¦¦¦  ¦¦¦¦¦¦
                   ¦ ¦¦¦¦¦¦

¦¦  ¦ ¦¦¦¦
                    ¦¦    ¦¦¦¦
                    ¦¦  ¦ ¦¦¦¦
                   ¦¦¦  ¦ ¦¦¦¦¦
                ¦¦¦¦    ¦ ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦
             ¦¦¦¦¦    ¦ ¦¦ ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦
          ¦¦¦¦¦       ¦  ¦   ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦
        ¦¦¦¦         ¦        ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦
     ¦¦¦¦          ¦      ¦    ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦
    ¦¦¦         ¦¦         ¦   ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦
   ¦¦        ¦¦         ¦¦  ¦   ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦
  ¦¦       ¦          ¦ ¦¦   ¦  ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦
 ¦¦¦     ¦¦          ¦   ¦    ¦  ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦
¦¦¦     ¦          ¦      ¦   ¦¦ ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦
¦¦¦    ¦        ¦¦         ¦¦  ¦ ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦
¦¦¦   ¦¦     ¦¦         ¦   ¦  ¦ ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦
¦¦¦   ¦     ¦¦         ¦¦¦   ¦ ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦
 ¦¦   ¦¦    ¦        ¦    ¦  ¦ ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦
 ¦¦    ¦   ¦        ¦¦    ¦  ¦ ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦
  ¦¦    ¦  ¦¦       ¦     ¦  ¦ ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦
   ¦¦    ¦  ¦      ¦      ¦  ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦
    ¦¦¦   ¦ ¦¦     ¦¦     ¦  ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦
     ¦¦¦   ¦ ¦¦     ¦¦    ¦ ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦
       ¦¦¦¦  ¦ ¦¦    ¦  ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦
          ¦¦¦¦¦¦  ¦¦  ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦
             ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦
                        ¦¦

TorCoin.....
¦
¦
¦
¦
  Fully Anonymous TOR-integrated Crypto
               ¦ Windows     ¦ Linux     ¦ GitHub     ¦ macOS
     ¦
     ¦
     ¦
     ¦
   ANN THREAD
     ¦
     ¦
     ¦
     ¦
[/center]
marcus_of_augustus
Legendary

Eadem mutata resurgo

View Profile
May 14, 2013, 11:30:33 PM

DHS agents might be looking to buy in to BitCoins at a lower price?  Smiley

Raoul Duke
aka psy
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1002

View Profile
May 14, 2013, 11:31:10 PM

Really... by now I just wish BTC to crash and all the VC vultures to lose all the money they invested. THEY ARE THE REAL PROBLEM. Them and the bitcoin foundation, which was turned into a commercial enterprise without you guys even noticing lol

The dude from coinlab and his (bitcoinica) lawyer are... you can fill the gap by yourself if you think a little Wink
marcus_of_augustus
Legendary

Eadem mutata resurgo

View Profile
May 14, 2013, 11:41:38 PM
Last edit: May 15, 2013, 12:02:11 AM by marcus_of_augustus

Really... by now I just wish BTC to crash and all the VC vultures to lose all the money they invested. THEY ARE THE REAL PROBLEM. Them and the bitcoin foundation, which was turned into a commercial enterprise without you guys even noticing lol

The dude from coinlab and his (bitcoinica) lawyer are... you can fill the gap by yourself if you think a little Wink

Yeah ... I'm in two minds here. If the VC's finally get a taste of how authoritarian the govt. has become they may turn into valuable allies. Question for me is whether the more 'compliant' amongst them can wield sufficient influence to turn bitcoin into the whipped pup the govt. might want (if they actually understood it) ... I'm betting they can't.

Raoul Duke
aka psy
Legendary

View Profile
May 14, 2013, 11:47:44 PM

Yeah ... I'm in two minds here. If the VC's finally get a taste of how authoritarian the govt. has become they may turn in valuable allies. Question for me is whether the more 'compliant' amongst them can weild sufficient influence to turn bitcoin into the whipped pup the govt. might want (if they actually understood it) ... I'm betting they can't.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qDWJGslOf70
BitChick
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1001

View Profile
May 14, 2013, 11:50:52 PM

DHS agents might be looking to buy in to BitCoins at a lower price?  Smiley

If they were smart. Wink

1BitcHiCK1iRa6YVY6qDqC6M594RBYLNPo
kiba
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1014

View Profile
May 14, 2013, 11:53:18 PM

I always thought of bitcoin as a commercial adventure.

Raoul Duke
aka psy
Legendary

View Profile
May 15, 2013, 12:12:46 AM

Venture capitalists building businesses around bitcoin is a good thing...

Dude, VC's don't get it right 99% of the time.
Yeah, they have a lot of money, but principles...
gramma (OP)

View Profile
May 15, 2013, 12:27:03 AM

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13578_3-57584511-38/homeland-security-cuts-off-dwolla-bitcoin-transfers/

Immigration and Customs Enforcement confirms an "ongoing investigation" that led to Dwolla cutting off bitcoin transfers to Mt. Gox.

http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2013/05/feds-seize-money-from-top-bitcoin-exchange-mt-gox/

Nothing new.

http://gigaom.com/2013/05/14/homeland-security-seizes-funds-at-main-bitcoin-exchange-report/

Homeland Security typically executes seizure warrants in connection with criminal investigations and Coyne’s screenshot refers to actions in the US District Court of Maryland. A search of court records, however, comes up empty — which could mean the records are under seal.

marcus_of_augustus
Legendary

Eadem mutata resurgo

View Profile
May 15, 2013, 12:43:00 AM

Dwolla cutting off bitcoin transfers to Mt. Gox.

of course Dwolla can't cut off bitcoin transactions to Gox ... only dollar transactions. But hey never let facts get into a news story shall we?

TraderTimm
Legendary

Activity: 2408
Merit: 1121

View Profile
May 15, 2013, 01:47:23 AM

I knew this was coming, but I didn't see the bastards acting so soon. Its depressing, frankly. While I do know there are other exchanges and local trades won't be impeded - it bothers me that these overstepping bastards have the gall to take their blue-gloved groping into an area they barely comprehend.

There's a small chance this is a hoax, and another chance its just the first shot in the campaign to attack bitcoin.

I'm not giving up, but godammit - this really pisses me off.

fortitudinem multis - catenum regit omnia
marcus_of_augustus
Legendary

Eadem mutata resurgo

View Profile
May 15, 2013, 02:05:30 AM

I knew this was coming, but I didn't see the bastards acting so soon. Its depressing, frankly. While I do know there are other exchanges and local trades won't be impeded - it bothers me that these overstepping bastards have the gall to take their blue-gloved groping into an area they barely comprehend.

There's a small chance this is a hoax, and another chance its just the first shot in the campaign to attack bitcoin.

I'm not giving up, but godammit - this really pisses me off.

It is an obvious soft target ... all USD funds going into Mt. Gox go through ONE Dwolla account it seems. Pretty easy to apply pressure there with a sealed seizure warrant so they don't have to tell anybody anything anytime and just do it ... tie it up in courts for years. This is how LE operates these days since they got everything they wanted with the "anti-terrorism" overreach legislation and woeful judiciary rulings ... basically above the law. Suppose just be glad you aren't rotting in Gitmo for a decade waiting for a hearing. Symptomatic of the sick system ... ask anyone from former communist states how this is all playing out, they've seen it all before.

cypherdoc
Legendary

Activity: 1764

View Profile
May 15, 2013, 03:53:00 AM

for every action there is a reaction.

i wonder what role the Chinese will play in this.  there have been hints that they might actually support the Bitcoin concept.  is DHS sending a message?

if so, i'm sure a response will be forthcoming in some form or manner.
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: