Bitcoin Forum
May 25, 2024, 07:01:30 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin on AUG 1 - Blockchain.info wallet?  (Read 543 times)
JasonD2 (OP)

Activity: 11
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 30, 2017, 01:33:11 PM

Hey guys, I just wanted to know if It's safe for me to keep my bitcoin in this wallet, I have the Seed and recovery phase or whatever..
BillyBobZorton
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1028

View Profile
July 30, 2017, 02:39:43 PM

Hey guys, I just wanted to know if It's safe for me to keep my bitcoin in this wallet, I have the Seed and recovery phase or whatever..

I don't think so. Blockchain.info is an online wallet, by definition, all online wallets are prone to all kind of attacks.

You should go to www.bitcoin.org and get a full node.

You probably don't have the time to do that now tho, unless your computer and internet speed is fast enough to download the blockchain before august 1st arrives.

The next best thing to that is probably Electrum, so download Electrum and send all of your bitcoins there.

Im not sure at all how to access BCC from Electrum tho.
MintCondition
Legendary

Activity: 1147
Merit: 1007

View Profile
July 30, 2017, 02:43:53 PM

I don't think so. Blockchain.info is an online wallet, by definition, all online wallets are prone to all kind of attacks.

You probably don't have the time to do that now tho, unless your computer and internet speed is fast enough to download the blockchain before august 1st arrives.

The next best thing to that is probably Electrum, so download Electrum and send all of your bitcoins there.

Blockchain.info support a public key wallet and they are same as electrum. Blockchain.info is a safe container of BTC for the upcoming fork. FYI, all wallets are online wallet. I think you mean web wallet or exchange wallet.?

JasonD2 (OP)

View Profile
July 30, 2017, 03:24:41 PM

Blockchain.info support a public key wallet and they are same as electrum. Blockchain.info is a safe container of BTC for the upcoming fork. FYI, all wallets are online wallet. I think you mean web wallet or exchange wallet.?

So wait, it is safe for me to keep my BTC on Blockchain.info if I have the xpub, the seed, and the recovery phrase or whatever.. Right?
olubams

Activity: 798
Merit: 503

View Profile
July 30, 2017, 03:33:31 PM

So wait, it is safe for me to keep my BTC on Blockchain.info if I have the xpub, the seed, and the recovery phrase or whatever.. Right?

Based on the explanation he gave that means yes. But for me, I use blcokchain.info as well but towards the days of this hardfork, I had to heed to the suggestions going on the forum because of being prone to attacks and you are not sure if blockchain.info will support any output from such so the best is just to keep it somewhere else. Electrum is a good option though...
avikz
Legendary

Activity: 3094
Merit: 1500

View Profile
July 30, 2017, 03:39:51 PM

I too had the similar question in mind and hence I posted a similar thread like you.

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=2051882

Check the thread and you will find a lot of answers which may help you to understand the situation. Among all suggestions, I see that moving my funds to Electrum wallet is easy and reliable. So I did that. The best part of electrum wallet is that, you don't need too download the blockchain. Just download and use it.

I am not sure how they are going distribute BCC, but I will be happy if my bitcoin holding is safe. 

JorisK

Activity: 199
Merit: 128

View Profile
July 30, 2017, 03:43:57 PM

Blockchain.info does not support BCC.

Yes, your BTC is safe there. If you want it more safe, then install a wallet like Exodus or Electrum and move your coins there.
~Bitcoin~
Legendary

Activity: 994
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 30, 2017, 04:03:24 PM

Having seed and recovery phrase is not enough for you to get free bcc for your bitcoin in blockchain.info wallet. If you know how to import address from your paper wallet to your blockchain wallet than do so and send bitcoin to your paper wallet address. After the split you should import that same address in another wallet that will support bcc, private key for bcc and btc address will be same so same address can hold both btc and bcc in future.

Bittrex have announced that they will credit respective bcc amount to their users who will have btc in their wallet during hardfork, so another option for you could be storing your bitcoin temporarily in bittrex.

JasonD2 (OP)

View Profile
July 30, 2017, 04:26:21 PM

Blockchain.info does not support BCC.

Yes, your BTC is safe there. If you want it more safe, then install a wallet like Exodus or Electrum and move your coins there.

They didn't make an official statement yet. so how do you know
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: