Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 09:07:26 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: War has started  (Read 6091 times)
Traktion

Activity: 168
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 15, 2013, 07:20:24 AM

I am young, but I am very sure that the Hippies didn't pose a threat to the established at all, unlike us.

* sigh *  That's what people see, but it has no bearing - or very, very little - on what those times were actually about.  It was the most intense political period the US had seen since the Civil War.  We came closer to an actual shooting revolution than you'd believe - after 40-50 years of corporate-owned media pushing all the drugs/sex/rock'n'roll crap that had little to do with what was really going on.  Not that that part wasn't fun...

The establishment are always seeking to alienate and turn others against free thinkers. I suspect the hippy/peace movement in the 60s was much the same.

I was actually speaking to my father about the 60s the other month. He said that the Internet, Bitcoin etc reminded him of some of the things many in the 60s were seeking to achieve. Ofc, they goals weren't reached in some ways, but in many others culture was changed permanently.

I think I there may have been a good part in 'The Century of Self' documentaries about this. I can't remember though and it's a 4 hour series so I can't scan through. Here is the link for those interested though: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s7EwXmxpExw

This time, we have the Internet. This has lead to wide spread, unregulated communications. It has lead to pressure on censorship, intellectual property and now the monetary system. It's a system which allows strong protest movements, which are very hard for monolithic states to control. Perhaps this time, the freedom craved by some in the 60s will have a better chance of materialising - it's certainly much harder to discredit such positions now.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Bitcoin: the cutting edge of begging technology." -- Giraffe.BTC
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
melvster

Activity: 350
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 15, 2013, 07:23:12 AM

This is no war ... just a little expected jostling

If it ever came to war ...

... Satoshi would return ...
oakpacific

Activity: 784
Merit: 1000

View Profile
May 15, 2013, 07:23:22 AM

I am young, but I am very sure that the Hippies didn't pose a threat to the established at all, unlike us.

* sigh *  That's what people see, but it has no bearing - or very, very little - on what those times were actually about.  It was the most intense political period the US had seen since the Civil War.  We came closer to an actual shooting revolution than you'd believe - after 40-50 years of corporate-owned media pushing all the drugs/sex/rock'n'roll crap that had little to do with what was really going on.  Not that that part wasn't fun...

Sometime during the Chinese "Cultural Revolution" , a old communist general, after being subjected to intense beating and denunciation by the red guards,  told them "Wait and see, after the revolution, those who should be generals will still be generals, those who should be soldiers will still be soldiers." We can't put all blames for the corruption on people in power, if things end up being the same no matter who is in charge, it must be because, things have to work that way because there is no better way until a technical revolution fundamentally transforms the landscape.

I did not mean the hippies are incapable or what, it's just the time was not ripe, heck we didn't even have personal computers or asymmetric encryption then, the things we are doing now are unimaginable at that time.

https://tlsnotary.org/ Fraud proofing decentralized fiat-Bitcoin trading.
BTC Books

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 15, 2013, 07:35:35 AM

This time, we have the Internet. This has lead to wide spread, unregulated communications. It has lead to pressure on censorship, intellectual property and now the monetary system. It's a system which allows strong protest movements, which are very hard for monolithic states to control. Perhaps this time, the freedom craved by some in the 60s will have a better chance of materialising - it's certainly much harder to discredit such positions now.

Yes.  And the greatest battle fought thusfar was the battle for cryptography.  And we actually won that one.  Use it or lose it, people...

But here, we fight the battle for money.  And I note that without cryptography we wouldn't have a chance in hell.

My greatest fear is how physically complacent people have gotten.  No - sitting at home and banging a keyboard is no substitute for getting out there and doing real shit.  The internet - as good and perfect a tool as it is for many things - is no substitute for action in the real world.

We have some other tools too; speaking of the real world.  Drones come to mind - especially in concert with 3-D printing.  They are perfect for fighting our terrible and cowardly media infrastructure, and for exposing corporate misdeeds (especially environmental).

I have high hopes for this generation...

Dankedan: price seems low, time to sell I think...
BTC Books

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 15, 2013, 07:40:51 AM

Sometime during the Chinese "Cultural Revolution" , a old communist general, after being subjected to intense beating and denunciation by the red guards,  told them "Wait and see, after the revolution, those who should be generals will still be generals, those who should be soldiers will still be soldiers." We can't put all blames for the corruption on people in power, if things end up being the same no matter who is in charge, it must be because, things have to work that way because there is no better way until a technical revolution fundamentally transforms the landscape.

Let me take a whack at re-phrasing that nice story:

The problem with political systems is that the people who have power are the kind of people who want it.

Fix that problem and you fix the world.

Dankedan: price seems low, time to sell I think...
interlagos

Activity: 496
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 15, 2013, 12:25:14 PM

It might look like a war only they don't know that we have already won!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iTAPZIsX0zU#t=12m22s
Loozik

Activity: 378
Merit: 250

Born to chew bubble gum and kick ass

View Profile
May 15, 2013, 06:38:11 PM

Statists are coming to our Bitcoins.

Bring it on!

We are the majority http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H6b70TUbdfs&list=UUFeK8ZdHbCqAq3gekWs8aEQ&index=34

We'll kick their asses  Grin
Stampbit

Activity: 182
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 15, 2013, 06:42:11 PM

War on smug is sending bitcoin and apple prices falling
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  

Jump to: