Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 05:10:54 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: bitcoins in physical stores  (Read 1950 times)
grondilu (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1076

View Profile
December 03, 2010, 06:01:00 PM

There are many ways bitcoin could be used in physical stores.

Some guys here are planning on creating printed bitcoins, using QR code or stuffs like that.

An other possibility would be to do everything wia wifi, for instance using smartphones running a full bitcoin client, or using a web interface such as mybitcoin.com.

I personnaly think the best would be if each store could act as a bitcoin bank.  Basically you would have a bitcoin account in the shop, and you'll use with conventionnal banking-like transaction for every day purchases.  You would only transfer bitcoin something like say one in a month, just to fill up your account.   Such accounts could also use David Chaum's digital cash, so that stores could act like private money issuers.

I don't think bitcoin will put a end to banking system.  On the contrary, it will democratize it.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The grue lurks in the darkest places of the earth. Its favorite diet is adventurers, but its insatiable appetite is tempered by its fear of light. No grue has ever been seen by the light of day, and few have survived its fearsome jaws to tell the tale.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
kiba
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1014

View Profile
December 03, 2010, 06:07:57 PM

I am already calling mtgox and mybitcoin banks.

FatherMcGruder

Activity: 322
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
December 03, 2010, 06:20:18 PM

I like the idea of having a bitcoin card. It would interface with an online bitcoin account and one would use it as a gift card. One could deposit or withdraw bitcoins from the account wherever he had internet access. The cards would bare a bar code, QR code, and/or magnetic strip that would have the necessary info for the merchant to withdraw funds. One would have to treat the card like cash, but if it ever got compromised, the user would have a chance to withdraw his funds before anyone else. The account would keep a record of transactions so one could catch malicious merchants trying to conduct unauthorized withdrawals. One could also link the card to his smartphone's location thereby preventing the card's use if it became separated from the smartphone.

Just ideas.

Use my Trade Hill referral code: TH-R11519

Check out bitcoinity.org and Ripple.

Shameless display of my bitcoin address:
1Hio4bqPUZnhr2SWi4WgsnVU1ph3EkusvH
jgarzik
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1091

View Profile
December 03, 2010, 06:26:02 PM

I personnaly think the best would be if each store could act as a bitcoin bank.  Basically you would have a bitcoin account in the shop, and you'll use with conventionnal banking-like transaction for every day purchases.  You would only transfer bitcoin something like say one in a month, just to fill up your account.   Such accounts could also use David Chaum's digital cash, so that stores could act like private money issuers.

Most stores offer some sort of gift certificate, gift card or store credit.  You just need to convince the store to accept bitcoins for store credit.  Smiley

Jeff Garzik, Bloq CEO, former bitcoin core dev team; opinions are my own.
Visit bloq.com / metronome.io
Donations / tip jar: 1BrufViLKnSWtuWGkryPsKsxonV2NQ7Tcj
bockstabberz

Activity: 224
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
December 14, 2018, 09:34:55 AM

well, it seems like a very good idea for the development of bitcoin, but how much that might be very difficult to implement, for example in my country, where there is a law that regulates legal payments in the country's own currency. I really hope Bitcoin can be used as it should. Cheesy
suzanne5223

Activity: 2618
Merit: 650

Want top-notch marketing for your project, Hire me

View Profile WWW
December 14, 2018, 10:16:19 AM

Some guys here are planning on creating printed bitcoins, using QR code or stuffs like that.

An other possibility would be to do everything wia wifi, for instance using smartphones running a full bitcoin client, or using a web interface such as mybitcoin.com.

I don't think bitcoin will put a end to banking system.  On the contrary, it will democratize it.

Yes, bitcoin will democratized things since it does played the real role of genuine democracy which the world need. Concerning the payment issue there are many new project which have different set of bitcoin payment protocol which will make bitcoin payment physically to be seamlessly. However, bitcoin will not totally end banking system but it break the use to bank into 5-15%.

nicster551

Activity: 896
Merit: 253

View Profile
December 14, 2018, 10:31:28 AM

I am just wondering if what will they do about it when the price of Bitcoin suddenly drops and that price they got from the customers was at high?
anitaraymonds

Activity: 490
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 14, 2018, 11:42:45 AM

Bitcoin can not put an end to normal bank it is not possible because there are other functions of banks which bitcoin cannot do. Like issuing loans to their client and also selling government bills to raise funds for the government. Bitcoin has only broadened and offering an alternative to money but conveniently and digitally.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: