Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 06:21:48 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Instawallet help!!!!  (Read 471 times)
trillmcavoy (OP)

Activity: 2
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 14, 2013, 11:59:46 PM

Hey guys. I've used instawallet and zip zap to buy bitcoins countless times, so this transaction I did it the way I always have, same wallet and everything. Little did I know, instawallet had shut down. The one time I don't check my wallet first, this is what happens. So what do I do now? Is my money forever lost? I contacted zip zap and am still waiting to hear back. Will my coins even go the wallet since I sent them to it AFTER instawallet shut down? Someone please help...I really goofed  Embarrassed

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"If you don't want people to know you're a scumbag then don't be a scumbag." -- margaritahuyan
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
jamesgarfield

Activity: 14

View Profile
May 15, 2013, 12:07:11 AM

Hey guys. I've used instawallet and zip zap to buy bitcoins countless times, so this transaction I did it the way I always have, same wallet and everything. Little did I know, instawallet had shut down. The one time I don't check my wallet first, this is what happens. So what do I do now? Is my money forever lost? I contacted zip zap and am still waiting to hear back. Will my coins even go the wallet since I sent them to it AFTER instawallet shut down? Someone please help...I really goofed  Embarrassed

Do you have a backup? and how many coins are involved here?
clowe

Activity: 25

View Profile
May 15, 2013, 12:08:04 AM

There is a claims process on instawallets website, good luck.  

It certainly reduces my confidence in bitcoin when wallet providers shut-down.  

Safest bet is to keep your bitcoins on your own machine, I keep a copy of my coins on my laptop.  I understand there are also some projects that will allow you to print your bitcoins as a backup.
jamesgarfield

View Profile
May 15, 2013, 12:17:35 AM

There is a claims process on instawallets website, good luck.  

It certainly reduces my confidence in bitcoin when wallet providers shut-down.  

Safest bet is to keep your bitcoins on your own machine, I keep a copy of my coins on my laptop.  I understand there are also some projects that will allow you to print your bitcoins as a backup.

yes keeping your coins on your machine is by far the safest method.
trillmcavoy (OP)

Activity: 2

View Profile
May 15, 2013, 12:24:26 AM

Its only a little over 2 coins so about $220 worth, but its still money I could use. I used zip zap to purchase the coins and they then send those coins to instawallet so I never had a chance to put them on my computer. I made the transaction, checked my wallet on instawallet when I got home and thats when I found out instawallet had shut down. Do you think instawallet blocks transfers now since its so long after them shutting down?
BTCoder

View Profile
May 15, 2013, 12:42:05 AM

Its only a little over 2 coins so about $220 worth, but its still money I could use. I used zip zap to purchase the coins and they then send those coins to instawallet so I never had a chance to put them on my computer. I made the transaction, checked my wallet on instawallet when I got home and thats when I found out instawallet had shut down. Do you think instawallet blocks transfers now since its so long after them shutting down?

This sucks, yea instawallet shut down. Try to get in contact with them and maybe they can help you out.
acne

Activity: 56

View Profile
May 15, 2013, 01:18:42 AM

sorry to hear about that, it sucks.
jamesgarfield

View Profile
May 15, 2013, 03:04:27 AM

If you have the wallet.dat folder you should still be able to recover your coins. Did you ever make a backup?
DannyHamilton
Legendary

Activity: 3388
Merit: 4616

View Profile
May 15, 2013, 03:07:38 AM

If you have the wallet.dat folder you should still be able to recover your coins. Did you ever make a backup?

WTF?  What are you talking about? Huh

The OP specifically stated "I've used instawallet".  There is no wallet.dat with Instawallet.  Instawallet has access to all the bitcoins.
jamesgarfield

View Profile
May 15, 2013, 04:28:22 AM

WTF?  What are you talking about? Huh

The OP specifically stated "I've used instawallet".  There is no wallet.dat with Instawallet.  Instawallet has access to all the bitcoins.

Lol, sorry just tryna help
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: