Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 07:23:25 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: GPU Maintenance (Lube) & PCI-E Risers  (Read 1198 times)
Eaks77 (OP)

Activity: 57
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 15, 2013, 12:39:20 AM

Hey Everyone,

So I've found myself into a couple minor problems and I've been researching it all day... read a lot of threads.  Eventually it just comes to a point where information starts contradicting itself... and then BAM... Headache!

Anyways, I thought i'd post a thread with the issues and questions.  See what responses I'd get in return.

GPU Maintenance:
So last night, one of my 5970's was getting hot.  While the fan was at 100%, it was only doing around 3000RPM.  I believe typically it should be at 4000+ RPM.  I removed it from the board and found the fan didn't sound right.  So I read into lubricating the motor.  I dismantled the Card and removed the fan.  I bought some White Lithium Grease and Noctua NT-H1 Thermal Compound (haven't read great reviews).

Questions:
- White Lithium grease should be good for the bearings in the fan motor?
- As a result of dismantling the card, I removed some of the Thermal Pad off the back of the RAM.  It's just split, so some is on the board, while the other half is on the heat sink.  I've heard mix reviews on whether or not to replace the Thermal Pads or just put everything back together without touching the PADs or I've even heard of people heating it back up and repairing it?
- I was hoping to buy the "best shit you got" thermal compound and they gave me the Noctua NT-H1.  After buying it and reading reviews... I may have made a mistake... its returnable!  I've read some great things on Arctic 5.  Should I hold out for that or any other suggestions?

PCI-E Risers:

I have a couple rigs and have been using modified PCI-E x1 -> PCI-E x1 Extensions.  One of the ends has been modified (by removing some plastics at the end) to fit the x16.  They've been working great!  No issues with any of my cards... which are 2x5970  1x6990 2x6850 2x6870 1x6950 2x5770. The most I have on a board has been 4 cards.  But with the possibility of having 5-6 on a board... i'll need some more risers to make it all fit.  Both PCI-E x16 -> PCI-E x16 extensions and PCI-E x16 -> PCI-E x1.  

Questions:
- Is there any risers I should avoid?  I've seen some on EBAY... around $20 for a pack of 5 of them.
- The big question.... DO I NEED powered risers?!  I have good PSU's!
- I'd like to stick to just the PCI-E x1 -> PCI-E x1 extensions and modify them.  But.. for the money.  I might as well get the PCI-E x16 -> PCI-E x1.

Thanks!

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Bitcoin: mining our own business since 2009" -- Pieter Wuille
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Eaks77 (OP)

Activity: 57
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 17, 2013, 12:19:45 AM

Well.... looks like a fair bunch of people have viewed this post.. but with no responses.    So, I'll respond in hopes of helping someone out in the future.

I dismantled two cards, 5970 & 6850.  Both of their fans were pooched!  I did use White Lithium Grease and it's been working very well!

I decided to use Arctic Silver 5.

I did not decide to use Thermal Pads.  Mine were in ok condition and I figured during mining, the memory is so low, heat would be minimal.

Overall... after rebuilding both GPU's... I'm extremely impressed with the results.  The 5970 would be operating between 75-85^C and the spread between each GPU could differ by 7-12^C  So for example the 5970's GPU #1 would be at 73^C while GPU#2 would be at 83^C.... and this was with some additional fan power circulating air around the Card.  As for NOW... the card is at a Steady 68^C for both GPU's withOUT any additional fans, and it's quieter!  Extremely impressed!  Both scenarios was with no Over Clocking and Memory at a minimum.  I'm tempted to do this to my other cards.  Just a fresh cleaning and rebuild. As for the 6850, same results.  Much quieter, running much cooler!  

As for the Risers.. have not ordered anything yet.  Waiting for my wallet to initialize so I can buy on BitMit.

Later

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: