Bitcoin Forum
May 09, 2024, 08:28:50 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: How is the BCC fork happening?  (Read 517 times)
SebastianJu (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 1082

Legendary Escrow Service - Tip Jar in Profile

View Profile WWW
July 31, 2017, 12:34:13 PM

Just wondering how they will fork. Normally on a bitcoin address tomorrow there are btc and bcc. Same amount.

When does the coins divide?

When sending he bitcoins from there then the bcc would move together with them since the btc-transaction would also valid on the bcc-chain?

Also when sending bcc from a btc-address you would move the btc also since the bcc-transaction would be valid on the btc-chain also both coins?

How is it handled?

Please ALWAYS contact me through bitcointalk pm before sending someone coins.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The forum strives to allow free discussion of any ideas. All policies are built around this principle. This doesn't mean you can post garbage, though: posts should actually contain ideas, and these ideas should be argued reasonably.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
matt4054
Legendary

Activity: 1946
Merit: 1035

View Profile
July 31, 2017, 12:40:54 PM

Just wondering how they will fork. Normally on a bitcoin address tomorrow there are btc and bcc. Same amount.

Yes.

August 1 12:20 UTC

When sending he bitcoins from there then the bcc would move together with them since the btc-transaction would also valid on the bcc-chain?

Also when sending bcc from a btc-address you would move the btc also since the bcc-transaction would be valid on the btc-chain also both coins?

There is reasonable replay protection in place, but malicious wallets fed with "common" private keys (pre-fork) could still tamper with your coins on the other chain, so the best is to split coins to a new wallet after the fork.
SebastianJu (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
July 31, 2017, 11:43:20 PM

Yes.

August 1 12:20 UTC

There is reasonable replay protection in place, but malicious wallets fed with "common" private keys (pre-fork) could still tamper with your coins on the other chain, so the best is to split coins to a new wallet after the fork.

And how can this be done safely and surely without the transaction being accepted on the other chain also?

matt4054
Legendary

Activity: 1946
Merit: 1035

View Profile
August 01, 2017, 12:36:21 AM

And how can this be done safely and surely without the transaction being accepted on the other chain also?

To "split" your coins safely, assuming you have a trusted environment and BTC wallet in the first place:

• Create an completely new BTC wallet, i.e. not sharing any keys with the old one
  • After the fork, move all your BTC from the old wallet to the new wallet
  • Once your old wallet is empty (on the BTC chain), export its private keys
  • Create a new "Bitcoin Cash" wallet, import private keys from your old BTC wallet

Now about the transaction not being accepted on the other chain:

The rationale behind replay protection is basically making transactions incompatible with the other chain by design, i.e. by consensus rules. If someone (or your wallet/client/whatever) records and broadcasts your transaction to the other chain, nodes will reject the transaction. You can read the UAHF specs that I linked in my previous post for the gory details.
SebastianJu (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
August 02, 2017, 12:43:13 AM

To "split" your coins safely, assuming you have a trusted environment and BTC wallet in the first place:

• Create an completely new BTC wallet, i.e. not sharing any keys with the old one
  • Create a new "Bitcoin Cash" wallet, import private keys from your old BTC wallet

The rationale behind replay protection is basically making transactions incompatible with the other chain by design, i.e. by consensus rules. If someone (or your wallet/client/whatever) records and broadcasts your transaction to the other chain, nodes will reject the transaction. You can read the UAHF specs that I linked in my previous post for the gory details.

Thanks for the explaination...

thend1949

Activity: 798
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 02, 2017, 01:00:09 AM

Thanks for the explaination...

Well, for me I see it that the actual scenario has done a quick and prepared server upgraded which hasn't affected smaller amount of bitcoin stored in my wallet. The said fork was being speculated before the reality happened, and it really went well so I am giving my full appreciation to those who handled the blockchain network improvements as well. So let's welcome the new breakthrough of digital currency system with it's promising systematic network with fastest transactions for the bitcoin's future.
newinbtc
Legendary

Activity: 1190
Merit: 1001

View Profile
August 02, 2017, 01:01:27 AM

Imagine
I have 1 btc before hard fork Bought at 2200$ value and After hard fork Value rises to 2700$ , How much Bitcoins i will get after hard fork Actually will bitcoin price drop down or Will remain same , Still many questions in mind

Currently have money in Block chain wallet , Is i need to Create another account or Creating a New wallet in same account using old keys ....
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: