Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 10:52:25 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Cash lost in the mail...  (Read 1950 times)
FlyingMoose (OP)

Activity: 45
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 03, 2010, 06:37:58 PM

I sent $100 cash to Morpheus to convert into MtGox $, but it never arrived.  I mailed it from a public mail box, so it wasn't stolen out of mine.

I can't think of a time that I've ever had first-class mail get lost before.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Be very wary of relying on JavaScript for security on crypto sites. The site can change the JavaScript at any time unless you take unusual precautions, and browsers are not generally known for their airtight security.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
jgarzik
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1091

View Profile
December 03, 2010, 06:41:20 PM

I sent $100 cash to Morpheus to convert into MtGox $, but it never arrived.  I mailed it from a public mail box, so it wasn't stolen out of mine.

Did you use USPS delivery notification?

Jeff Garzik, Bloq CEO, former bitcoin core dev team; opinions are my own.
Visit bloq.com / metronome.io
Donations / tip jar: 1BrufViLKnSWtuWGkryPsKsxonV2NQ7Tcj
morpheus

Activity: 164
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 03, 2010, 06:51:19 PM

The lost cash was very unfortunate. I've received cash from several others without incident. The cash from FlyingMoose simply did not show up. I'm not sure what happened. If FlyingMoose still want's to use my service, I'll wave my fee until it covers his loss.

I'm thinking of accepting postal money orders and checks in the mail which is much safer than cash. If the money order or check is lost in the mail, it can't be cashed by anyone else (not without difficulty) and the sender can simply cancel it and get their money back.

The only issue I seem to find with money orders and checks is fakes and bounced checks. Both seem to be easy to avoid by waiting for them to clear before sending bitcoin/Mt. Gox USD.

Are there any other issues I should be worried about? Anyone on this board have experience accepting checks in the mail for hard goods?
nanaimogold

Activity: 661
Merit: 251

View Profile
December 03, 2010, 07:23:34 PM

Missing mail is rare indeed.

More often is misdirected mail that is delivered or returned very late.

Don't give up on it yet.

jgarzik
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1091

View Profile
December 03, 2010, 07:42:01 PM

Theft of mail obviously containing cash or other valuables is not unheard of...

Jeff Garzik, Bloq CEO, former bitcoin core dev team; opinions are my own.
Visit bloq.com / metronome.io
Donations / tip jar: 1BrufViLKnSWtuWGkryPsKsxonV2NQ7Tcj
FreeMoney
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1014

Strength in numbers

View Profile WWW
December 03, 2010, 08:00:46 PM

Don't give up on it yet.

I recently had a piece of mail show up 5 months late.

Play Bitcoin Poker at sealswithclubs.eu. We're active and open to everyone.
nanaimogold

View Profile
December 03, 2010, 08:20:58 PM

Don't give up on it yet.

I recently had a piece of mail show up 5 months late.

Sometimes envelopes get jammed in the line. Once they are torn open, the inspector has to approve the re-packing. That can take months.

The key operators make mistakes. Did you know there is a small town in Kansas called Canada? lol

I've seen stuff returned for no good reason at all, months later. Very mysterious.

On more than one occasion I've had very late mail delivered with cash hanging out or visible in the clear re-packing used by the inspectors after the automated line has chewed up a letter.

People sometimes wrap cash up in lumps that will jam the line. Auto mail must be able to roll around a wheel 15 cm in diameter.

In Canada and USA the sender can pay for "tray sorting", which is done manually, by affixing double postage. Two stamp mail can therefore have bumps or odd shapes and weigh up to 50 grams.

The mail systems of the Western countries are incredibly reliable with England and Italy being exceptions. (The Royal Mail is fixing their problem and Italy north has always been good).

In contrast, some national postal systems are worse than a joke. In fact, one I heard recently goes like this, "How do they dispose of toxic waste in Zimbabwe?"
A: Put it in the mail.

By far and away the biggest problem I see in the mails is the dumfuk syndrome. Many people have become so stupid they can't properly address a letter anymore.

nanaimogold

View Profile
December 03, 2010, 08:36:55 PM

Oh, while I am ranting away about dumfuk syndrome, I want to rail on some web authors. Here are some fun facts to help get you mind unbound.

1) Only one country in the world calls their postal codes "zip".
2) only 2 countries in the world use a 5 digit numeric format.
3) together these two countries account for less than 5% of the people in the world.

So, when you make a web form that insists on a "zip" code being 5 numbers long, you have broken your form to 95% of the world.

To those who think this is unimportant I say, if you wanted to author for the USA-wide-web, you should have made that left turn at Albuquerque, Bugs, because this here is the WORLD wide web.

ribuck
Donator

Activity: 826
Merit: 1039

View Profile
December 03, 2010, 08:59:31 PM

The mail systems of the Western countries are incredibly reliable with England and Italy being exceptions.
You're not kidding! Every month I receive a few letters that should have been delivered to someone else.

Here's a 2004 article describing the problems:
Royal Mail 'loses 14.4m letters'

Having said that, my mail to morpheus has always been received.
nanaimogold

View Profile
December 03, 2010, 09:16:21 PM

The mail systems of the Western countries are incredibly reliable with England and Italy being exceptions.
You're not kidding! Every month I receive a few letters that should have been delivered to someone else.

Here's a 2004 article describing the problems:
Royal Mail 'loses 14.4m letters'

Having said that, my mail to morpheus has always been received.

This cracks me up;

The Communications Workers Union blamed underinvestment in the service and training for delivery mistakes.

Whatever you do, don't blurt out the ugly truth!

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: