Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 04:36:33 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Why Homeland Security might be the best thing to happen to Bitcoin  (Read 5157 times)
crazy_rabbit (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1001

RUM AND CARROTS: A PIRATE LIFE FOR ME

View Profile
May 15, 2013, 04:31:54 AM

Okay, as an American I can't help but think that Homeland Security might have a vested interest in not allowing the future of world currency to have it's power base in a non-american country.

Speaking cynically- this is a perfect opportunity for a large domestic (American Domestic) Bitcoin exchange to appear, most likely funded by the same people who fund the banks. (I know, tears in my eyes)

That said, for us "early adopters" it's a sign that Bitcoin is indeed the great all powerful financial dragon we always knew it to be. So dear Homeland security: I cringe at the thought that you might trample freedom, but if your actions serve to validate Bitcoin by reminding everyone you take it seriously as money (and subsequently make bitcoins worth $10,000 each down the road) I can but thank you.

There's a quote in american passports: "Go West Bitcoin young man, and grow up with the Nation".

Indeed! Exciting times!

EDIT: I'm just waiting for the quote "Those who would trade freedom for security deserve neither" to be worked into this.

more or less retired.
Activity + Trust + Earned Merit == The Most Recognized Users on Bitcointalk
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
gramma

Activity: 194
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 15, 2013, 04:35:31 AM

The NY Post seems to agree with you, and it is an interesting thought.  I look forward to what the morning will bring.

BTC: 1MrNRPo7p8DEyxn87c9BCGwrbatBQeCHc1
Benson Samuel
Legendary

Activity: 1890
Merit: 1000

Landscaping Bitcoin for India!

View Profile WWW
May 15, 2013, 04:37:20 AM

Okay, as an American I can't help but think that Homeland Security might have a vested interest in not allowing the future of world currency to have it's power base in a non-american country.

Speaking cynically- this is a perfect opportunity for a large domestic (American Domestic) Bitcoin exchange to appear, most likely funded by the same people who fund the banks. (I know, tears in my eyes)

That said, for us "early adopters" it's a sign that Bitcoin is indeed the great all powerful financial dragon we always knew it to be. So dear Homeland security: I cringe at the thought that you might trample freedom, but if your actions serve to validate Bitcoin by reminding everyone you take it seriously as money (and subsequently make bitcoins worth $10,000 each down the road) I can but thank you.

There's a quote in american passports: "Go West Bitcoin young man, and grow up with the Nation".

Indeed! Exciting times!

EDIT: I'm just waiting for the quote "Those who would trade freedom for security deserve neither" to be worked into this.

+1

freedomno1
Legendary

Activity: 1806
Merit: 1090

Learning the troll avoidance button :)

View Profile
May 15, 2013, 04:39:04 AM

Rarely can we say that Homeland security did good  Grin
Sorry topic name made me laugh nice

Believing in Bitcoins and it's ability to change the world
joesmoe2012

Activity: 882
Merit: 501

Ching-Chang;Ding-Dong

View Profile WWW
May 15, 2013, 04:47:42 AM

Hopefully it will force more, better exchanges.

Check out BitcoinATMTalk - https://bitcoinatmtalk.com
Elwar
Legendary

Activity: 3598
Merit: 2384

Viva Ut Vivas

View Profile WWW
May 15, 2013, 04:48:20 AM

Baby steps. They must have seen how many people were wanting exchanges to be more decentralized so they went after MtGox to help us all move on to many other exchanges.

Thanks DHS.

First seastead company actually selling sea homes: Ocean Builders https://ocean.builders  Of course we accept bitcoin.
joesmoe2012

Activity: 882
Merit: 501

Ching-Chang;Ding-Dong

View Profile WWW
May 15, 2013, 04:51:12 AM

Baby steps. They must have seen how many people were wanting exchanges to be more decentralized so they went after MtGox to help us all move on to many other exchanges.

Thanks DHS.

Exactly. Now that 90% of the traddes aren't hogged by mtgox, more exchanges will have the money to grow and thrive. The only reason mtgox is doing so well is all the media hype about it. Now that people will be forced to use different exchanges, we should consider ourselves lucky.

Spread out the money for trading to multiple exchanges, this is better for the trader because it introduces competition (of price, features, robustness, etc).

Hopefully a bunch of people don't lose their money though by mtgox claiming that the us govt seized the assets so there's nothing they can do.

I already bought BTC with all my USD@mtgox and sent it elsewhere.

Check out BitcoinATMTalk - https://bitcoinatmtalk.com
solex
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1002

100 satoshis -> ISO code

View Profile
May 15, 2013, 04:54:41 AM
Last edit: May 15, 2013, 05:04:57 AM by solex

I'm now not sure DHS is attacking Bitcoin. Maybe they are trying to attack specific users of it (e.g. online gambling providers):

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=178336.msg2152242#msg2152242

bobdude17

Activity: 454
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 15, 2013, 06:32:26 AM

Indeed! Exciting times!

Well said.
Stephen Gornick
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1010

View Profile
May 15, 2013, 10:44:21 AM

Okay, as an American

You might want to put an asterisk on that statement:

Would anyone be interested in a Bitcoin meetup here in Milano?

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █

aepfel

Activity: 83
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 15, 2013, 12:10:45 PM

That thread, my dearest crazy_rabbit made my day. Thank you!

Flowers:12bS438q2K2UMYHiaw2PcFzuKgiL4atvsP
bitmessage:BM-2DAaQwRQqsBuzW2j6AQHGQ9G2ePb9crmaV
Liquid

Activity: 826
Merit: 500

Crypto Somnium

View Profile
May 15, 2013, 12:21:04 PM

This calmed my thoughts thank you  Cheesy

Bitcoin will show the world what hard money really is.
alyssa85
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1088

CryptoTalk.Org - Get Paid for every Post!

View Profile
May 15, 2013, 01:30:01 PM

It's only an issue if you need exchanges to change back into fiat.

The worst thing that happened to bitcoin was speculators piling in treating it like a commodity to increase their dollars. It's meant to be a peer-to-peer currency - so as such doesn't need banks nor exchanges as long as you stay in Bitcoin-World once you have your coins. This obsession with "trading" back and forth into fiat and watching the dollar price is a weakness. Govts can only control fiat and the use of fiat, so all these exchanges are points of weakness because they need conversion into fiat. Eliminate the obsessive need to switch back into fiat and you eliminate the threat of govts.

Perhaps the community needs to switch focus on teaching people how to earn bitcoins and strengthening bitcoin commerce, so that people don't ever have to deal with exchanges and banks, bitcoins will just circulate within bitcoin-world. Once that happens, bitcoin is beyond the reach of any government.

Can someone explain to me why everyone is so obsessed with trading against fiat?

. ██████████.
                              .████████████████.
                           .██████████████████████.
                        -█████████████████████████████
                     .██████████████████████████████████.
                  -█████████████████████████████████████████
               -███████████████████████████████████████████████
           .-█████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       ..████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████..
       .   .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .      .████████████████████████████████████████████████.

.       .██████████████████████████████████████████████
       .    ██████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
           .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████
              .████████████████████████████████████████████████
                   ████████████████████████████████████████
                      ██████████████████████████████████
                          ██████████████████████████
                             ████████████████████
                               ████████████████
                                   █████████
.YoBit InvestBox.|.BUY X10 AND EARN 10% DAILY.🏆
uhoh

Activity: 742

Circle gets the Square

View Profile
May 15, 2013, 02:28:41 PM

Thanks DHS.

This. The best thing about this news: we might finally get some decent liquidity into BETTER exchanges.
Yogafan00000

Activity: 314
Merit: 251

View Profile
May 15, 2013, 02:31:28 PM

Can someone explain to me why everyone is so obsessed with trading against fiat?

You need exchanges to bootstrap the mainstream into the bitcoin currency.  This is going to take a decade and large numbers of people will not migrate into bitcoin without a stable exchange industry.

1YogAFA... (oh, nevermind)
stevegee58
Legendary

Activity: 916
Merit: 1003

View Profile
May 15, 2013, 02:45:08 PM

I welcome any events that mute this constant comparison between BTC and USD (or any other fiat currency for that matter).
We'll know when BTC has finally come of age when people are exchanging BTC for goods and services without first worrying about what the fiat exchange rate is.

You are in a maze of twisty little passages, all alike.
Zeke_Vermillion

Activity: 94
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 15, 2013, 04:09:53 PM

I'm now not sure DHS is attacking Bitcoin. Maybe they are trying to attack specific users of it (e.g. online gambling providers):

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=178336.msg2152242#msg2152242

I would agree that is the most likely scenario. Attacking online gambling, contraband merchants, etc. Maybe the fix is to have each exchange customer in a SEPARATE bank account so that the feds can seize a single offending account instead of shutting the whole system down.
Deslock Darkstar

Activity: 167
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
May 15, 2013, 04:34:32 PM

It's only an issue if you need exchanges to change back into fiat.

The worst thing that happened to bitcoin was speculators piling in treating it like a commodity to increase their dollars. It's meant to be a peer-to-peer currency - so as such doesn't need banks nor exchanges as long as you stay in Bitcoin-World once you have your coins. This obsession with "trading" back and forth into fiat and watching the dollar price is a weakness. Govts can only control fiat and the use of fiat, so all these exchanges are points of weakness because they need conversion into fiat. Eliminate the obsessive need to switch back into fiat and you eliminate the threat of govts.

Perhaps the community needs to switch focus on teaching people how to earn bitcoins and strengthening bitcoin commerce, so that people don't ever have to deal with exchanges and banks, bitcoins will just circulate within bitcoin-world. Once that happens, bitcoin is beyond the reach of any government.

DING, DING, DING! Give this person a cigar....

http://christopherleedavis.com · https://www.facebook.com/IllicitUnderground
BTC: 1MeAZefdSQNX3soHUx4iSjAtERvvrxGCVj - LTC: LLpEVtvTZ3g9nqM7CK7EdT6ydAL6RhkRy3
lunarboy

Activity: 544

View Profile
May 15, 2013, 05:18:57 PM

EDIT: I'm just waiting for the quote "Those who would trade freedom for fiat deserve neither" to be worked into this.

fixed  Grin
LorenzoMoney

Activity: 335
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 15, 2013, 05:30:42 PM

Why do we all obsess about the price of Bitcoin against fiat currency? Because you cannot yet walk into your local grocery store and buy food with bitcoin. Because almost no one is paid in bitcoin. The day that a person can work and get paid in bitcoin, can pay taxes in bitcoin, buy gasoline in bitcoin, pay rent in bitcoin and buy dog food in bitcoin is the day that no one will really worry about what the price of bitcoin is relative to any local fiat currency.

https://twitter.com/Lorenzo_Money -- Bitcoin Address: 1EttqaSSCksRAXrwejoChs5zmGjSikN9mC -- http://lorenzomoney.wordpress.com/
The Bulk of mankind is as well equipped for flying as thinking. - Jonathan Swift
DOGE COIN address: DSYMgD1HfmJFwNuc6Zvhp7PkrVD1QRBsgu
Pages: [1] 2 3  All
  Print  

Jump to: