Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 08:24:48 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Yay MtGox and the panic buy  (Read 2178 times)
mgio (OP)

Activity: 546
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 15, 2013, 06:05:55 AM

Price is shooting up so fast there is major goxlag.

Bitcoin never ceases to amaze me.

I guess Asia doesn't have the same MtGox money transfer problems that we have in the US Wink.
The block chain is the main innovation of Bitcoin. It is the first distributed timestamping system.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
BitPirate

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

RMBTB.com: The secure BTC:CNY exchange. 0% fee!

View Profile
May 15, 2013, 06:14:13 AM

In China, you can buy Bitcoins pretty much instantly with the two Chinese equivalents of PayPal.

Dwolla only caters to the USA -- I actually signed up with them; they looked international... but there's just no way to put in anything other than US details.

This news weakens the perceived value of traditional online payment processors -- they can be blocked at any time on a political whim.

Bitcoin, on the other hand -- can't.

Short term the price dropped, but it is actually pretty bullish news long-term. The US can continue to shoot themselves in the foot. They're getting quite good at it.

keatonatron

Activity: 308
Merit: 250

Jack of oh so many trades.

View Profile
May 15, 2013, 06:32:00 AM

After everyone in the US went to sleep, people in Europe started waking up to cheap coins Cheesy

1KEATSvAhbB7yj2baLB5xkyJSnkfqPGAqk
UltimateReaper

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 15, 2013, 06:33:18 AM

After everyone in the US went to sleep, people in Europe started waking up to cheap coins Cheesy

I managed to buy very near the bottom today but I wouldn't call them cheap by any means.
bitcon
Legendary

Activity: 2212
Merit: 1008

View Profile
May 15, 2013, 07:01:30 AM

i'm in US and selling a few hundred now.  hope it will dip an d can buy back lower. US Bears vs. European Bulls!

getting ~ $130 / BTC's on Virwox
mgio (OP)

View Profile
May 15, 2013, 07:16:51 AM

It's back up to $116 already. I'm impressed with bitcoin's resilence. I figured a much larger dip. Still made some coins on it at least. It pays to watch these forums very closely for news like this.

I bet it will dip tomorrow again, but probably not as much, and then bounce back again at night.

As a US bitcoin investor, Dwolla was GREAT! Only $0.25 per transfer and it could be done in one step right from MtGox's website from your bank account to MtGox (you never even had to go to dwolla's site). I'm not happy about using bank transfers now. I'm not sure you can even do them online.
joesmoe2012

Activity: 882
Merit: 501

Ching-Chang;Ding-Dong

View Profile WWW
May 15, 2013, 07:41:28 AM

i'm in US and selling a few hundred now.  hope it will dip an d can buy back lower. US Bears vs. European Bulls!

getting ~ $130 / BTC's on Virwox

I thought there were problems @ virwox with SLL?

Check out BitcoinATMTalk - https://bitcoinatmtalk.com
notme
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1002

View Profile
May 15, 2013, 07:44:44 AM

It's back up to $116 already. I'm impressed with bitcoin's resilence. I figured a much larger dip. Still made some coins on it at least. It pays to watch these forums very closely for news like this.

I bet it will dip tomorrow again, but probably not as much, and then bounce back again at night.

As a US bitcoin investor, Dwolla was GREAT! Only $0.25 per transfer and it could be done in one step right from MtGox's website from your bank account to MtGox (you never even had to go to dwolla's site). I'm not happy about using bank transfers now. I'm not sure you can even do them online.

It's back down to $111 already. I'm depressed with bitcoin's fragility. I figured a much larger recovery. Still made some coins on it at least. It pays to watch these forums very closely for news like this.

I bet it will rise tomorrow again, but probably not as much, and then fall back again at night.

https://www.bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
While no idea is perfect, some ideas are useful.
Zaih

Activity: 504

View Profile
May 15, 2013, 09:03:27 AM

Great way to look at it  Cool
keatonatron

Activity: 308
Merit: 250

Jack of oh so many trades.

View Profile
May 15, 2013, 09:05:42 AM

I managed to buy very near the bottom today but I wouldn't call them cheap by any means.

When I started they were $4, so no, I wouldn't either. But for a newcomer who goes to sleep when they are $120 and wakes up when they are $104, it can feel cheap  Wink

1KEATSvAhbB7yj2baLB5xkyJSnkfqPGAqk
sturle
Legendary

Activity: 1437

https://bitmynt.no

View Profile WWW
May 15, 2013, 09:35:18 AM

People are so irrational it hurts!

It has become slightly more difficult for USAnians to transfer money to MtGox.  The only rational thing to do would be to get in all USD they have and buy BTC now!  It is the only logical move.  Moving USD from the USA to Bitcoin exchanges isn't going to become any easier, and it will be easy to find private buyers paying a good price for BTC within the US.

For the rest of the world, i.e. 60-70% of the customers, the change is irrelevant.  And those are the ones buying!  The price at MtGox is higher in most other currencies than USD at the moment.  Indicating that people trading in other currencies are buying while the USD users are selling.

This is completely irrational, but as expected.  Most people follow their feelings, not logic.  They don't think first, and if they do it is to justify what their feelings tell them to do.

Sjå https://bitmynt.no for veksling av bitcoin mot norske kroner.  Trygt, billig, raskt og enkelt sidan 2010.
I buy with EUR and other currencies at a fair market price when you want to sell.  See http://bitmynt.no/eurprice.pl
Warning: "Bitcoin" XT, Classic, Unlimited and the likes are scams. Don't use them, and don't listen to their shills.
N12
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1610
Merit: 1010

View Profile
May 15, 2013, 10:58:01 AM

Sturle, why? International wires still work. Maybe this is what some are doing.
sturle
Legendary

Activity: 1437

https://bitmynt.no

View Profile WWW
May 15, 2013, 11:07:57 AM

International wire is what most of their customers, at least by volume, have been doing always.  Dwolla is OK for small transfers.  I have been using international bank transfer instead of SEPA because the price in USD is usually below the price in EUR, and liquidity in USD is much better.  For international wires you don't have to wait for AML stuff either.  It is clearly the best option in most of the world.  Dwolla may make sense to USAnians who transfer less than 5000 USD at a time and don't mind waiting for a month to get started.  Small time miners who need a few dollars to pay their utility bills.

Sjå https://bitmynt.no for veksling av bitcoin mot norske kroner.  Trygt, billig, raskt og enkelt sidan 2010.
I buy with EUR and other currencies at a fair market price when you want to sell.  See http://bitmynt.no/eurprice.pl
Warning: "Bitcoin" XT, Classic, Unlimited and the likes are scams. Don't use them, and don't listen to their shills.
mgio (OP)

View Profile
May 15, 2013, 03:42:24 PM

International wire is what most of their customers, at least by volume, have been doing always.  Dwolla is OK for small transfers.  I have been using international bank transfer instead of SEPA because the price in USD is usually below the price in EUR, and liquidity in USD is much better.  For international wires you don't have to wait for AML stuff either.  It is clearly the best option in most of the world.  Dwolla may make sense to USAnians who transfer less than 5000 USD at a time and don't mind waiting for a month to get started.  Small time miners who need a few dollars to pay their utility bills.

I've managed to accumulate almost 1000 coins using only Dwolla. I wasn't even aware there was a Dwolla limit. I transfered $5000 chunks to MtGox more than once with Dwolla.
vokain
Legendary

Activity: 1834
Merit: 1019

View Profile WWW
May 15, 2013, 03:54:57 PM

You can transfer multiple 5000s chunks at once as well.
Rygon

Activity: 520

View Profile
May 15, 2013, 04:05:49 PM

I've managed to accumulate almost 1000 coins using only Dwolla. I wasn't even aware there was a Dwolla limit. I transfered $5000 chunks to MtGox more than once with Dwolla.

+1. And once everything was set up and verified, the timeline was a week on average, even for amounts over $1000
byronbb
Legendary

Activity: 1414
Merit: 1000

HODL OR DIE

View Profile
May 15, 2013, 04:30:59 PM

Amazing how robust the price is to the down side. I highly doubt a 20k panic buy into the asks would 'only' move the market by 10%.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: