Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 12:47:18 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: I use Coinbase instead of Dwolla  (Read 1090 times)
mercSuey (OP)

Activity: 364
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 15, 2013, 07:47:30 AM

This is just a friendly suggestion.  If you reside in the USA and relied on Dwolla to buy BTC, you can do the same with Coinbase.com.  It's a start-up company that has been around for awhile and I've used them for a few months now.  Quite reliable, although there is a wait time from when your order completed to when you actually have your BTC to withdraw to an exchange.  Check it out for more info:  http://www.coinbase.com

edit:  I forgot to mention very low fees...nothing like the awful fees charged by bitinstant.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
TalkImg was created especially for hosting images on bitcointalk.org: try it next time you want to post an image
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
zrgf

Activity: 44
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 15, 2013, 12:54:31 PM

I pretty much agree. IMO, are two downsides to coinbase:

1. The (aforementioned) waiting period after you have purchased (I find this acceptable, but some may not ... because the price is locked in at the moment of purchase, so that seems good enough)

2. The fact that they have a certain quota of BTC to buy and sell every day, so if you're late in the day, they may not allow a purchase or a sale. This problem may be going away since they just got a big round of funding.
mercSuey (OP)

View Profile
May 15, 2013, 02:13:58 PM

I pretty much agree. IMO, are two downsides to coinbase:

1. The (aforementioned) waiting period after you have purchased (I find this acceptable, but some may not ... because the price is locked in at the moment of purchase, so that seems good enough)

2. The fact that they have a certain quota of BTC to buy and sell every day, so if you're late in the day, they may not allow a purchase or a sale. This problem may be going away since they just got a big round of funding.

1. Agreed.  As long as price is locked in from time of order, I find it acceptable as well.

2.  Exactly.  My understanding is this limit should get better after their recent round of funding, as well as the wait time after completing an order. 

Selling bitcoins and having my checking account credited after a few days is pretty awesome though...
UPENtXF

Activity: 125
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 15, 2013, 02:48:46 PM

Coinbase is ok. I wish they would have a way to set a certain price target. So that it would automatically buy or sell for you at that rate.

"To change something, build a new model that makes the existing model obsolete." -Buckminster Fuller
https://bisq.network/
cryptoanarchist
Legendary

Activity: 1120
Merit: 1003

View Profile
May 15, 2013, 02:50:17 PM

Coinbase appears to be ran by the same old gang of douchebag insiders.

I go through localbitcoins and buy from the miners in my area.

I'm grumpy!!
Severian

Activity: 476

View Profile
May 15, 2013, 02:51:43 PM

Be aware that when you deal with Coinbase, you're essentially handing your info over to whatever government agency wishes to see it.

And then there's this too.
mercSuey (OP)

View Profile
May 15, 2013, 03:25:05 PM

Be aware that when you deal with Coinbase, you're essentially handing your info over to whatever government agency wishes to see it.

And then there's this too.

Yes, I wanted to research it more regarding their reporting and privacy.  But since Dwolla and Coinbase have similar verification mechanisms (ie. how they verify your checking account), I figured this concern would have been raised already with regards to Dwolla, unless I just plain missed it.  Thanks for the heads up.
joesmoe2012

Activity: 882
Merit: 501

Ching-Chang;Ding-Dong

View Profile WWW
May 15, 2013, 08:41:48 PM

Takes a month or more to get a limit of 10 btc per day.

Then the max is 50btc a day.

I can do 20 times that on gox, don't see how this is an alternative at all.

Also coin labs frequently, "exceeds there limits" and thus you cannot purchase coins the same day.

You also don't get the coins the same day as purchase, but rather 3-5 days later.

Lastly I believe there rate is based on mtgox plus an approx 1 percent commission. That's way too high.

Not saying its a bad company, but certainly not alternative to wiring to gox.

Check out BitcoinATMTalk - https://bitcoinatmtalk.com
mercSuey (OP)

View Profile
May 15, 2013, 10:34:13 PM

Takes a month or more to get a limit of 10 btc per day.

Then the max is 50btc a day.

I can do 20 times that on gox, don't see how this is an alternative at all.

Also coin labs frequently, "exceeds there limits" and thus you cannot purchase coins the same day.

You also don't get the coins the same day as purchase, but rather 3-5 days later.

Lastly I believe there rate is based on mtgox plus an approx 1 percent commission. That's way too high.

Not saying its a bad company, but certainly not alternative to wiring to gox.

Joe, you find wiring to gox a reliable way to get funds into BTC quickly?  Is your wire processed within 48 hours?  And the BTC is immediately available for withdraw?  I might have to try it if so.  And what about limit?  Can I wire more than $1K?
joesmoe2012

Activity: 882
Merit: 501

Ching-Chang;Ding-Dong

View Profile WWW
May 15, 2013, 11:26:36 PM

Wires always clear the next business day.

Check out BitcoinATMTalk - https://bitcoinatmtalk.com
btc_lurker

Activity: 78
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 16, 2013, 01:38:42 AM

What, exactly, is the guarantee that Coinbase won't suffer the same problem as Dwolla ?

The issue is about MtGox not properly filling papers, so any service based on US dealing with MtGox is a potential target for shutdown. If that is not the case due to MtGox "re-filling" papers correctly, I would be more than glad to know.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: