Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 06:44:27 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Request:I need USB portable versions of Bitcoin client and GUIminer  (Read 6486 times)
film2240 (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1022
Merit: 1000

Freelance videographer

View Profile WWW
June 21, 2011, 01:27:45 PM
Last edit: July 14, 2011, 07:43:52 PM by film2240

Hi,
I need someone who has the expertise to help develop these for me:
1.A portable version of hte official Bitcoin client (For PC and Mac if possible)
2.A portable GUI miner app (as this uses the official bitcoin client for solo mining due to the router rules at home and in my workplace) (for PC and mac if possible)

I simply need them to be completely self contained so that I can keep all my files safe when used on a work machine and not leave traces behind for thieves to steal btc wallet contents.

I need this made for me as part of an experiment I need to carry out in the next 3 months.

The experiment:
1.Use 10 computer systems simultaneously at the same time while keeping my home pc running so that I can boost my mining performance whilst reducing power consumpton on my home PC.This will be done so see how fast 50BTc can be mined
2.The same as experiment 1 but with 4 computers including my home PC at maximum performance as opposed to 10 (with power savings options disabled)
3.The first set of experiments will be CPU only.The 2nd set will be GPU only.These 2 sets will be run twice before moving to the next experiment. (this part is removed as this only creates complications without benefitting anything)

Expected outcomes:
1.The person or people who developed the apps in question for me will get paid 5BTC (20BTC if successful) of the BTC mined as a result of this experiment (if successful).Don't give me ur BTC address until the experiment is finished please.
2.I will have more than quadrupled mining performance while using the experimental setup.This is my prediction.
3.I will have at least 250BTC at my disposal by the end of this experiment.

I'd like to hear what you think of:
1.The possibility of development of these portable apps (as I have no such skill in app dev)
2.The experiment itself.

Thank you

[This signature is available for rent.BTC/ETH/LTC or £50 equivalent a month]

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"The nature of Bitcoin is such that once version 0.1 was released, the core design was set in stone for the rest of its lifetime." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
SgtSpike
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1005

View Profile
June 21, 2011, 04:19:42 PM

Lofty goals...

All you need to mine is guiminer if you're mining with a pool.  Or you can set up your own rpc server at home, and as long as you open the proper ports, it can be opened up to allow for external connections.  And you can just download and unzip guiminer to your flash drive, it doesn't have to be a portable version.

The likelyhood of you generating a block, even with 10 computers at your disposal, is extremely slim.  So good luck with that, and especially with determining the differences between the setups based on how often you generate a block.
film2240 (OP)
Legendary

Freelance videographer

View Profile WWW
June 21, 2011, 05:40:48 PM

That is very good info Sgt spike

so GUIminer can be run without installing it 1st.

Can the bitcoin client be used the same?

I only do this solo on each machine because of router issues with the port forwarding at my end and at the workplace end (as they block certain ports normally used for p2p or 'bad' sites)

Thanx 4 the help tho.

How can I keep the wallets secure on a usb key?If I have this on 5 different ufds (1 runs on each of the 5 comps l8r in the experiment),can I combine the wallet files of these ufds into 1 to get a true representation of mining performance?

How do I setup my rpc server on my home Pc?
The PC spec is:
core i7 920 cpu 2.67ghz (3ghz OC'd)
6gb ram ddr3 type
3 hdds
win 7 64 bit

Wot tool do I use for setting up my own pool/server?so that I can direct those 10 rigs to mine onto that server.

I plan to use the new computer lab at workplace as their machinse r high spec (GPU above avg but still not as gd at my main pcs gpu) they have gd cpus but we both know that cpu mining in worthless now.

I only mentioned CPU due to the possibility of the work machines not having open cl installed or requiring admin rights to use the gpus that I just don't have as work tends to heavily lock down PCs outside hte new lab.

Sukrim
Legendary

Activity: 2618
Merit: 1006

View Profile
June 21, 2011, 06:00:51 PM

...only if you buy 250 BTC Wink

Also I don't see the reason why you want to do this as an "experiment". Mining really works, but even if you had 10 PCs with 4 top-notch GPUs each at hand it's not very likely that you'd see ANY block pop up.

https://www.coinlend.org <-- automated lending at various exchanges.
https://www.bitfinex.com <-- Trade BTC for other currencies and vice versa.
film2240 (OP)
Legendary

Freelance videographer

View Profile WWW
June 21, 2011, 06:16:27 PM

...only if you buy 250 BTC Wink

Also I don't see the reason why you want to do this as an "experiment". Mining really works, but even if you had 10 PCs with 4 top-notch GPUs each at hand it's not very likely that you'd see ANY block pop up.

Because of cost cutting measures I'm required to follow in terms of hardware I can upgrade to.It's easier for me to use multiple machines at work than it is 4 me to upgrade my gpu atm.
Mining does work (y do u think i'm disputing this?cus im not)

The experiment is to try and see if I can boost mining capability at the same time as cutting costs as well on my side like electricity and new GPU.It's kinda like outsourcing but that doesn't always work. I guess I'll never know unless I carry this out.

Why wouldn't I see a block pop up when I plan to mine on 10 PC's plus my own with top-notch GPUs in each one.Is there something I've missed on this?

ok.for example if my home PC only gives me 35.5MHash/s (which Im told would take 3.2yrs if im lucky with just that gpu) due to weak GPU but I then add 10 more with much better GPU that gives out say 150MHash/s.150 x 10=1500 +35.3 would be in TOTAL 1535.5MHash/s or 1.53GHash/s in total.

So a block should appear much faster than 1 pc could surely?

Sukrim
Legendary

Activity: 2618
Merit: 1006

View Profile
June 21, 2011, 06:32:23 PM

1.5 GH/s would take on average ("on average" means: if you mine 1000 blocks at the current difficulty, it would likely take this much time * 1000, not that you'd see a blocka fter this much time!) at current difficulty (which will most likely increase!) 1 month.

https://www.coinlend.org <-- automated lending at various exchanges.
https://www.bitfinex.com <-- Trade BTC for other currencies and vice versa.
film2240 (OP)
Legendary

Freelance videographer

View Profile WWW
July 13, 2011, 10:24:36 AM

Update:
Since my request was first put up on here,Several things have changed.

1.My GPU was able to be upgraded since 2 weeks ago to a Radeon Hd 6950 which has since been shader unlocked and OC'd to 895MHZ core clock and 949MHZ mem clock.I use these settings due to stability.
2.After learning that GUIMiner can simply be extracted to a USB drive and can just be run from there,I guess that someones already done my work for me so thank you. Can GUIMiner be run without admin rights on the computers in question?
3.Due to changes in Mining difficulty,it has been decided that I'll shut down all mining operations on my MBP (as the most I get now is 0.004 which is pointless for a long time now) and focus all efforts on my main PC (which is mining with an upgraded GPU). I know that sometimes mining with multiple computers can sound good but if you use less capable systems alongside your more powerful rigs,you may as well mine with the 1 powerful rig and shutdown all the others.That way I can actually lower my energy costs while increasing mining output at the same time.
4.The experiment will still go ahead as most machines at work tend to have GPUs that are better than those in my MBP but due to access issues,I can only use a limited no of machines now.

5.I plan on marking this thread as resolved and later on close this thread if need be.

Thank you for the replies tho guys :-)

Aresdos

Activity: 34
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 14, 2011, 07:44:40 AM

1.A portable version of hte official Bitcoin client (For PC and Mac if possible)
2.A portable GUI miner app (as this uses the official bitcoin client for solo mining due to the router rules at home and in my workplace) (for PC and mac if possible)
1.The person or people who developed the apps in question for me will get paid 5BTC (20BTC if successful) of the BTC mined as a result of this experiment (if successful).Don't give me ur BTC address until the experiment is finished please.

Will this help..? I made this a month ago: http://www.fileswap.com/dl/0JsDaGd/BitcoinPortable_v1.2.zip.html
Also, here's the forum topic with a lil info on it.. http://forum.bitcoin.org/index.php?topic=18870
(Maybe I'll get my first bitcoins finally ^^)

And the GuiMiner should be an easy copy/paste to work, even on usb... Good luck and keep me updated, wanna hear if it all works out for ya! =)
film2240 (OP)
Legendary

Freelance videographer

View Profile WWW
July 14, 2011, 09:29:44 AM

1.A portable version of hte official Bitcoin client (For PC and Mac if possible) Already developed by Aresdos.Kudos to you.
2.A portable GUI miner app (as this uses the official bitcoin client for solo mining due to the router rules at home and in my workplace) (for PC and mac if possible).This is already resolved.

Will this help..? I made this a month ago: http://www.fileswap.com/dl/0JsDaGd/BitcoinPortable_v1.2.zip.html
Also, here's the forum topic with a lil info on it.. http://forum.bitcoin.org/index.php?topic=18870
(Maybe I'll get my first bitcoins finally ^^)

And the GuiMiner should be an easy copy/paste to work, even on usb... Good luck and keep me updated, wanna hear if it all works out for ya! =)

Earlier tests show that your portable Bitcoin client works much faster then the official client,and appears to be reliable.I'll need to mine a few more bitcoins so that I can give some to you as promised.PM me your BTC address so that I can pay you as soon as I've mined enough from the experiment.(Only mined 1.4 BTC so far due to circumstances and lack of access to work computers)

UPDATE:The payment will change from the original system planned.Since you successfully developed a portable version of the official client that is problem free,I'll pay you 1BTC in the next 2 weeks (as I still have to mine more atm),then after that,you'll recieve extra payment.The 1BTC is just for starters of course.If the App stays problem free after a month of testing (or 2) a bonus payment will be made as well.

film2240 (OP)
Legendary

Freelance videographer

View Profile WWW
July 18, 2011, 04:08:41 PM

Lofty goals...

All you need to mine is guiminer if you're mining with a pool.  Or you can set up your own rpc server at home, and as long as you open the proper ports, it can be opened up to allow for external connections.  And you can just download and unzip guiminer to your flash drive, it doesn't have to be a portable version.

The likelyhood of you generating a block, even with 10 computers at your disposal, is extremely slim.  So good luck with that, and especially with determining the differences between the setups based on how often you generate a block.

How do I setup my own rpc server for mining?
So that I can earn 50btc faster by using several computers at my disposal?

I need this to have a method of setup thats not too complicated.

deslok

Activity: 462
Merit: 250

It's all about the game, and how you play it

View Profile
July 22, 2011, 04:06:47 AM

Lofty goals...

How do I setup my own rpc server for mining?
So that I can earn 50btc faster by using several computers at my disposal?

I need this to have a method of setup thats not too complicated.

i'm going to direct you to this thread here it discusses changes neccisarry to the conf file for making your own rpc server

"If we don't hang together, by Heavens we shall hang separately." - Benjamin Franklin

If you found that funny or something i said useful i always appreciate spare change
1PczDQHfEj3dJgp6wN3CXPft1bGB23TzTM
Roddy5690

Activity: 40
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 04, 2013, 10:31:14 AM

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=134233.0 <-- Here is a portable launcher for guiminer.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: