Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 07:09:01 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Knowledge check: If a government had only 2 functions,what would they be?  (Read 3305 times)
johnniewalker (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 896
Merit: 1000

View Profile
May 15, 2013, 10:14:00 AM

First of all, there is technically a "right"answer. That is, according to a highly-knowledgeable  economist (Oxford/Cambridge). I wish I remembered his name, I REALLY do. He said he was an all-out libertarian, bordering on anarchist (he lol'd). I am also a Libertarian (maybe not as fanatic as him, but I am one) so I liked listening to him.

One thing he said has been on my mind for close to a week now. He said that we as a nation would thrive and be most free if our government only had 2 functions. The invisible hand, he said would take care of the rest.

So what do you guys think? I don't think he's crazy. Either way, post what you think those 2 functions are and later I'll reveal the answer (again, according to him).

Lets have a FUN (no computer screen drama) debate over politics and whatever else this brings up! Smiley

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
In order to get the maximum amount of activity points possible, you just need to post once per day on average. Skipping days is OK as long as you maintain the average.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
bitdragon

Activity: 609
Merit: 501

peace

View Profile WWW
May 15, 2013, 10:17:25 AM

1) to be as small as possible

5flags

Activity: 224
Merit: 100

Professional anarchist

View Profile WWW
May 15, 2013, 10:20:03 AM

1. Protection of private property, specifically threat to private property from coercion or fraud.

2. Protection of individual liberty from violent coercion.

http://5fla.gs - @5flags on Twitter
X_X_X

Activity: 117
Merit: 23

View Profile
May 15, 2013, 10:54:32 AM

1. Protection of private property, specifically threat to private property from coercion or fraud.

These two are basically the same, it's about security.

My answer:

1. Whatever related to security, includying police, army, tribunals, jails...
2. All the basic road infrastructures.
nwbitcoin

Activity: 294
Merit: 250

You are a geek if you are too early to the party!

View Profile WWW
May 15, 2013, 11:01:33 AM

The invisible hand was a reference used a lot by Adam Smith, the Father of modern economics.

As for the 2 roles of government, one is the security of the land from outside forces, the other is the enforcer of law inside the country.

Really, its just about enforcing and protecting property rights and nothing much else.

All other elements of society can be provided by a third party. Road infrastructure, health, education and welfare don't have to be done by government, although many people couldn't imagine a world where they weren't!

*Image Removed*
I use Localbitcoins to sell bitcoins for GBP by bank transfer!
Gareth Nelson

Activity: 721
Merit: 503

View Profile
May 15, 2013, 11:03:58 AM

I can think of 3, it's hard to cut down to 2:

1 - National defence against foreign invasion and other military threats
2 - Protection of human rights (don't laugh)
3 - Enforcement of contracts
5flags

Activity: 224
Merit: 100

Professional anarchist

View Profile WWW
May 15, 2013, 12:15:54 PM

How about this: to provide the benchmark of sexual deviancy??

http://5fla.gs - @5flags on Twitter
townf

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 15, 2013, 02:53:21 PM

1. Fleece everybody so as to have enough money to bribe the desperate to not revolt.
2. Spy on you.
Severian

Activity: 476

View Profile
May 15, 2013, 02:54:46 PM

1. ) Leave peaceful citizens the hell alone.

2. ) See 1.
townf

View Profile
May 15, 2013, 02:55:44 PM

1. Expand
2. Control
Hawker
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1001

View Profile
May 15, 2013, 02:56:07 PM

How about this: to provide the benchmark of sexual deviancy??

Take the word "sexual" out of that and you have an essential role of government.  It enforces norms of behaviour and its enforcement action creates a benchmark that people treat as a kind of morality.  
Bonam

Activity: 420

View Profile
May 15, 2013, 02:57:22 PM

As for the 2 roles of government, one is the security of the land from outside forces, the other is the enforcer of law inside the country.

Pretty sure that's indeed the correct answer: (1) national defense and (2) rule of law.
townf

View Profile
May 15, 2013, 03:00:06 PM

1. Imperialize
2. Misinform
townf

View Profile
May 15, 2013, 03:06:54 PM

1. Pee into the wind
2. Shit on everything
myrkul

Activity: 532
Merit: 500

FIAT LIBERTAS RVAT CAELVM

View Profile WWW
May 15, 2013, 03:16:29 PM

Pretty sure that's indeed the correct answer: (1) national defense and (2) rule of law.
Yeah, that's my vote too. Essentially:
1. Police/military (they're pretty much the same thing, especially if the military is used only defensively)
2. Courts

The thing is, monopoly power distorts even these two essential functions. In brief, when the government is the law, they are above the law. Market forces can take care of everything, and there is no need for a monopoly on those services.

BTC1MYRkuLv4XPBa6bGnYAronz55grPAGcxja
Need Dispute resolution? Public Key ID: 0x11D341CF
No person has the right to initiate force, threat of force, or fraud against another person or their property. VIM VI REPELLERE LICET
Akka
Legendary

Activity: 1232
Merit: 1001

View Profile
May 15, 2013, 03:25:50 PM

Yeah, that's my vote too. Essentially:
1. Police/military (they're pretty much the same thing, especially if the military is used only defensively)
2. Courts

The thing is, monopoly power distorts even these two essential functions. In brief, when the government is the law, they are above the law. Market forces can take care of everything, and there is no need for a monopoly on those services.

I also think the first is courts. Basically only acting as neutral and deciding Party when there are disputes between citizens / companies in this country or other countries.

I'm not so sure about the military. Community Militias can form sufficient means for defense. Wealth People and companies could pay for the equipment while every citizens agrees to defend the country if attacked.

I would say the second is diplomacy. As long as there are other Governments. The free nation would need to be represented towards them through a single entity.

All previous versions of currency will no longer be supported as of this update
myrkul

View Profile WWW
May 15, 2013, 03:55:45 PM

I'm not so sure about the military. Community Militias can form sufficient means for defense. Wealth People and companies could pay for the equipment while every citizens agrees to defend the county if attacked.
Indeed. In fact, there's solid evidence that military force is not a natural monopoly. Even in cases where a professional military is desired, bureaucratic concerns limit it's "optimal" size below that of a national force, even below that of some smaller markets.

I would say the second is diplomacy. As long as there are other Governments. The free nation would need to be represented towards them through a single entity.
This is a good point, but what purpose would a diplomat serve? I mean, foreign policy could be summed up in a press release: "We'll trade with anyone who comes in peace, and woe betide any who come in war."

No person has the right to initiate force, threat of force, or fraud against another person or their property. VIM VI REPELLERE LICET
lonelyminer (Peter Šurda)
Donator

Activity: 544

View Profile
May 15, 2013, 04:29:50 PM

So what do you guys think? I don't think he's crazy. Either way, post what you think those 2 functions are and later I'll reveal the answer (again, according to him).
  • Preserve the anthem.
  • Preserve the flag.
Ideally in a museum funded by donations.
RoadToHell

Activity: 260

View Profile
May 15, 2013, 04:31:08 PM

1) Ask for forgiveness.
2) Disband.

Sam Spade: We were talking about a lot more money than this.
Kasper Gutman: Yes, sir, we were, but this is genuine coin of the realm. With a dollar of this, you can buy ten dollars of talk.
myrkul

View Profile WWW
May 15, 2013, 04:43:12 PM

• Preserve the anthem.
  • Preserve the flag.
Ideally in a museum funded by donations.
+1

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: