Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 10:48:11 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: How do you know if you have a botnet on your system?  (Read 3021 times)
blazin8s (OP)

Activity: 180
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 15, 2013, 10:17:36 AM

I took a 2 hour nap to come back and find that the first GPU on my system is running full throttle, memory maxed out and everything & I have no mining or intensive programs open that would do this.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Bitcoin: mining our own business since 2009" -- Pieter Wuille
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
5flags

Activity: 224

Professional anarchist

View Profile WWW
May 15, 2013, 10:23:03 AM

A good indicator of your system being part of a botnet is if you go for a two hour nap and come back to find your GPU maxed out for no reason.

Seriously though, you have AV software?

http://5fla.gs - @5flags on Twitter
blazin8s (OP)

View Profile
May 15, 2013, 10:25:12 AM

Yeah I do but I'm assuming some of these guys are smart enough to get around that.
empoweoqwj

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 15, 2013, 10:37:31 AM

Did you leave your door open during the nap?  Grin

Seriously, start by identifying what you have downloaded in last 24-48 hrs. Also, some network activity software will tell you if stuff is being uploaded / downloaded from your system. Pay careful attention to network activity. They can't make use of your machine unless they send stuff to / from it
BenTuras

Activity: 826
Merit: 1001

View Profile
May 15, 2013, 11:00:45 AM

If you're on windows, did you check the task manager for any funky looking process names ?
And on Linux, do ps -ef|more and do the same check.

Just google all names you don't recognise. You might find the 'bot' program.

I am selling in stock OneStringMiner boards, based on the Bitfury chips. Have a look here: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=495536.0
niko

Activity: 756
Merit: 501

There is more to Bitcoin than bitcoins.

View Profile
May 15, 2013, 11:02:15 AM

Did you leave your door open during the nap?  Grin

Seriously, start by identifying what you have downloaded in last 24-48 hrs. Also, some network activity software will tell you if stuff is being uploaded / downloaded from your system. Pay careful attention to network activity. They can't make use of your machine unless they send stuff to / from it
Technically, you cannot trust the potentially infected machine to monitor and report the network traffic. You need is of these:

They're there, in their room.
Your mining rig is on fire, yet you're very calm.
empoweoqwj

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 15, 2013, 11:49:17 AM

Technically, that depends on what if anything has infected your machine. I'm just saying its a good first step to run some free monitoring software before investing in hardware.

Another thing to try is taking your machine offline completely, reboot it, make sure its still offline, and see if the card goes crazy again. If it is calm, then try connecting to the Net and if it goes crazy, you definitely have some kind of graphic card bot sucking the blood out of your card.

There was that FPS free shooting game (counter-strike or another one?) that some pratty programmer put secret mining code in a couple of weeks back. Could be that, or a dozen other things .........
blazin8s (OP)

View Profile
May 17, 2013, 12:49:32 AM
Last edit: May 17, 2013, 04:15:12 AM by blazin8s

Thanks guys.  I ended up doing a reformat to be safe.  There was definitely something fishy going on.  The video card thing stopped after I closed a few ports that I had opened for previous solo mining sessions.  The few days prior to that I had installed 15 wallets for different coins, so maybe that is a possibility.  But I think what might have happened is I clicked a link in a forum that was posted by a guy who openly admitted to being a botnet runner.  The page that it took me too immediately aroused my suspicions.  He was the admin of the site so I mistakenly trusted his link.  The deal sealer was when today I noticed the first two cores on my processor were running full throttle and labels as "system".  Even after reboots and such.

All is good now and I will use VMs from now on to be very safe.  I also have 2 full 3rd party package AV/Firewalls installed and 4 of the best full time running anti-malware/spyware progs running.  As well as peerblocker  Cheesy  Maybe it would worth finding a hosts file as well that is filled with all the latest "junk".

Hey btw niko what is that box you posted?  What does it do and where can I get one?  Is that similar to a PFsense box?  I haven't read much on the PFsense yet, but maybe it's something I should figure out, or that box that you posted.  Cheesy  I do have DD-WRT though that I previously flashed a while back to increase maximum simultaneous connections, maybe I should learn how to beef up some of the firewall settings.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: