Bitcoin Forum
June 19, 2024, 08:24:43 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: [Critical Update] Feathercoin 0.6.4 - Hard Fork at block 33,000  (Read 13818 times)
bushstar (OP)

Activity: 617
Merit: 531

View Profile
May 18, 2013, 08:23:44 PM

The stats page has now been updated to get the block time and retarget time from the last 120 blocks so not always the last retarget. If the retarget is less than 120 block before the current block, then it will count back to the retarget.

http://stats.feathercoin.com/

Expected Time per Block   0 day(s), 1 hour(s), 7 min, 41 sec
Time to Retarget   7 day(s), 8 hour(s), 0 min, 42 sec

flound1129

Activity: 938
Merit: 1000

www.multipool.us

View Profile
May 19, 2013, 10:23:02 PM

A 41% drop in difficulty is not going to be enough to get the profitability to a point where people are going to start mining this again on a large scale unless the price rises..  Maybe after the second adjustment.

Multipool - Always mine the most profitable coin - Scrypt, X11 or SHA-256!
erk

Activity: 826
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 19, 2013, 10:31:36 PM

A 41% drop in difficulty is not going to be enough to get the profitability to a point where people are going to start mining this again on a large scale unless the price rises..  Maybe after the second adjustment.
That's right, I pointed it out earlier, most likely some time in July the block rate will be attractive to miners again. The next change will bring down the time between blocks to around an hour, and there are over 500 blocks to do until the change after that, which will be late June, but it's arguable if that difficulty will be good enough so yet another change will most likely be required putting it well into July.
smoothie
Legendary

Activity: 2492
Merit: 1473

LEALANA Bitcoin Grim Reaper

View Profile
May 20, 2013, 02:43:44 AM

This is a complete repeat of what happened to name coin in summer of 2011.

Making changes like this fixes nothing really.

Prepare for the FTC price drop as the diff adjust is capped on each adjustment.

███████████████████████████████████████

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
      d█████████████████████████b     
    d██████████████████████████████æ   
  ,████²█████████████████████████████, 
 ,█████  ╙████████████████████╨  █████y
 ██████    `████████████████`    ██████
║██████       Ñ███████████`      ███████
███████         ╩██████Ñ         ███████
███████    ▐▄     ²██╩     a▌    ███████
╢██████    ▐▓█▄          ▄█▓▌    ███████
 ██████    ▐▓▓▓▓▌,     ▄█▓▓▓▌    ██████─
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
    ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓─  
     ²▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓╩    
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 
███████████████████████████████████████

. ★☆ WWW.LEALANA.COM        My PGP fingerprint is A764D833.                  History of Monero development Visualization ★☆ .
LEALANA BITCOIN GRIM REAPER SILVER COINS.

rosefox911

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 20, 2013, 03:23:45 AM

FTC can be profitable again, diff just needs to drop, A LOT.
Buffer Overflow
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1015

View Profile
May 20, 2013, 04:02:59 AM

FTC can be profitable again, diff just needs to drop, A LOT.
Remember, you'll need to find some sucker to buy them off you as well. Good luck with that.

erk

View Profile
May 20, 2013, 04:14:15 AM

Remember, you'll need to find some sucker to buy them off you as well. Good luck with that.
There is no shortage of FTC trades on BTC-e.

Buffer Overflow
Legendary

View Profile
May 20, 2013, 04:26:40 AM

I was referring to profitable trades.

erk

View Profile
May 20, 2013, 04:45:14 AM

I was referring to profitable trades.

That's a function of mining difficulty more so than just price. Atm you would be mad selling any FTC you mined whilst the difficulty was, high, in fact you couldn't as it hasn't had 120 confirmations yet if it was mined in the last week or so. Most of the people mining today are just trying to push the blocks to 33,000 to trigger the new difficulty, I am sure the know the coins are not profitable at the current price.

YipYip

Activity: 574

View Profile
May 20, 2013, 05:36:19 AM

The stats page has now been updated to get the block time and retarget time from the last 120 blocks so not always the last retarget. If the retarget is less than 120 block before the current block, then it will count back to the retarget.

Just to add insult to injury

Every feathercoin site including ben hohmer stats has a MAL/Get h virus warning from SOPHOS from work etc

High Risk Website Blocked
Access has been blocked as the threat Mal/HTMLGen-A has been found on this website.
sophos anti-virus

It might be a false positive but oh well .. u now have aids as well ... hows life at the top at the moment ...a new coin  was not meant to be easy then u get aids and die ... lol

OBJECT NOT FOUND
bushstar (OP)

View Profile
May 20, 2013, 10:42:14 AM

Just to add insult to injury

Every feathercoin site including ben hohmer stats has a MAL/Get h virus warning from SOPHOS from work etc

High Risk Website Blocked
Access has been blocked as the threat Mal/HTMLGen-A has been found on this website.
sophos anti-virus

It might be a false positive but oh well .. u now have aids as well ... hows life at the top at the moment ...a new coin  was not meant to be easy then u get aids and die ... lol

Thanks for that Sophos. I will speak to them about this, funnily enough they are not far from where I am. Perhaps I'll drive over and bang on their door Smiley

bushstar (OP)

View Profile
May 20, 2013, 11:34:07 AM

To get things moving along I have started a 10BTC bounty.

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=210854.0

justabitoftime

Activity: 154
Merit: 100

CoinTropolis

View Profile
May 20, 2013, 12:15:15 PM

To get things moving along I have started a 10BTC bounty.

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=210854.0

Adding a 5BTC speed bonus bounty on top of it.

Sherkel
aka Tombstoner

Activity: 131

View Profile
May 21, 2013, 12:29:01 PM

I've been "out of the loop" lately and I'd like to ask what specific merits FeatherCoin has. From what I can tell on BTC-e, it's attracted both a lot of hype and a lot of doubt. Why should I mine it? Why should I buy it?

What do you get when you cross dominoes and The Matrix?
<A dominatrix!>
sadface

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 21, 2013, 02:13:53 PM

main reason for me is the active dev that puts a lot of effort into ftc
Kevlar

Activity: 602
Merit: 254

🔰FERRUM NETWORK🔰

View Profile
May 21, 2013, 05:05:05 PM

I've been "out of the loop" lately and I'd like to ask what specific merits FeatherCoin has. From what I can tell on BTC-e, it's attracted both a lot of hype and a lot of doubt. Why should I mine it? Why should I buy it?

For all the same reasons Litecoin has merit. It's essentially a Litecoin fork, but it targets faster transactions making it more suitable for the internet where people expect purchases take the time required to reload a web page.

It ran into a serious problem when the difficulty shot up due to a massive first wave of interest, but the community supporting it has remained VERY strong. To address this, the developers did a hard fork exactly the same way Bitcoin did one recently in order to introduce a more responsive difficulty retargeting, while being very careful to not allow it to plummet too fast. This, coupled with a massive marketing campaign has lead to a resurgence of interest in the coin, since it is effectively the best of all worlds (the security of bitcoin, the quickness of litecoin), because it continues to innovate and has a community that makes it relevant and is rapidly pushing adoption.

You should buy it because we've already hit the floor with regards to the price, and now that it's relevant due to the hard fork and interest is surging again, the price is going to continue to rise. New services are already in development for it, and it has the technical necessary and the community support to see it continue to gain rapid adoption.

You should mine it for the same reason, AND because there's bountys attached to mining certain blocks in order to help it reach the hard fork and retarget difficulty, AND because in another few days when difficulty drops the amount of coin you can earn will increase. All of this equates to profit. Some people look at the price and go "No, it's not profitable." Those same people are still pissed they didn't buy BTC when it was $13 dollars a coin, because... that's right... it wasn't profitable.

Look at the technical. Look at the community (Feathercoin.com forums just passed 800 registered users and it's been up a month). Look at what's happening with it's adoption. Look at the price over the past 2 days. Look at what's about to happen when we reach the hard fork (hint: more miners). Look at what happens to a coin when more miners jump onto it, and a large community presses for it's rapid adoption. Then decide for yourself what you should do.

█████
                        █████████████
                     █████████████
                 ██████████████        █████
              █████████████        ████████████
          ██████████████        █████████████
       █████████████        █████████████       ██████
       ██████████        ████████████           ██████
       ███████       █████████████       ███    ██████
       ███████    █████████████       ██████    ██████
       ████████████████████       ██████████    ██████
       █████████████████       █████████████    ██████
       █████████████       █████████████        ██████
       ██████████       █████████████           ██████
       ███████      ██████████████       ███    ██████
       ██████    █████████████       ███████    ██████
       ██████    ██████████       ██████████    ██████
       ██████    ██████        █████████████    ██████
       ██████    ███       █████████████        ██████
       ██████           █████████████       ██████████
       ██████       █████████████        █████████████
                 █████████████       █████████████
              ████████████        █████████████
                  ████         ████████████
                           █████████████
                         ███████████
                            █████
Ferrum Network • Interoperability Network for Financial Applications
Sherkel
aka Tombstoner

Activity: 131

View Profile
May 21, 2013, 05:10:52 PM

Thanks for your reply. I think I'll invest in some at my own risk.

What do you get when you cross dominoes and The Matrix?
<A dominatrix!>
Buffer Overflow
Legendary

View Profile
May 21, 2013, 05:55:37 PM

Look at the technical. Look at the community (Feathercoin.com forums just passed 800 registered users and it's been up a month).
Mmmmm, doing a little research disturbingly reveals a very large percentage of those 800 members are actually inactive accounts. (Registered days ago, but no posts.)

I strongly recommend people take some of these facts and figures with a large pinch of salt.

bushstar (OP)

View Profile
May 21, 2013, 06:48:49 PM

Look at the technical. Look at the community (Feathercoin.com forums just passed 800 registered users and it's been up a month).
Mmmmm, doing a little research disturbingly reveals a very large percentage of those 800 members are actually inactive accounts. (Registered days ago, but no posts.)

I strongly recommend people take some of these facts and figures with a large pinch of salt.

We have had 62 people register today and yesterday. On posts slightly less than half the user base have made at least one post. Users have to post at least once in the newbie section to post elsewhere. If the number of users not posting is higher than average then I will look into ways to make sure people find the newbie section.

I'd say you are a bit grandiose there with your disturbing research.

Kevlar

Activity: 602
Merit: 254

🔰FERRUM NETWORK🔰

View Profile
May 21, 2013, 08:58:29 PM

So it has no advantages over Litecoin, it came out just from pure greed, from desire of being an early adopter.

Don't you get it? You're literally witnessing the next generation of entrepreneurs invent themselves. These guys are putting their time, energy, and money into building a community, pushing adoption, providing leadership, increasing effectiveness, and doing everything they can to make it successful. As a result the value of their stock is increasing. What they've done is figured out a new way to start a new form of business while bypassing the existing bureaucracy and governance, and the free market of which you are a voting member will decide their fate. This is the early days of the internet all over again where anyone with a bright idea can make a quick buck, but those with the patience and skills to see it through the long haul will be rewarded on the long tail... and good on them for doing so I say. Capitalism wrenched from the hands of the elite and put back in control of the people, by the people, and for the people. All business owners are early adopters. Labeling that as "pure greed" is shortsighted to say the least. I say what better way to make a dollar?

█████
                        █████████████
                     █████████████
                 ██████████████        █████
              █████████████        ████████████
          ██████████████        █████████████
       █████████████        █████████████       ██████
       ██████████        ████████████           ██████
       ███████       █████████████       ███    ██████
       ███████    █████████████       ██████    ██████
       ████████████████████       ██████████    ██████
       █████████████████       █████████████    ██████