Bitcoin Forum
August 06, 2024, 04:15:26 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.1 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Question on accessing BTC and BCH chains on the same machine  (Read 282 times)
CryptoTux (OP)

Activity: 17
Merit: 26

View Profile
August 03, 2017, 08:58:55 AM

Good day,

Could someone give me some advice on how to access the BTC and BCH chains on the same machine? Namely, I currently have BUCash v1.1.0.0 installed and would like to be able to use Bitcoin Core so that I can access the BTC chain. However, I'm concerned that installing Bitcoin Core could overwrite the blockchain data stored by BUCash in the Roaming folder (Windows 10). I'd like to make it clear that I intend to use both chains on a regular basis, so this is why I'm posting this.

I would also like to know if it's possible to configure both clients to share the blockchain data before block 478,558 (all blocks before the hard fork) to save some disk space.

Thank you.
CarlOrff

Activity: 826
Merit: 440

View Profile
August 03, 2017, 11:03:10 AM

You can use Ubuntu : no roaming folder and one specific folder for each wallet.
If you don't want to use Ubuntu, you have to wait safe solutions on Windows : one day... or never (or too late).

Bitcoin + privacy respect = BitcoinZ (topic BitcoinZ)
The only decentralized crypto that complements Bitcoin on privacy.
You missed Bitcoin in 2009 ? Do not miss BitcoinZ in 2018 !
CryptoTux (OP)

Activity: 17
Merit: 26

View Profile
August 03, 2017, 11:13:32 AM
Last edit: August 03, 2017, 12:15:22 PM by CryptoTux

You can use Ubuntu : no roaming folder and one specific folder for each wallet.
If you don't want to use Ubuntu, you have to wait safe solutions on Windows : one day... or never (or too late).

I do have a dual boot system including Kubuntu 16.04 LTS and Windows 10, so I think it might be worth a try. Can I simply copy everything in my Roaming folder to a Core client on Linux, then? I have a feeling it might lead to some strange behavior when I try to synchronize and reindex Bitcoin Core, since the most recent blocks won't be accepted as valid.

Edit: I decided not to complicate matters and just synchronize the entire blockchain from scratch for the Core client. However, seeing as my Linux hard disk had a little over 30 GB of free space remaining, I had no choice but to enable pruning. Anyway, thank you for replying to my post. I appreciate the help.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: