Bitcoin Forum
June 20, 2024, 09:03:50 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Mt. Gox is an unlicensed money exchanger dealing in "crypto-currency."  (Read 9268 times)
esse83 (OP)

Activity: 545
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 15, 2013, 04:02:30 PM

http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2013/05/feds-reveal-the-search-warrant-that-seized-mt-gox-account/

“Bitcoin is wild and crazy investment that I’m diversifying out of all the time,” - Gavin Andresen
NamelessOne
Legendary

Activity: 840
Merit: 1000

View Profile
May 15, 2013, 04:08:50 PM

They better damn well have the license already, or hurry up on getting one.
Quantum_Negatum

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 15, 2013, 04:10:08 PM

The real panic sells haven't even started.
BitPirate

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

RMBTB.com: The secure BTC:CNY exchange. 0% fee!

View Profile
May 15, 2013, 04:12:04 PM

Bullshit

warpio

Activity: 110

View Profile
May 15, 2013, 04:12:20 PM

The fact that you have to be licensed in order to transmit money, just makes bitcoin seem even more valuable IMO.
dexX7
Legendary

Activity: 1106
Merit: 1024

View Profile WWW
May 15, 2013, 04:12:47 PM

Not gonna happen. If their USD accounts get frozen, nobody wants to hold USD. Expect buy-ins and transfer to other exchanges instead.

Kazu

Activity: 168

View Profile
May 15, 2013, 04:14:33 PM

How does Gox need a US license to transfer money when they are in Japan.

How does anybody need a license to transfer money period. At this point you basically can't do business without transferring money.

CoinLenders - Bitcoin Bank Script / Demo
1v.io/kazu - 15ccW7m6RxDFWEKc3P1NdwWpX1N1pU7gZ8
esse83 (OP)

View Profile
May 15, 2013, 04:16:53 PM

Well lets pretend mtgox have to shut down - ppl who have bought btc will most likely experience a huge crash - meaning most will want to get USD out of there asap. Or perhaps they buy btc and act all "rational" assuming that a crash will not occur if this situation escalates.

“Bitcoin is wild and crazy investment that I’m diversifying out of all the time,” - Gavin Andresen
BitPirate

Activity: 238

RMBTB.com: The secure BTC:CNY exchange. 0% fee!

View Profile
May 15, 2013, 04:17:47 PM

I think it's fair to say the terrorists have won

deltanine

Activity: 231

View Profile
May 15, 2013, 04:18:59 PM

How does anybody need a license to transfer money period. At this point you basically can't do business without transferring money.

Mutum Sigillum LLC is in the US and apparently lied on an MSB form that they weren't a money services company.

Mt. Gox is so incompetent it is mind boggling.

Freedom is a state of mind, and then Bitcoin comes along.....
-S4VV4S
KillaMarci

Activity: 84

Bitcoin Mininode...and proud!

View Profile
May 15, 2013, 04:20:36 PM

I don't know what this means, but I'm fucking scared right now.

Winter is coming...

You want me to own Bitcoins? No problem. Tongue
18MeAJDurj9oeC5gha7nRFeqHNLdBUVoEj
Dalib

Activity: 462
Merit: 101

A Top Web 3 Gaming Layer2 Provider

View Profile
May 15, 2013, 04:22:23 PM

just so:

• mtgox doing business in Japan
  • is Bitcoin curency or commodity???

These are just only questions for lawyers

cypherdoc
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1002

View Profile
May 15, 2013, 04:22:28 PM

for a real problem to occur you'd need to see CampBx, Coinbase, Gyft, Bitinstant, and the myriad other worldwide exchanges being shuttered.

ain't gonna happen.
blackreplica

Activity: 224

View Profile WWW
May 15, 2013, 04:22:51 PM

Just another american bankster-backed economic terrorist organisation under guise of a licensing authority

Land of freedom my ass (my opinions are not directed at honest americans, merely the terrorist 'leaders' of said country who pull the puppet strings)

It's YOUR US Dollars, yours to do with what you wish. If you want to hand it over to a company based in Japan in exchange for something of REAL value...thats none of their concern

www.sgBitcoin.net - The Premier News, Discussion & Marketplace Destination for the Singaporean Bitcoin Community
RoadToHell

Activity: 260
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 15, 2013, 04:23:39 PM

Mutum Sigillum LLC is in the US and apparently lied on an MSB form that they weren't a money services company.
They can just say they report to Eric Holder and this will all blow over in a few days.

Sam Spade: We were talking about a lot more money than this.
Kasper Gutman: Yes, sir, we were, but this is genuine coin of the realm. With a dollar of this, you can buy ten dollars of talk.
esse83 (OP)

View Profile
May 15, 2013, 04:30:05 PM

"Tracing that money, HSI was able to see that the money passed through a Wells Fargo account, number 7657841313, which was created by a single authorized singer: Mark Karpeles, the president and CEO of Mt. Gox. The Dwolla account shows transfers to Dwolla going back to at least December 2011, according to the warrant.

The special agent then explains what appears to be the smoking gun: Karpeles specifically denied he was going to get into the currency exchange business. The warrant reads:"

He probably was too naive to understand his middleman role as a currency exchange. They seem to have a solid case against Mark.

Lethos

Activity: 476

Keep it Simple. Every Bit Matters.

View Profile WWW
May 15, 2013, 04:31:02 PM

Strange how it's taken this long to discover Mt.Gox wasn't doing things by the books (according to local laws), as I am fully aware they operate out of Japan, However they do apparently have a US company, with connected US accounts.
Which also the US operations were suppose to been taken over by another company by now, which didn't happen, so they in trouble with that as well.

Their stack of cards seems to be falling apart. Ouch.

There has been a decent number of other exchanges doing the same things shutting every year, obviously not lasting very long, yet they only looked at one of the biggest out there now? Talk about odd. How expensive are the US money service licences anyway, surely Mt.Gox could of afforded them, as one of the largest exchanges out there, right?

Severian

Activity: 476

View Profile
May 15, 2013, 04:33:33 PM

Just another american bankster-backed economic terrorist organisation under guise of a licensing authority

Hey now! Don't smear terrorists like that. They'd hate to be associated with banksters.
esse83 (OP)

View Profile
May 15, 2013, 04:39:40 PM

http://cdn.arstechnica.net/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/Mt-Gox-Dwolla-Warrant-5-14-13.pdf

Miz4r
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1000

View Profile
May 15, 2013, 04:41:24 PM

I don't know what this means, but I'm fucking scared right now.

Winter is coming...

You don't know what this all means, but you're scared and think winter is coming... Don't let irrational fears control you and limit your understanding and personal freedom, it's a lesson the US still has to learn.

Bitcoin = Gold on steroids
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: