Bitcoin Forum
June 19, 2024, 06:19:39 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Mt. Gox is an unlicensed money exchanger dealing in "crypto-currency."  (Read 9268 times)
esse83 (OP)

Activity: 545
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 17, 2013, 03:09:12 PM

Mt. Gox has just removed their official statement on Facebook about the DHS incident.

That is astonishing - actually removing critical information after they posted it! My take on it is that they have noticed a substanstial amount of btc being transfered out. On the 6th of may there was about 178k btc for sale, then on may 15th about 150k - and today about 134k (for sale).

About 200k BTC have changed hands in the last 60 hours or so on MtGox so maybe they were sold and are now being held by someone who hasn't relisted them for sale.

For example I purchased about 800 BTC myself yesterday and I'm only a small holder. These BTC aren't listed for sale anywhere today but they were yesterday before I acquired them.

Also more importantly - they are still on MtGox in case I want to sell them again.

The reason people are removing sell orders and buying is because the price is expected to rise.

For sure that is possible - but I was trying to find a reasonable explanation for why they removed information after they had posted it. Any other explanation is welcome as I think this move must have had some intention behind it (duh).

“Bitcoin is wild and crazy investment that I’m diversifying out of all the time,” - Gavin Andresen
benjamindees
Legendary

Activity: 1330
Merit: 1000

View Profile
May 17, 2013, 03:27:42 PM

tl;dr:

The FinCEN guidance is mostly bullshit.  Follow it at your peril.  DeathAndTaxes is spewing irrelevant nonsense, as usual.  MS, the only entity to be affected, is technically a 3rd party money transmitter.  That's why the dollars in their account were seized.  They never touched Bitcoins.  This has nothing whatsoever to do with Bitcoins.

Civil Liberty Through Complex Mathematics
myrkul

Activity: 532

FIAT LIBERTAS RVAT CAELVM

View Profile WWW
May 17, 2013, 03:36:03 PM

MS, the only entity to be affected, is technically a 3rd party money transmitter.  That's why the dollars in their account were seized.  They never touched Bitcoins.
This part, at least, is true. The rest is debatable.

BTC1MYRkuLv4XPBa6bGnYAronz55grPAGcxja
Need Dispute resolution? Public Key ID: 0x11D341CF
No person has the right to initiate force, threat of force, or fraud against another person or their property. VIM VI REPELLERE LICET
Zaih

Activity: 504

View Profile
May 17, 2013, 03:59:12 PM

Was pleasantly surprised by the first few replies. Was expecting a bunch of negative comments along the lines of "Cya at 1 figure" etc.

I have a feeling the fall of Mt. Gox could be a good thing for BTC.. We'll see though.
Coinbuck @ BTCLot

Activity: 540

The future begins today

View Profile WWW
May 18, 2013, 01:28:06 AM

Mt. Gox has just removed their official statement on Facebook about the DHS incident.

That is astonishing - actually removing critical information after they posted it! My take on it is that they have noticed a substanstial amount of btc being transfered out. On the 6th of may there was about 178k btc for sale, then on may 15th about 150k - and today about 134k (for sale).

Well, if it is proved in court that they deleted that information it would not be any good to them.

At least they admit in support tickets that Dwolla widthdraws are unavailable but hiding the fact that their account got locked by authorities is just insane.

Bitcoin is the future !
k3t3r

Activity: 183
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 18, 2013, 08:05:30 PM

So what i have gathered so far seems to be indicating that gox is being investigated for operating a money transfer service and this has been defined by the FinCen guidance (and explicitly described in the warrant) as involving an alternative currency (BTC). Therefore if Gox are found in court to have broken this law there would be a legal precedent that Bitcoin is recognised as a currency.

Could any one with better undertanding of this matter please correct me if I am wrong.
davidgdg

Activity: 551
Merit: 501

View Profile
May 20, 2013, 05:09:49 PM

So what i have gathered so far seems to be indicating that gox is being investigated for operating a money transfer service and this has been defined by the FinCen guidance (and explicitly described in the warrant) as involving an alternative currency (BTC). Therefore if Gox are found in court to have broken this law there would be a legal precedent that Bitcoin is recognised as a currency.

Could any one with better undertanding of this matter please correct me if I am wrong.

I have had a look at the affidavit. As far as I can tell, the position seems to be as follows:

1. A  dwolla account holder  sells his bitcoins and requests the withdrawal of his dollars to his Dwolla account.

2. Instead of Mt Gox sending those dollars directly to the customer's Dwolla account, instead it sends them to its subsdiary company ("Mutum") which is a Delaware company with an account at Wells Fargo in the U.S.

3. Mutum then sends the funds onwards to the customer's Dwolla account.

4. Mutum is thus acting as a money transmitting business but is not licensed to do so.

5. The Department of Homeland Security has obtained an order from the Maryland District Court freezing the contents of the account of Mutum at Wells Fargo.

A number of points arise:

1. The action is against Mutum rather than Mt Gox.

2.  It is unclear whether the DHS may argue in future that Mt Gox (which is a Japanese company) breaches US law by making direct payments to U.S. individuals and companies. But this is not the issue in this case, though it something that I am sure Mt Gox is considering very carefullly..

3. It is unclear why Mt Gox uses Mutum as an intermediary rather than simply remitting funds directly to U.S. customers.

4. It is unclear what any of this has to do with the Department of Homeland security

5. The affected funds are those which were in transit from Mt Gox via Mutum to customer Dwolla accounts as at the date of the freezing order. Quantity unknown.

6. It is unclear how Mt Gox will, in future, remit funds to Dwolla accounts.

7.  The freezing order is purely because Mutum acts as a money transmitting business of USD as between Mt Gox and customer dwolla accounts. It has nothing to do with the transmission by Mt Gox of BTC purchased by clients (whether in the U.S. or elsewhere).The position would be exactly the same if Mt Gox were a precious metal exchange. The freezing order is directly at the U.S. proceeds of sale being remitted via a U.S. subsidiary to dwolla accounts.

"There is only one thing that is seriously morally wrong with the world, and that is politics. By 'politics' I mean all that, and only what, involves the State." Jan Lester "Escape from Leviathan"
solex
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1002

100 satoshis -> ISO code

View Profile
May 20, 2013, 09:39:05 PM

Good analysis.

Questions. What is the track record of resolution of similar situations with other companies? Can Mutum apply for MSB status, quickly, retrospectively, and expect to get it? Or have they lost their chance and their US operation will remain somewhat crippled?

romerun
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1001

Bitcoin is new, makes sense to hodl.

View Profile
May 22, 2013, 01:09:27 AM

Of course, they were Magic Gathering card exchange, they need no license back in the days.
Kazu

Activity: 168
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 23, 2013, 03:28:34 PM

Good analysis.

Questions. What is the track record of resolution of similar situations with other companies? Can Mutum apply for MSB status, quickly, retrospectively, and expect to get it? Or have they lost their chance and their US operation will remain somewhat crippled?

Considering the fact that the government retrospectively required them to get licensed, it would be ridiculous if they couldn't.

CoinLenders - Bitcoin Bank Script / Demo
1v.io/kazu - 15ccW7m6RxDFWEKc3P1NdwWpX1N1pU7gZ8
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8]  All
  Print  

Jump to: