Bitcoin Forum
May 23, 2024, 04:57:20 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Obama was the best thing that ever happened to the USA in a long time...  (Read 5153 times)
Mike Christ
aka snapsunny
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1003

View Profile
May 17, 2013, 03:00:53 PM

What is the bad policy? Government recognition and protection of marriage contracts?

What does the government care of your personal life?  For that matter, why should it?  And why should Joe from Arkansas even have a say in whether or not two people he's never met can get married?

ewitte

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 17, 2013, 03:05:28 PM

No. They pass a repeal every few months. Senate is majority Democrats (it only seems Republican controlled because filibusters made 60%+ votes a requirement), and obviously Obama will veto any attempts to get rid of his signature legislation.

I'm watching my premium will do my own veto if there is any kind of significant change.

Donations
BTC - 13Lgy6fb4d3nSYEf2nkgBgyBkkhPw8zkPd
LTC - LegzRwyc2Xhu8cqvaW2jwRrqSnhyaYU6gZ
myrkul

Activity: 532
Merit: 500

FIAT LIBERTAS RVAT CAELVM

View Profile WWW
May 17, 2013, 03:13:54 PM

Expanded hate crime law in the US to include sexual orientation
More thought crimes.  Roll Eyes

I wonder, if someone accidentally plows down and kills a pedestrian, or accidentally walks out with something in their hand forgetting to pay for it, do you think they are as guilty and should be punished the same as someone who committed planned deliberate murder or robbery?
The punitive damages should be minimal, and preferably limited to any additional costs incurred by third parties (eg, investigators, "court costs," etc). An innocent mistake or accident would have little to no third-party cost, while a premeditated crime could well have much more. Of course, if a premeditated vehicular murderer feigns contrition after the fact, there's no real way to tell if it was an innocent accident or murder.

Extended Benefits to same-sex partners of federal employees
More money to equalize bad policy.
What is the bad policy? Government recognition and protection of marriage contracts?
Government benefits to married couples, is my guess... but it's no different from a private industry doing the same, aside from the tax funding.

BTC1MYRkuLv4XPBa6bGnYAronz55grPAGcxja
Need Dispute resolution? Public Key ID: 0x11D341CF
No person has the right to initiate force, threat of force, or fraud against another person or their property. VIM VI REPELLERE LICET
Rassah
Legendary

Activity: 1680
Merit: 1035

View Profile WWW
May 17, 2013, 10:22:21 PM

What does the government care of your personal life?  For that matter, why should it?  And why should Joe from Arkansas even have a say in whether or not two people he's never met can get married?

They shouldn't. And they should recognize a legal contract for anyone who wishes to sign into one.
oakpacific

Activity: 784
Merit: 1000

View Profile
May 18, 2013, 06:23:20 AM

They shouldn't. And they should recognize a legal contract for anyone who wishes to sign into one.

An issue that is a bit complicated, is the couple's adoption of a child, the child cannot make a decision for himself/herself.

https://tlsnotary.org/ Fraud proofing decentralized fiat-Bitcoin trading.
myrkul

View Profile WWW
May 18, 2013, 06:28:36 AM

An issue that is a bit complicated, is the couple's adoption of a child, the child cannot make a decision for himself/herself.
Can any child pick their parents? At the very least, I would think that parents that picked their kids, no matter what (or who) they do in the bedroom, would be better off than the average, especially these days.

No person has the right to initiate force, threat of force, or fraud against another person or their property. VIM VI REPELLERE LICET
oakpacific

View Profile
May 18, 2013, 06:29:00 AM

Guess what, watching American politics actually helps me to understand the "Network effect" better.

If next time people ask me why can't someone just make a Bitcoin clone and render Bitcoin worthless, I'll lead them to think why can't someone create a political party with a similar campaign platform to Democrats/Republicans and win the election.

oakpacific

View Profile
May 18, 2013, 06:32:29 AM

Can any child pick their parents? At the very least, I would think that parents that picked their kids, no matter what (or who) they do in the bedroom, would be better off than the average, especially these days.

The problem is, let's say a gay couple adopting a girl, there would be some problems as there are definitely a few things no one but a mother can teach her daughter, so maybe the girl will need a "mother substitute" somehow.

myrkul

View Profile WWW
May 18, 2013, 06:54:54 AM

The problem is, let's say a gay couple adopting a girl, there would be some problems as there are definitely a few things no one but a mother can teach her daughter, so maybe the girl will need a "mother substitute" somehow.
Like what?

oakpacific

View Profile
May 18, 2013, 07:10:09 AM

What does the government care of your personal life?  For that matter, why should it?  And why should Joe from Arkansas even have a say in whether or not two people he's never met can get married?
Like what?

You mak ask your wife/mother. Roll Eyes It's a complex business to be a woman.

myrkul

View Profile WWW
May 18, 2013, 07:11:55 AM

You may ask your wife/mother. Roll Eyes

No, I'm honestly curious what things you think only a woman can teach another woman.

oakpacific

View Profile
May 18, 2013, 07:18:20 AM

No, I'm honestly curious what things you think only a woman can teach another woman.

I am not in a position to answer(I said "maybe") in detail because I am not one. But I doubt all those industries catering their special needs are created for no reason. Tongue

FenixRD

Activity: 364
Merit: 250

I am Citizenfive.

View Profile
May 18, 2013, 07:18:52 AM

LMFAO. Come on now. Really? Ok. I'll see your perceived issue (that two caring gay parents is worse than no parents) and raise you a few more.

(1) What should be done about orphans? As I pointed out above, presumably you believe they are better off remaining orphans with NO mother (in the case of a daughter).
(2) Mother dies in childbirth, daughter survives. Single father. What do? Set a legal maximum time before remarriage? (Forced marriage, why not... so long as the government knows best, just about anything can be done if it's "for the children"!)
(3) Two lesbians adopting a daughter. Is this okay? Two mothers to teach a daughter the things that only a mother can teach, has to be better than one!
(4) Two gay men raising a son. Under the same reasoning, presumably, this is a good thing also. Still unclear what these "things" are that only those of biologically-identical sex can teach, but we're in your world, so let's run with it.
(5) Corollary to #3: Two lesbians with a son. Worse? Or better?
(6) Corollary to #4: Two gays with a daughter. Wait... okay, we already said that's bad, hang on. Okay. Guess that answers #5 as well, unless you're completely illogical and hypocritical...
(6) Corollaries to #3 and #4, rethought: Can we enforce gender roles? Maybe two lesbians or two gays is okay, as long as one agrees to "wear the pants" and one to be he "bottom". Then the masculine ones can teach the son football and misogyny and the feminine ones can teach daughters to cook and clean, and properly use feminine hygiene products, etc.

Uberlurker. Been here since the Finney transaction. Please consider this before replying; there is a good chance I've heard it before.

-Citizenfive
freedomno1
Legendary

Activity: 1806
Merit: 1090

Learning the troll avoidance button :)

View Profile
May 18, 2013, 07:20:43 AM

Needs to create a regional strong third party

Believing in Bitcoins and it's ability to change the world
oakpacific

View Profile
May 18, 2013, 07:25:07 AM

What does the government care of your personal life?  For that matter, why should it?  And why should Joe from Arkansas even have a say in whether or not two people he's never met can get married?

LMFAO. Come on now. Really? Ok. I'll see your perceived issue (that two caring gay parents is worse than no parents) and raise you a few more.

(1) What should be done about orphans? As I pointed out above, presumably you believe they are better off remaining orphans with NO mother (in the case of a daughter).
(2) Mother dies in childbirth, daughter survives. Single father. What do? Set a legal maximum time before remarriage? (Forced marriage, why not... so long as the government knows best, just about anything can be done if it's "for the children"!)
(3) Two lesbians adopting a daughter. Is this okay? Two mothers to teach a daughter the things that only a mother can teach, has to be better than one!
(4) Two gay men raising a son. Under the same reasoning, presumably, this is a good thing also. Still unclear what these "things" are that only those of biologically-identical sex can teach, but we're in your world, so let's run with it.
(5) Corollary to #3: Two lesbians with a son. Worse? Or better?
(6) Corollary to #4: Two gays with a daughter. Wait... okay, we already said that's bad, hang on. Okay. Guess that answers #5 as well, unless you're completely illogical and hypocritical...
(6) Corollaries to #3 and #4, rethought: Can we enforce gender roles? Maybe two lesbians or two gays is okay, as long as one agrees to "wear the pants" and one to be he "bottom". Then the masculine ones can teach the son football and misogyny and the feminine ones can teach daughters to cook and clean, and properly use feminine hygiene products, etc.

Hi, where did I say this is a strict "no-go"? Do you like to go all scientific on one hand, and make a lot of assumptions about others on the other hand? Re-read what I really said, OK?

Besides, it's important to point out, that very lengthy and elaborated assessment is already required in nearly any nation for a couple to adopt any children, whatever your approach is, it has to be a very complicated approach, as human emotion is a very complicated thing. But I guess for most of the geeks it's not that easy to understand.

myrkul

View Profile WWW
May 18, 2013, 07:28:31 AM

I am not in a position to answer(I said "maybe") in detail because I am not one. But I doubt all those industries catering their special needs are created for no reason. Tongue

Are gay men somehow incapable of reading instructions?

FFS, man, I know how to put in a tampon, and that's just 'cuz I got bored one day in the bathroom, and the only reading material available was the tampon box. Incidentally, that's also how I learned about TSS.

oakpacific

View Profile
May 18, 2013, 07:31:08 AM

FFS, man, I know how to put in a tampon, and that's just 'cuz I got bored one day in the bathroom, and the only reading material available was the tampon box. Incidentally, that's also how I learned about TSS.

You cannot really "feel" it, because you don't grow their parts, and there are many things which can only be learned with experience, like the difference between science and engineering. And this is, after all, only the most shallow of things, have you ever wondered why you can't figure out what a woman has been thinking all day?

myrkul

View Profile WWW
May 18, 2013, 07:36:14 AM

You cannot really "feel" it, because you don't grow their parts, and there are many things which can only be learned with experience, like the difference between science and engineering. And this is, after all, only the most shallow of things, have you ever wondered why you can't figure out what a woman has been thinking all day?

Fun fact: Gay men's brains are actually structured similar to a woman's. There's reason to believe a gay man might make a much better mother than a straight man in the same situation.

And certainly you wouldn't support taking away a single straight man's daughter, simply because he doesn't have a wife?

FenixRD

Activity: 364
Merit: 250

I am Citizenfive.

View Profile
May 18, 2013, 07:36:31 AM

Haha...

Hi, where did I say this is a strict "no-go"? Do you like to go all scientific on one hand, and make a lot of assumptions about others on the other hand? Re-read what I really said, OK?

Besides, it's important to point out, that very lengthy and elaborated assessment is already required in nearly any nation for a couple to adopt any children, whatever your approach is, it has to be a very complicated approach, as human emotion is a very complicated thing. But I guess for most of the geeks it's not that easy to understand.

Relax, don't take it too seriously. I exist in a bubble of sarcasm, which I am told is the lowest form of wit, so I'm probably very stupid. I don't take anything I say too seriously, and neither should you. Wink

BTW, I count two assumptions in your statement about me: That I didn't understand what you wrote; and, that I am a geek (based on your personal assessment that I went "all scientific" I presume). You then used circular logic to conclude that it is because I am a geek that I could not understand what you said, which I believe is probably a fallacy, but I'm not really all that quick, so I'll let the rest of the crowd judge that one.

Uberlurker. Been here since the Finney transaction. Please consider this before replying; there is a good chance I've heard it before.

-Citizenfive
oakpacific

View Profile
May 18, 2013, 07:39:20 AM

Haha...

Relax, don't take it too seriously. I exist in a bubble of sarcasm, which I am told is the lowest form of wit, so I'm probably very stupid. I don't take anything I say too seriously, and neither should you. Wink

BTW, I count two assumptions in your statement about me: That I didn't understand what you wrote; and, that I am a geek (based on your personal assessment that I went "all scientific" I presume). You then used circular logic to conclude that it is because I am a geek that I could not understand what you said, which I believe is probably a fallacy, but I'm not really all that quick, so I'll let the rest of the crowd judge that one.

No you misunderstood, these are two separate things I somehow happened to put together(I said "Besides" and I didn't even straightly meant you are a geek), may confuse you a bit, I am sorry.

Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: