Bitcoin Forum
May 10, 2024, 06:00:30 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Obama was the best thing that ever happened to the USA in a long time...  (Read 5153 times)
FenixRD

Activity: 364
Merit: 250

I am Citizenfive.

View Profile
May 18, 2013, 07:41:07 AM

Fun fact: Gay men's brains are actually structured similar to a woman's. There's reason to believe a gay man might make a much better mother than a straight man in the same situation.

And certainly you wouldn't support taking away a single straight man's daughter, simply because he doesn't have a wife?

(2) Mother dies in childbirth, daughter survives. Single father. What do? Set a legal maximum time before remarriage? (Forced marriage, why not... so long as the government knows best, just about anything can be done if it's "for the children"!)

Relax, don't take it too seriously. I exist in a bubble of sarcasm, which I am told is the lowest form of wit, so I'm probably very stupid. ...

Myrkul, I feel slightly smarter about myself. Thank you for vindicating me slightly. Cheesy

Uberlurker. Been here since the Finney transaction. Please consider this before replying; there is a good chance I've heard it before.

-Citizenfive
"If you don't want people to know you're a scumbag then don't be a scumbag." -- margaritahuyan
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
oakpacific

Activity: 784
Merit: 1000

View Profile
May 18, 2013, 07:44:16 AM
Last edit: May 18, 2013, 08:03:52 AM by oakpacific

You cannot really "feel" it, because you don't grow their parts, and there are many things which can only be learned with experience, like the difference between science and engineering. And this is, after all, only the most shallow of things, have you ever wondered why you can't figure out what a woman has been thinking all day?

Fun fact: Gay men's brains are actually structured similar to a woman's. There's reason to believe a gay man might make a much better mother than a straight man in the same situation.

And certainly you wouldn't support taking away a single straight man's daughter, simply because he doesn't have a wife?

No, absolutely not, I just think since it's uncharted territory, we need to tread on it very very carefully.

One way to do it, that I can come up with, is to set up a qualification program, so if a couple want to somehow bring up a boy/girl, they need to learn things and pass all the tests until their instructors are satisfied, otherwise they will need to find their daughter a "mother substitute" somehow when she is old enough.

Yeah I know it sounds a bit silly, but the atmosphere here is that people sometimes are really relaxed, and sometimes full of hostility, so...whatever.

EDIT: I remove some adjectives and decide it's a better idea that if any couple wants to adopt a child, they have to somehow prove that they can do things right, at least when it's somehow competitive, like more than one couple are looking to adopt a child.

PS: I think at least in the U.S, the law somehow favors the mother's right to take custody of her children, right?

https://tlsnotary.org/ Fraud proofing decentralized fiat-Bitcoin trading.
FenixRD

Activity: 364
Merit: 250

I am Citizenfive.

View Profile
May 18, 2013, 07:45:31 AM

No you misunderstood, these are two separate things I somehow happened to put together(I said "Besides" and I didn't even straightly meant you are a geek), may confuse you a bit, I am sorry.

Lol. I'm just giving you a hard time. I'm on a forum about cryptography and economics and how those two can apply to each other, which by definition probably means I'm a geek and maybe a few other things by conventional wisdom. Though I admit, I am easily confused by the things people say, very often.

Uberlurker. Been here since the Finney transaction. Please consider this before replying; there is a good chance I've heard it before.

-Citizenfive
myrkul

Activity: 532
Merit: 500

FIAT LIBERTAS RVAT CAELVM

View Profile WWW
May 18, 2013, 08:21:05 AM

EDIT: I remove some adjectives and decide it's a better idea that if any couple wants to adopt a child, they have to somehow prove that they can do things right, at least when it's somehow competitive, like more than one couple are looking to adopt a child.
Trust me, there is, if anything, an over supply of children needing adoption.

Look, the simple fact is that the single most important thing for a child growing up is a loving home environment. Two dads, two moms, four moms and three dads, IDGAF. As long as the child is cared for, loved, and not abused, they will grow up to a well-adjusted adult. And in those environments, probably a lot more tolerant than average, except, perhaps, of bullshit.

BTC1MYRkuLv4XPBa6bGnYAronz55grPAGcxja
Need Dispute resolution? Public Key ID: 0x11D341CF
No person has the right to initiate force, threat of force, or fraud against another person or their property. VIM VI REPELLERE LICET
oakpacific

View Profile
May 18, 2013, 08:27:45 AM

Trust me, there is, if anything, an over supply of children needing adoption.

Look, the simple fact is that the single most important thing for a child growing up is a loving home environment. Two dads, two moms, four moms and three dads, IDGAF. As long as the child is cared for, loved, and not abused, they will grow up to a well-adjusted adult. And in those environments, probably a lot more tolerant than average, except, perhaps, of bullshit.

Okay, then how do you think of the currency policy of interviewing and assessing parents before they are allowed to take a child into adoption? Reasonable or not?

myrkul

View Profile WWW
May 18, 2013, 08:30:20 AM

Okay, then how do you think of the [current] policy of interviewing and assessing parents before they are allowed to take a child into adoption? Reasonable or not?
The policy is reasonable, it would be stupid not to evaluate the home you give a child. The criteria, on the other hand, often leave quite a bit to be desired.

No person has the right to initiate force, threat of force, or fraud against another person or their property. VIM VI REPELLERE LICET
oakpacific

View Profile
May 18, 2013, 08:34:18 AM

Okay, then how do you think of the [current] policy of interviewing and assessing parents before they are allowed to take a child into adoption? Reasonable or not?
The policy is reasonable, it would be stupid not to evaluate the home you give a child. The criteria, on the other hand, often leave quite a bit to be desired.

So what kind of an organization should be in charge of such a thing? A government institution paid by taxes or some sort of an orphanage funded by voluntary donations?

myrkul

View Profile WWW
May 18, 2013, 08:39:23 AM

So what kind of an organization should be in charge of such a thing? A government institution paid by taxes or some sort of an orphanage funded by voluntary donations?

You really need to ask?

oakpacific

View Profile
May 18, 2013, 08:40:53 AM

You really need to ask?

Yes, why not, debate and question everything while we are at it.

myrkul

View Profile WWW
May 18, 2013, 08:43:54 AM

You really need to ask?
Yes, why not
Because it's kind of like asking someone you know to be a vegetarian if he'd like the chicken or eggplant parmigiana. Wink
You do know I'm an anarchist, right?

oakpacific

View Profile
May 18, 2013, 08:48:09 AM

You really need to ask?
Yes, why not
Because it's kind of like asking someone you know to be a vegetarian if he'd like the chicken or eggplant parmigiana. Wink
You do know I'm an anarchist, right?

I want to know if you have anything specific in your mind, what is such an organization going to look like.

myrkul

View Profile WWW
May 18, 2013, 09:01:47 AM

I want to know if you have anything specific in your mind, what is such an organization going to look like.
Well, I have no interest in running an adoption agency, nor seeking the adoption of a child (at minimum not for several years, at least, until my girls are old enough to help change diapers), so I'm probably not the best person to ask. I can make some general statements:

Funding of this organization should be voluntary. This, actually, should go without saying, but I figured I'd say it anyway. As to the details, they could make their funding from adoption fees, which would help narrow the field of people seeking children to those capable of supporting them, or voluntary donations,  or some other way, like selling arts and crafts made by the older kids, or more likely a combination of all of these, plus some ways I haven't thought about.

The market will decide what the best set of criteria are, and there will likely be "niche" adoption agencies, but I expect the "baseline" to be simply a loving home, and capability to support the child financially.

Wilikon (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1001

minds.com/Wilikon

View Profile
May 18, 2013, 03:04:02 PM

Gays will be fine as long as they live in the USA. Lets ask our first gay president what he thinks of the situations of openly gays in.. Pakistan?

I believe he made a video about that very subject. For once he was an honest guy.

http://www.ndtv.com/video/player/news/pakistan-airs-70-000-obama-ads-denouncing-anti-islam-film/247680

Obama is like the sensation of melting butter on toast in your mouth while your cat is licking your toes in the morning...

johnyj
Legendary

Activity: 1988
Merit: 1012

Beyond Imagination

View Profile
May 18, 2013, 10:06:30 PM

One common character for those politicians: They have no idea how money and banks works Tongue

Lethn
Legendary

Activity: 1540

View Profile WWW
May 18, 2013, 10:22:33 PM

It's actually almost frightening that the people who are supposed to be in charge of world finances know even less basic mathematics than I do and I scored an F in my last exams, but then again, the only saving grace we have is that they're so incompetent there's no way they'll be able to touch stuff like Bitcoin.
Wilikon (OP)
Legendary

minds.com/Wilikon

View Profile
November 03, 2013, 04:24:53 AM

http://www.weeklystandard.com/articles/debacle-liberalism_765681.html?nopager=1#

[...]
Critics of the president may be wrong. Obamacare may turn out to be one of the most successful and popular programs in the history of man. But whether they are right or wrong, there is at least no confusion as to who has ownership of the Affordable Care Act. We all know who stood where, when; who supported it and who opposed it; and we are now in the process of being able to judge the claims of Obamacare against the reality of Obamacare. An abstract debate can now be measured by its true effects on the nation as a whole.

It looks to us that liberalism, in getting what it wanted, will end up doing significant and sustained damage to itself, to public confidence in government (which is already near historic lows), and to its conception of the welfare state.

It would be quite an historical irony if Obama, who raised such extravagant hopes among progressives when he ran for office, turns out to have a shattering effect on contemporary liberalism. But that may be just where we are heading. Barack Obama may turn out to be the best thing to happen to conservatism since Ronald Reagan.
Spendulus
Legendary

Activity: 2898
Merit: 1386

View Profile
November 03, 2013, 04:39:56 AM

http://www.weeklystandard.com/articles/debacle-liberalism_765681.html?nopager=1#

[...]
Critics of the president may be wrong. Obamacare may turn out to be one of the most successful and popular programs in the history of man. But whether they are right or wrong, there is at least no confusion as to who has ownership of the Affordable Care Act. We all know who stood where, when; who supported it and who opposed it; and we are now in the process of being able to judge the claims of Obamacare against the reality of Obamacare. An abstract debate can now be measured by its true effects on the nation as a whole.

It looks to us that liberalism, in getting what it wanted, will end up doing significant and sustained damage to itself, to public confidence in government (which is already near historic lows), and to its conception of the welfare state.

It would be quite an historical irony if Obama, who raised such extravagant hopes among progressives when he ran for office, turns out to have a shattering effect on contemporary liberalism. But that may be just where we are heading. Barack Obama may turn out to be the best thing to happen to conservatism since Ronald Reagan.
These styles of arguments are I think flawed, like saying the Black Plague was the best thing to happen to Europe.  Yes there is growth through adversity, in some cases, but in other cases, it just crushes people.  Was Communism the best thing to happen to East Germany?  Stalin the best thing that ever happened to Russia?

The logical flaws are self evident.
Mike Christ
aka snapsunny
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1003

View Profile
November 03, 2013, 04:41:30 AM

There has been no greater farce in modern history than authority disguised as liberty: behold, the modern liberal, a living contradiction.

Wilikon (OP)
Legendary

minds.com/Wilikon

View Profile
November 03, 2013, 05:35:33 AM

[...]

These styles of arguments are I think flawed, like saying the Black Plague was the best thing to happen to Europe.  Yes there is growth through adversity, in some cases, but in other cases, it just crushes people.  Was Communism the best thing to happen to East Germany?  Stalin the best thing that ever happened to Russia?

The logical flaws are self evident.

I am guilty of a trolling title on an old thread. Obama is facing History and his minions will have a lot of rewriting to do to save his presidency.
I agree hopping for a worse pain in your hand is not a prescription to forget the pain in your leg.
Spendulus
Legendary

Activity: 2898
Merit: 1386

View Profile
November 04, 2013, 12:09:53 AM

There has been no greater farce in modern history than authority disguised as liberty: behold, the modern liberal, a living contradiction.
bump for that.
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: