Bitcoin Forum
May 23, 2024, 07:33:10 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Restored Litecoin Wallet, lost 12 LiteCoins  (Read 572 times)
harishbp (OP)

Activity: 2
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 04, 2017, 05:30:56 AM

Hello there,

I had to restore my Litecoin-Qt account using my old wallet.dat file which I had taken a backup in June 2017. But, lost 12 LiteCoins which I had received in July 2017. I dont have the private keys cause, I thought wallet.dat file is more than enough for the backup. I know, its my mistake. Let me explain exactly what happened.

1. In June 2017, I was introduced to the world of Cryptocurrencies and I started to invest in few of them. One of them were LiteCoins.
2. I purchase a few LiteCoins the first time and transferred them to my LiteCoin-Qt Desktop wallet in June itself.
3. Once I received the LietCoins, I took a backup of the wallet, which actually backs up the wallet.dat file. I thought, this was more than enough.
4. On 11st July 2017, I purchased 12 more LiteCoins through ShapeShift.io and transferred to a new address which was generated in my Litecoin-Qt desktop wallet software. For some reason, I didn't know that I could have used the old address itself which was used for Litecoin transfer in June 2017. This was successful and I could see the litecoins in my Litecoin-Qt desktop wallet.
5. A week ago, I my Macbook started acting strange and I was running out of Memory and diskspace. Hence I decided to format the system and re-install only those which I require from scratch. I seriously thought the old wallet.dat backup was enough to get all my Litecoins back. Hence, I did not backup the wallet.dat file again. Nor did I generate the private keys.
6. I formatted the system and installed Litecoin-Qt and restored my old wallet.dat file which I took as a backup in June 2017.
7. Since this wallet.dat file was backed up before generating the new address where I received 12 Litecoins - I am missing this last transaction and hence missing the 12 Litecoins.

After searching for similar issues on Internet, I came to know that each Address is unique and each time you create a new address,  you have to take a backup of the wallet.dat file or best way is to take backup of private key of each address generated in your account. I have the transaction id, Address and all other details of that 12 Litecoin transfer. Its present on the blockchain.

Is there anyway to recover this new address - transaction - Litecoins back to my account? Or have I lost it forever?

I have already resynced, rescanned and also re-indexed the whole blockchain. Is there anything else that I can do?

Regards,
Harish
adjiadjo
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1038

View Profile
August 04, 2017, 06:29:05 AM

since your wallet.dat backup is before you generate new address ,
your new address is not contain in it.
and you also don't backup any piv key
i believe it lost forever.