Bitcoin Forum
May 23, 2024, 07:56:30 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Peer-to-Peer Asset Issuance and Transactions with Confidence Chains  (Read 1033 times)
bluemeanie1 (OP)

Activity: 280
Merit: 257

bluemeanie

View Profile WWW
May 15, 2013, 07:27:24 PM

Abstract:

Bitcoin's popularity has grown exponentially in recent years as a new form of digital
money that transcends geography and national governments. This paper describes a
system for 1) Asset Issuance meaning the creation of digital property 2) and Asset
Transactions meaning the exchange and trade of that property. Many of it's internal
structures are derived from Bitcoin technology, thus many innovations in the Bitcoin
world carry over to this platform. It is truly Peer-To-Peer, meaning there is no central
server required. A very high level of transaction integrity and security can be achieved.
It has several advantages over Bitcoin, namely speed of transactions and no need for
'mining'. The system is suitable for a wide range of applications, it is powerful enough
to do high volume securities trading, secure enough to trade precious metals, and simple
enough for Community Currency implementations. In this paper we will describe the
core algorithm of Confidence Chains, in other proposals we will offer more details
regarding asset issuance and related features.

PDF:

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0BwUFHE6KYsM0ZkxLVmFwbXQ3ck0/edit?usp=sharing

Signature:

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0BwUFHE6KYsM0MjY1Rk8xWGdLZUU/edit?usp=sharing

note to moderators:  I'd like to post this to Alt-Currencies forum if possible.

Just who IS bluemeanie?    On NXTautoDAC and a Million Stolen NXT

feel like your voice isn't being heard? PM me.   |   stole 1M NXT?
MegaDaninski

Activity: 9
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 22, 2013, 04:23:01 PM

Do you have any more information available on this? I am looking to implement a system for establishing multiple community currencies.
bluemeanie1 (OP)

bluemeanie

View Profile WWW
May 26, 2013, 03:20:54 AM

Do you have any more information available on this? I am looking to implement a system for establishing multiple community currencies.

Hi MegaDaninski,

I am currently working on a simulator to provide tangible proof of the concept.

https://github.com/BlueMeanie/ConfidenceChainsSimulation

Eventually I will develop a open source project in Java.

Do you have a specific application in mind?  Confidence Chains can be used for Community Currencies, It's possible to issue them without any server at all using the technology.  It's would be great to have you involved.

There is also an upcoming paper on Confidence Chains patterns.

best, -bm

ktorn

Activity: 32

View Profile
January 10, 2014, 10:00:35 AM

It's interesting, but I'd really like to see the paper expand more on the node/identity.

What's stopping me from writing software that floods the network with hundreds of thousands of identities, all under my control?
bluemeanie1 (OP)

bluemeanie

View Profile WWW
January 10, 2014, 05:05:04 PM

It's interesting, but I'd really like to see the paper expand more on the node/identity.

What's stopping me from writing software that floods the network with hundreds of thousands of identities, all under my control?

this seems to be the main question people ask.

It's not like Bitcoin.  It's not an open house party, not everyone gets to be a node.  Instead, the node identities are defined in some way.

Let me explain a bit... as I've spoken enough about confidence chains to warrant a more in depth explaination.

The idea came to me after I was following the work of the Color Coins project.  Color Coins, as you probably know attempts to map 'colors' onto the existing block chain.  The point is that these colors are EXCHANGEABLE for some other asset.  They are VOUCHERS.  Color Coins also claims to be ZERO TRUST, because it relies on the block chain and doesnt have some central authority controlling the ledger... BUT the coins themselves rely on redemption!  Thus you haven't really achieved ZERO TRUST, you've only achieved some kind of hybrid chimera of zero trust which exploits the existing hashing banks whose incentive is the generation of BTC.  The whole idea is doomed to fail.  Secondly the group is claiming to offer similar features to Confidence Chains, but falls short in a multitude of ways.  The underlying concept of Color Coins seems to be in a constant state of revision, which shows that they don't have very clear thinking.  Confidence Chains has not changed since it's initial publication some time ago.  There have also been offshoot projects of Color Coins that are high on the fraud scale that I simply don't have the time or the incentive to address.

To have a voucher system, you only need a credible ledger of accounts.

ex.

30 MeanieBucks from Account A1 to Account B1
40 MeanieBucks from Account C1 to Account B1
10 MeanieBucks from Account B1 to Account D2

balance is 60 MeanieBucks on Account B1

as long as I have cryptographic evidence of this ledger and the authority that issued the currency has notarized it, then they MUST redeem my balance if I choose, or be convicted of fraud.  If someone presents cryptographic evidence of ownership, and the issuer fails to honor that evidence, then the value of their vouchers will plummet(not good).

but there's a problem,  1) what if someone shuts down the server?  2) what if different account ledgers don't match(double spend)?

these are the two problems that Confidence Chains solves(also Bitcoin solves these problems but in a different way using Proof Of Work).  The problem of a centralized server, such as that found in Open Transactions creates many issues for currency stability and credibility, for one the server can prohibit transactions, they can privilege the ORDER of transactions, and finally it is prone to attacks by various groups who might see the currency as a threat(this has been a significant problem for digital currencies).  Confidence Chains solves this problem by DISTRIBUTING the server to many nodes.  Thus you must shut down ALL the nodes to disable the server, it is RESILIENT.  Secondly it also offers OBJECTIVITY, no particular node can privilege the order of transactions in any specific way- there must be consensus and this gives you the ability to construct near perfect markets.  This is impossible to achieve with Bitcoin/PoW systems.  These near-perfect markets can be used to issue credit, futures, options and other things I will describe later.  It can replace theoretically ALL our financial technology.

You can build a DISTRIBUTED EXCHANGE with Confidence Chains.  You can broker Gold, BTC, USD, Euros, Turkish Lira, Peanuts, whatever you like.  Naturally it doesn't look as big as other projects, because it is TRUE PEER TO PEER, and thus there is no clear profit model behind it.  We dont have any VC backing, but we have a handful of enthusiasts involved(even a lawyer).  None of us are paid off, none of us are working for some major corporation.

-bm

ktorn

Activity: 32

View Profile
January 10, 2014, 11:16:18 PM

because it is TRUE PEER TO PEER, and thus there is no clear profit model behind it

The ability to profit from p2p networks and open source software (through micro-transaction fee donations) could be baked right into the transaction protocol, see this for a related idea.

I like OpenTransactions, and I also like this concept. I can also write one or two LOC in Java so I will keep an eye on your GitHub repo.
bluemeanie1 (OP)

bluemeanie

View Profile WWW
January 10, 2014, 11:51:54 PM

because it is TRUE PEER TO PEER, and thus there is no clear profit model behind it

The ability to profit from p2p networks and open source software (through micro-transaction fee donations) could be baked right into the transaction protocol, see this for a related idea.

I like OpenTransactions, and I also like this concept. I can also write one or two LOC in Java so I will keep an eye on your GitHub repo.

the problem with OpenTransactions is it doesn't do what it claims.  I spent several months working with the OT code.

the code will be in Java.  Certainly you could get involved building out the GUI or related tasks.

There are profit models here, you could build the TXs to support TX fees, or get involved as a market-maker.  For instance you could price and issue options, or you could buy credit risk.

I'll keep you posted on the progress.  It's coming along.  I've simplified a lot from bitcoin, and when you build in Java from the ground up it's much simpler.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: