Bitcoin Forum
May 13, 2024, 01:01:01 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Price will not crash due to MtGox crackdown  (Read 3850 times)
ElectricMucus
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1057

Marketing manager - GO MP

View Profile WWW
May 15, 2013, 11:24:26 PM

price(can be manipulated) != value(is not same as price)
it is only in your brain wired  value = price

3 month ago price was @ $35 (bitcoin @ $50 looked like too expensive). And there was only few people buying @ $5 year ago :-)
price spiked @ $265 and dropped to $50 (do you feel the pain?, did not sold @ $260 and rebuy @$50 (no one did) ? ... those are only emotions, do you afraid than price will fall to $35 ? ... bitcoin fundamental value did not changed. Bitcoin did not lose any value, only big players changed the price). Do not take emotions into business.

Maybe tomorrow we are in single number again ! :-)

Since Bitcoin is pegged to the Dollar it's value is directly proportional to the price.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Transactions must be included in a block to be properly completed. When you send a transaction, it is broadcast to miners. Miners can then optionally include it in their next blocks. Miners will be more inclined to include your transaction if it has a higher transaction fee.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Odalv
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1000

View Profile
May 15, 2013, 11:33:25 PM

it is only in your brain wired  value = price

3 month ago price was @ $35 (bitcoin @ $50 looked like too expensive). And there was only few people buying @ $5 year ago :-)
price spiked @ $265 and dropped to $50 (do you feel the pain?, did not sold @ $260 and rebuy @$50 (no one did) ? ... those are only emotions, do you afraid than price will fall to $35 ? ... bitcoin fundamental value did not changed. Bitcoin did not lose any value, only big players changed the price). Do not take emotions into business.

Since Bitcoin is pegged to the Dollar it's value is directly proportional to the price.

Water has value (no life without water). Price of water can change (from ZERO to INFINITY), but real value of water does not depends on price (if you have water then life will continue, if you have paper($) then you may not be able to create water) .
ElectricMucus
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1057

Marketing manager - GO MP

View Profile WWW
May 15, 2013, 11:36:41 PM

it is only in your brain wired  value = price

Water has value (no life without water). Price of water can change (from ZERO to INFINITY), but real value of water does not depends on price (if you have water then life will continue, if you have paper($) then you may not be able to create water) .
Using this interpretation Bitcoins have no value.
Odalv
Legendary

View Profile
May 15, 2013, 11:41:22 PM

it is only in your brain wired  value = price

Using this interpretation Bitcoins have no value.

price is not value
1. if somebody helps you for free => NO VALUE
2. if somebody kills you for taking profit $100,000 USD => $100,000 VALUE

who is more valuable 1 or 2 ?
||bit

Activity: 924
Merit: 506

View Profile
May 15, 2013, 11:42:31 PM

This is a classical example of a negative feedback within a trend, it can never change the trend nor the outcome.

Bottom line is: There is strong support at 0

lol
MAbtc

Activity: 826
Merit: 508

View Profile
May 15, 2013, 11:43:00 PM

price is not value

wat
CMMPro

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 15, 2013, 11:48:09 PM

Haha awesome.
Odalv
Legendary

View Profile
May 15, 2013, 11:52:44 PM

price is not value

wat

Just question: "Do you know what is difference between PRICE and VALUE?"

EDIT: "Do you know there is difference between PRICE and VALUE? => Price is not same as a value."
MAbtc

View Profile
May 16, 2013, 12:01:49 AM

price is not value

wat

EDIT: "Do you know there is difference between PRICE and VALUE? => Price is not same as a value."

Do you see value as subjective, or don't you?
Odalv
Legendary

View Profile
May 16, 2013, 12:18:55 AM

price is not value

wat

1. value is subjective
2. next layer is "to create criteria" to recognize value (criteria will tell you if something has value ... subjective)
3. you behave to meet your criteria because you have your values (subjective)
4. others react to you behavior
5. you will get outcome ... does outcome meet my criteria ? -> continue/change behavior/change values
MAbtc

View Profile
May 16, 2013, 12:53:39 AM

1. value is subjective
2. next layer is "to create criteria" to recognize value (criteria will tell you if something has value ... subjective)
3. you behave to meet your criteria because you have your values (subjective)
4. others react to you behavior
5. you will get outcome ... does outcome meet my criteria ? -> continue/change behavior/change values

I just don't see how anything follows from #1. You say that bitcoin's value is not directly proportional to the price. If you see value as subjective, then price here is the aggregate of the subjective valuations that individuals place upon it. Nothing more, nothing less.
dave111223
Legendary

Activity: 1190
Merit: 1001

View Profile WWW
May 16, 2013, 02:56:17 AM

I have to say I'm completely surprised by the total lack of reaction to this news by the market.

How is that the coinlab civil lawsuit (which could take years to play out and may just fade away) can send the market into a 20% panic sell, but Mt Gox getting assets frozen (IMHO must worst/more serious than the lawsuit) and market almost no reaction. 

I'm happy if bitcoin has become this resilient, but it just seems a bit unreal.
notme
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1002

View Profile
May 16, 2013, 02:59:37 AM

I have to say I'm completely surprised by the total lack of reaction to this news by the market.

How is that the coinlab civil lawsuit (which could take years to play out and may just fade away) can send the market into a 20% panic sell, but Mt Gox getting assets frozen (IMHO must worst/more serious than the lawsuit) and market almost no reaction. 

Because these events have less impact on price than you assume they do.  The timing of the event has more of an influence over its impact than the details of the event.

https://www.bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
While no idea is perfect, some ideas are useful.
UltimateReaper

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 16, 2013, 03:00:32 AM

I'm holding my breath. I'm actually getting pretty fucking sick of the DDoSs

They don't bring down the price anymore, what they do is stagnate the fucking market. Another half month of "stability" would blow.
BitPirate

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

RMBTB.com: The secure BTC:CNY exchange. 0% fee!

View Profile
May 16, 2013, 03:21:57 AM

There were some pretty deep sell-offs almost immediately, but to be honest I think that most people with skin in the game right now are stronger hands waiting for the next rally -- each "scare-off" is having diminishing returns.

Viceroy

Activity: 924
Merit: 501

View Profile
May 16, 2013, 03:24:37 AM

Please contribute meaningfully if you can:

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=179147.msg2163905#msg2163905

BitcoinAshley

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 16, 2013, 03:34:24 AM

Ok, good, so Coinseeker has exposed himself as an absolute idiot:

80% of global trade volume != 80% of USA trade volume.

Really, dude, that's a pretty hilarious mistake you made there. Don't do it again  Wink

Furthermore, the assumption that government intervention to an exchange would cause a price crash is counter to the vast majority of examples that we can find throughout history. Granted, we are talking apples to oranges in all cases, but we can mix analogies. For instance, government intervened and tried to stop torrent downloads. They are more popular than ever before - even though people have to wade through dozens of fake torrent sites and lots and lots of really bad advertisements and malware links just to find the torrent they need. Government intervened and tried to stop drugs. More people (per capita) use drugs than ever before, despite less-than-ideal purchase methods, and drugs cost more than ever. There are other online currencies that were shut down (e-Gold, etc) but those were centralized with single points of failure. Drugs don't have a single point of failure, P2P torrent systems don't have a single point of failure... and as much as the butthurt bears would like us to believe it, Mt.Gox is not Bitcoin's single point of failure. I've said it before and I will say it again... Mt.Gox dying a slow, painful death at the hand of U.S. and Japanese regulators is the BEST POSSIBLE thing that could happen to bitcoin at this point in time.

Think about it... people will FINALLY stop using Gox! OTC and other exchanges will finally rise to the occasion. People will stop making chicken/egg excuses like "lol volume" or completely made up excuses like "there is no US based exchange" or "no US based exchange accepts X funding method."

One exchange having 80% of market share was NOT healthy for bitcoin. Gox needs to crash and die before Bitcoin can succeed!
trogdorjw73

Activity: 482
Merit: 500

View Profile WWW
May 16, 2013, 07:00:24 AM

I'm going to say that the worst is now past. Oh, we'll see lower (and higher!) prices again, but that's just Bitcoin being Bitcoin. I wrote some thoughts about the whole thing:
http://holynerdvana.blogspot.com/2013/05/analyzing-effects-of-mtgox-and-dwolla.html

Basically, there's no such thing as bad publicity. This might be bad for MtGox, but for Bitcoin as a whole it could easily be a net positive.

pwi

Activity: 118
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 16, 2013, 07:26:31 AM

I think BTC price will not significantly fall because many people just fear to store their funds on MtGox and will buy Bitcoins to rapidly move money away from gox.

Gox will go up due to buys, others will decline due to fiat conversion. Play accordingly.

Buy my PS3 https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=216554.msg2282760#msg2282760

Sign up with campbx:  https://campbx.com/main.php?r=3lo7dSqrLOu Yes it's an affiliate link, but you will not see me touting anything I do not both believe in and make extensive use of myself. Campbx is one of those things.
massivebitman

Activity: 224
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
May 16, 2013, 10:11:13 AM

I've got long term BTC that I never touch (no matter what).

But I've just sold all my current BTC and will sit this one on the sidelines for the next few days until this blows over.  If I have to buy back at 5-15% loss in a few days...so be it...but I have no appetite to take massive haircut if this turns into panic.

(P.S. Sitting on the sidelines at bitstamp. No way I'd keep fiat or btc in Mt Gox right now)

So shall we just assume those coins are lost because they will never be touched?  Roll Eyes

I'll never touch them...my great grand kids will use them buy small countries. Cheesy

Two words.

Quantum Computers

It's not gonna happen

Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: