Bitcoin Forum
June 24, 2024, 04:03:07 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: How do other sites protect against DDOS?  (Read 1069 times)
jag2k2 (OP)

Activity: 62
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 15, 2013, 08:19:40 PM

BTC Trading Corp is claiming DDOS and Mt Gox has in the past.   Why don't I ever hear of other webites getting DDOS'd?  How do other sites protect against it and why can't our Bitcoin sites do the same?

I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies... The issuing power should be taken from the banks and restored to the people, to whom it properly belongs. - Thomas Jefferson
Hawker
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1001

View Profile
May 15, 2013, 08:22:40 PM

BTC Trading Corp is claiming DDOS and Mt Gox has in the past.   Why don't I ever hear of other webites getting DDOS'd?  How do other sites protect against it and why can't our Bitcoin sites do the same?

You can't really.  I'm in the gold farming and bot business and we are under constant DDOS with additional pile-ons when someone in China wants us offline for a bit.  Thing is, our DDOS is only in the 5 to 15 gbps range. I saw that the attack on one of the mtgox servers peaked at 38 gbps.  That is a lot of traffic to mitigate - I'm impressed that they manage to still provide a service.

All they can do is try to have redundant servers and tons of bandwidth. 
cianuro

Activity: 15
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 15, 2013, 08:29:02 PM

You can't really.  I'm in the gold farming and bot business and we are under constant DDOS with additional pile-ons when someone in China wants us offline for a bit.  Thing is, our DDOS is only in the 5 to 15 gbps range. I saw that the attack on one of the mtgox servers peaked at 38 gbps.  That is a lot of traffic to mitigate - I'm impressed that they manage to still provide a service.

38 gbps, that's incredible. We regularly deal with 8-10. We use dosarrest and it's like it's not even happening. Amazing service. Recommended to us by rackspace when they couldn't help us. Expensive, but if you're a regular target, worth it.
Hawker
Legendary

View Profile
May 15, 2013, 08:31:14 PM

You can't really.  I'm in the gold farming and bot business and we are under constant DDOS with additional pile-ons when someone in China wants us offline for a bit.  Thing is, our DDOS is only in the 5 to 15 gbps range. I saw that the attack on one of the mtgox servers peaked at 38 gbps.  That is a lot of traffic to mitigate - I'm impressed that they manage to still provide a service.

38 gbps, that's incredible. We regularly deal with 8-10. We use dosarrest and it's like it's not even happening. Amazing service. Recommended to us by rackspace when they couldn't help us. Expensive, but if you're a regular target, worth it.

It was 38 gbps on their HK machine on the graphic I saw.  They were under attack on their other servers too and none less than 6 gbps.

Someone is spending a lot of money on this - my guess is that whoever dumped 7000 coins at once yesterday is trying to buy them back at below $110.
Terk

Activity: 616
Merit: 522

View Profile
May 15, 2013, 08:34:44 PM

How much more expensive they are than CloudFlare? I can't see any public pricing available on their website.

Hawker
Legendary

View Profile
May 15, 2013, 08:38:46 PM

How much more expensive they are than CloudFlare? I can't see any public pricing available on their website.

At that level, there are no published price plans - its whatever you can get someone to agree to.
BitcoinAuthor

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
May 17, 2013, 12:00:01 AM

BTC Trading Corp is claiming DDOS and Mt Gox has in the past.   Why don't I ever hear of other webites getting DDOS'd?  How do other sites protect against it and why can't our Bitcoin sites do the same?

CloudFlare is the most well know, from what I've seen.

Their blog is good, if you're interested in this sort of thing. http://blog.cloudflare.com/
Logik

Activity: 315
Merit: 255

View Profile
May 17, 2013, 12:13:16 AM

BGP / Anycast

http://blog.cloudflare.com/a-brief-anycast-primer

But a good DDOS attack is just difficult to mitigate if you have a centralised target.

IMO, because high traffic DDOS attacks cost a lot of money, I think the magnitude of the DDOS traffic as an indicator of the perceived threat of Bitcoin by the attackers, and therefore a measure of the huge potential they see Bitcoin as having.

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄   
   ████████████████████████████████   
     ▀██████████████████████████▀     
        ▀████████████████████▀       
          ████████████████▀         
            █████████████           
            ▀████████████▀           
             ▀██████████▀             
              ██████████             
               ████████               
               ▀██████▀               
                ██████               

trade.io.
██████
██████
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
██████
██████

▄██████████████████▄
███       ▀███████
███       █████████
███       █████████
███       █████████
███              ██
███   ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄   ███
███   ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄   ███
███              ███
███▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███
██████████████████▀

▄██████████████████▄
███████████▀ ███████
█████████▀   ███████
███████▀     ██▀ ███
███ ▀▀       █▄▄████
███          █▀▀▀▀██
███ ▄▄       ███████
██████▄     █▄ ▀███
█████████▄   ███▄███
███████████▄ ███████
▀██████████████████▀

▄██████████████████▄
████████████████████
███████████████▀▀ ██
█████████▀▀     ███
████▀▀     ▄█▀   ███
███▄    ▄██      ███
█████████▀      ▄██
█████████▄     ████
█████████████▄ ▄████
████████████████████
▀██████████████████▀
██████
██████
   ███
   ███
   ███
   ███
   ███
   ███
   ███
   ███
   ███
██████
██████
.Join the Trading Revolution.
MPOE-PR

Activity: 756
Merit: 522

View Profile
May 17, 2013, 10:37:46 AM

There's exactly one that so far has. You can read up on the details here and here.

The problems with services (such as low end Cloudflare or slightly higher end Black Lotus and its rebranded resellers) are many and numerous. You may pay MP for consultancy on the topic (cheaper) or discover them for yourself, just as MtGox & co have (more expensive).

My Credentials  | THE BTC Stock Exchange | I have my very own anthology! | Use bitcointa.lk, it's like this one but better.
Grinder
Legendary

Activity: 1284

View Profile
May 17, 2013, 05:49:57 PM

IMO, because high traffic DDOS attacks cost a lot of money, I think the magnitude of the DDOS traffic as an indicator of the perceived threat of Bitcoin by the attackers, and therefore a measure of the huge potential they see Bitcoin as having.
Or, more likely, it's because people start panic selling every f'ing time MtGox is being DDOSed. If you're the one doing the DDOSing it's pretty easy to know when you should sell and when you should buy.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: