Bitcoin Forum
June 21, 2024, 02:35:36 AM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: 1. What is [ANN] and 2. Double spends: First tx without a fee. 2nd tx with one.  (Read 520 times)
tjohej (OP)

Activity: 378
Merit: 250

Magic Staff

View Profile
May 15, 2013, 09:02:47 PM
Last edit: May 15, 2013, 09:13:55 PM by tjohej

Question No. 1: what does [ANN] mean when added to topics?

Question No. 2(Short version)
Quote from: bitcoin.it FAQ
If there is no fee at all the transfer can get a very low priority and take hours or even days to be included in a block.
How long and if it isn't included for 3 months will it stay there indefinitely until a miner includes it? If a miner does not include it is there anything the one owning the coins can do about it or are they lost? (until some miner accepts them, sry for repeating myself)

Question No. 2(Long version) Let's assume that now Bitcoin is 100% mainstream(let's imagine also in this example that all governments have abandoned their currencies and replaced them with Bitcoin) and that it is very unlikely that transactions can be sent for free anymore. If you send with a 0BTC tx fee then you'll have to wait at least 2 months until the money arrive or get rejected by the network for taking too long to be processed.

So, is there a time limit for how long a transaction that has not yet been spent stays in the Bitcoin transaction sharing P2P network?
If we assume I sent 0.01 BTC to a friend with a 0 transaction fee and that that amount of money has not yet arrived for 2 weeks because no miner wishes to include my transaction, can I add a fee to the same 0.01 BTC that later can be included by a miner if they wish to do it?

If I was not clear, I'm sorry, and please tell me and I'll try to rephrase my questions and examples. Thanks in advance!

There may still be hope for the 1st decentralized cryptocurrency which is Bitcoin. How to approach different subjects is key to progress.
Kruncha

Activity: 644

View Profile
May 15, 2013, 09:13:49 PM

1. [ANN] = announcement

2. I believe if a transaction isn't added to the blockchain within 48hours it is sent back to your wallet (not 100% on that one)

K.
tjohej (OP)

Magic Staff

View Profile
May 15, 2013, 09:14:40 PM

2. I believe if a transaction isn't added to the blockchain within 48hours it is sent back to your wallet (not 100% on that one)
Wow, thx. It would be awesome if somebody knows if this is correct or if something else is true Cheesy

There may still be hope for the 1st decentralized cryptocurrency which is Bitcoin. How to approach different subjects is key to progress.
tjohej (OP)

Magic Staff

View Profile
May 15, 2013, 10:19:19 PM

by going to #bitcoin on Freenode I got my answer.

transactions will stay in each node's temporary memory until the node is restarted, in which case the transaction is erased from memory along with all transactions. That's how transactions are forgotten in the Bitcoin P2P network.

Haha, my question got answered!  Grin

redlight

Activity: 14
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 15, 2013, 10:57:44 PM

Double spend is a myth that will never happen.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: