Bitcoin Forum
June 14, 2024, 08:58:28 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Scaling question  (Read 365 times)
photonfanatic (OP)

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 05, 2017, 04:06:58 AM

Bit of a newb question here, but it has to do with selling my altcoins. So I bought Ethereum when it was $200, and now I want to sell it. Make a nice little profit there.

But wait! Now bitcoin has gone up to $3100. When I bought the ETH, Bitcoin was only at about $2500.

Am I losing anything? Am I gaining anything? Or has nothing changed? This one is a bit of a mind bender for me.
tsaroz
Legendary

Activity: 2982
Merit: 1069

★Bitvest.io★ Play Plinko or Invest!

View Profile WWW
August 05, 2017, 04:20:43 AM

Bit of a newb question here, but it has to do with selling my altcoins. So I bought Ethereum when it was $200, and now I want to sell it. Make a nice little profit there.

But wait! Now bitcoin has gone up to $3100. When I bought the ETH, Bitcoin was only at about $2500.

Am I losing anything? Am I gaining anything? Or has nothing changed? This one is a bit of a mind bender for me.

Bitcoin is the mother of all cryptos. So, the future of crypto lies with the bitcoins.
In my very personal opinion, buying bitcoin is better than any other cryptos. But to diversify your investment, you can buy other cryptos using your fiat.
Use alts as your backup plan.

.BIG WINNER!.
[15.00000000 BTC]

▄████████████████████▄
██████████████████████
██████████▀▀██████████
█████████░░░░█████████
██████████▄▄██████████
███████▀▀████▀▀███████
██████░░░░██░░░░██████
███████▄▄████▄▄███████
████▀▀████▀▀████▀▀████
███░░░░██░░░░██░░░░███
████▄▄████▄▄████▄▄████
██████████████████████

▀████████████████████▀
▄████████████████████▄
██████████████████████
█████▀▀█▀▀▀▀▀▀██▀▀████
█████░░░░░░░░░░░░░████
█████░░░░░░░░░░░░▄████
█████░░▄███▄░░░░██████
█████▄▄███▀░░░░▄██████
█████████░░░░░░███████
████████░░░░░░░███████
███████░░░░░░░░███████
███████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███████

██████████████████████
▀████████████████████▀
▄████████████████████▄
███████████████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
███████████▀▀▄▄█░░░░░█
█████████▀░░█████░░░░█
███████▀░░░░░████▀░░░▀
██████░░░░░░░░▀▄▄█████
█████░▄░░░░░▄██████▀▀█
████░████▄░███████░░░░
███░█████░█████████░░█
███░░░▀█░██████████░░█
███░░░░░░████▀▀██▀░░░░
███░░░░░░███░░░░░░░░░░

██░▄▄▄▄░████▄▄██▄░░░░
████████████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██
█████████████░█▀▀▀█░███
██████████▀▀░█▀░░░▀█░▀▀
███████▀░▄▄█░█░░░░░█░█▄
████▀░▄▄████░▀█░░░█▀░██
███░▄████▀▀░▄░▀█░█▀░▄░▀
█▀░███▀▀▀░░███░▀█▀░███░
▀░███▀░░░░░████▄░▄████░
░███▀░░░░░░░█████████░░
░███░░░░░░░░░███████░░░
███▀░██░░░░░░▀░▄▄▄░▀░░░
███░██████▄▄░▄█████▄░▄▄

██░████████░███████░█
▄████████████████████▄
████████▀▀░░░▀▀███████
███▀▀░░░░░▄▄▄░░░░▀▀▀██
██░▀▀▄▄░░░▀▀▀░░░▄▄▀▀██
██░▄▄░░▀▀▄▄░▄▄▀▀░░░░██
██░▀▀░░░░░░█░░░░░██░██
██░░░▄▄░░░░█░██░░░░░██
██░░░▀▀░░░░█░░░░░░░░██
██░░░░░▄▄░░█░░░░░██░██
██▄░░░░▀▀░░█░██░░░░░██
█████▄▄░░░░█░░░░▄▄████
█████████▄▄█▄▄████████

▀████████████████████▀

Rainbot
Daily Quests
Faucet
rigel
Legendary

Activity: 1240
Merit: 1001

Thank God I'm an atheist

View Profile
August 05, 2017, 04:44:26 AM

You are gaining $ while you are losing opportunity cost.

There are always better alternatives but you will know them only when it's too late.
photonfanatic (OP)

View Profile
August 05, 2017, 05:03:19 AM

Sorry but in my newbness, I'll have to ask you to elaborate on that a bit more for me.
michellee

Activity: 2814
Merit: 843

CoinPoker.com

View Profile
August 05, 2017, 09:28:31 AM

I am sure you gain profit if you are selling ethereum. maybe you loss a chance to make a long term investment on ethereum because you sold in let say for example $240. i think you don't need to take a look with bitcoin, but in this case you bought ethereum, so you only need to watch ethereum pair usdt to see how much the price now if you decide to sell.

Ehrhc

Activity: 154
Merit: 106

View Profile
August 05, 2017, 11:48:01 AM

ETH will go no where! There are many people using it for ICO and eventually there will be over supply!!!! Sell it! my advice to you!

..C..
........Finally C is .........
...........            ............
       ............            ............
...................      ....................

lakimens

Activity: 392
Merit: 101

PVxYGaa1UZM6oDqW3ZKe4Esi18DgwBpDkr

View Profile
August 05, 2017, 12:48:46 PM

That is why you should always look at the BTC price, not the USD price. This way, when BTC grows, if you bought at 1BTC($2500) and now want to sell at 1BTC($3000), you know you will profit $500.

⚡⚡ PRiVCY ⚡⚡   ▂▃▅▆█ PRiVCY ($PRIV) is a new PoW/PoS revolutionary privacy project Best privacy crypto-market! █▆▅▃▂
    Own Your Privacy! ───────────────── WebsiteGithub  |  Bitcointalk  |  Twitter  |  Discord  |  Explorer ─────────────────
   ✯✯✯✯✯                 ✈✈✈[Free Airdrop - Starts 9th June][Bounty]✈✈✈ ║───────────║ Wallet Windows  |  macOS  |  Linux
Tankdestroyer

Activity: 476
Merit: 107

View Profile
August 05, 2017, 01:23:34 PM

In terms of bitcoin, you haven't really gained anything and maybe you lost some because there will still be fee. In terms of dollars though you gained. To determine if you really gained or lost, choose what you want to base your trading into, USD or BTC. That way you can really determine when to sell because you are in gain or not.
photonfanatic (OP)

View Profile
August 06, 2017, 09:40:55 AM

So this is a valid question, I'm not missing some basic concept here?

How do you guys handle this? Have you ever made a good trade where you were well into the profit, only to have your gains minimized by something like this?
speaktome

Activity: 462
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 06, 2017, 09:17:18 PM
Last edit: August 06, 2017, 09:54:28 PM by speaktome

To see it better you can use the fundamental operations of mathematics: +-/*

When you bought the price was 2500/200=12.5 ETH,so that for each BTC anybody would receive 12.5 ETH right? well then let's see with the new price adjustment you mention,since you do not mention the price that was yesterday for ETH let's sit this on $256, then again 3100/256=12.10 ETH,however it was yesterday now the prices are different but you can use the same way,in other words if you was trying to return to BTC yesterday you would have lost 12.5-12.10=0.4 ETH or its equivalent in BTC that without considering anything else,so you can do the calculations for today yourself and see what is best for you, just consider that the example shows 1 BTC of example,but for the case is the same,or if you prefer in simpler terms in that time you lost 3.2% of your BTC.

▄██████████▄
           ▄██████████████▄
          █████▀      ▀█████
         ████▀          ▀████
         ▀▀▀   ▄██████▄   ███▌
     ▄▄████   ▐████████▌  ████  ▄▄
   ▄████████   ▀██████▀   ███▌ ████▄
  █████▀▀▀▀▀      ▐█▌     ▀▀▀  ▀█████
 ████▀          ▄█████▄          ▀████
████   ▄█████▄▄█▀     ▀█▄▄█████▄   ███▌
███▌  ▐███████▌   ███   ▐███████▌  ▐██▌
████   ▀█████▀    ▀███   ▀█████▀   ███▌