Bitcoin Forum
May 26, 2024, 02:19:53 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Since Mt. Gox has so many problems, why hasn't a better exchange taken over yet?  (Read 895 times)
BitChick (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1001

View Profile
May 16, 2013, 01:23:05 AM

I am fairly new to BTC, only been involved since March, but I was wondering with the huge potential to make billions in BTC, why hasn't any large company stepped up to create the best/easiest and compliant with the law exchange?  I guess there was talk of Coinbase becoming that but we know how that has been working out.  I was using Bitfloor, which was actually pretty good in spite of it being small.  It was a great trading platform and I was actually paid a small amount for buys and sells which made it great to trade on.  I wonder why doesn't someone just buy Bitfloor's platform and build on it?

I guess I am just confused.    

Yes, I know many of you have your other favorite exchanges but I have read up on them and all of them seem to have their problems too!

All I want is a trusted, stable, easy to use, legally compliant, low fee exchange.  Is that so difficult?

1BitcHiCK1iRa6YVY6qDqC6M594RBYLNPo
eklass

Activity: 32
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 16, 2013, 02:14:38 AM

Network effect
bitcoincraps

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
May 16, 2013, 11:02:20 PM

1. Buyers need sellers.
2. Sellers need buyers.
3. Bringing 2-3k sellers and buyers online in the same time on your NEW exchange is impossible. Simply impossible.

We talk about a new exchange being trusted by thousands of traders. It looks easy but the truth is :

- NOBODY trusts a new exchange.
- NOBODY use a new exchange.

Those are the reasons we only have 3 big exchanges :

1. TRUST
2. "The chicken or the egg" causality dilemma.

We (www.bitcoin-exchange.info) have solved number 2 but number 1 can be solved only in time (at least 1 year). Period.

davout
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1007

1davout

View Profile WWW
May 16, 2013, 11:05:27 PM

Network effect
+1

1. Buyers need sellers.
2. Sellers need buyers.
3. Bringing 2-3k sellers and buyers online in the same time on your NEW exchange is impossible. Simply impossible.

We talk about a new exchange being trusted by thousands of traders. It looks easy but the truth is :

This is the reason we only have 3 big exchanges :

1. TRUST

We (bitcoin-exchange.info) have solved number 2 but number 1 can be solved only in time (at least 1 year). Period.
Not at all.
People usually start with small deposits and move on from there, if you can deliver trust is usually not an issue.
The problem is the network effect, liquidity is attracted by liquidity. This can be mitigated by a couple of things : affiliate programs that get you lots of subscriptions, and cutting deals with market makers, or market making yourself.

fredtrader

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 16, 2013, 11:06:26 PM

The only way an exchange would replace mtgox is if it were to go down for weeks or if it got taken down by authorities.
bitcoincraps

View Profile WWW
May 16, 2013, 11:09:40 PM

Network effect
+1

1. Buyers need sellers.
2. Sellers need buyers.

This is the reason we only have 3 big exchanges :

1. TRUST

We (bitcoin-exchange.info) have solved number 2 but number 1 can be solved only in time (at least 1 year). Period.
Not at all.
People usually start with small deposits and move on from there, if you can deliver trust is usually not an issue.
The problem is the network effect, liquidity is attracted by liquidity. This can be mitigated by a couple of things : affiliate programs that get you lots of subscriptions, and cutting deals with market makers, or market making yourself.

1. We have solved the network effect.
2. TRUST = TIME (1 year is just not enough)

bitcoincraps

View Profile WWW
May 16, 2013, 11:13:55 PM

The only way an exchange would replace mtgox is if it were to go down for weeks or if it got taken down by authorities.

I agree. The oldest exchange after mtgox will take 60%, no. 2 around 30% and  no. 3 around 10%

New exchanges will receive 0 new customers in case Mtgox is falling. Its all about trust.

davout
Legendary

1davout

View Profile WWW
May 16, 2013, 11:16:05 PM

Lol wtf. You don't magically "solve" the network effect.

2. TRUST = TIME (1 year is just not enough)
Especially if your forum nick was registered three months ago.

So much stupidity in here it hurts.

bitcoincraps

View Profile WWW
May 16, 2013, 11:52:17 PM

Lol wtf. You don't magically "solve" the network effect.

Is it ? Smiley

BitChick (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
May 17, 2013, 12:11:02 AM

I would think a large established company could get involved and help with the trust issue.  For instance, Money Gram could decide it wants to be a part of this and make it's own exchange?  It may even help them survive if Bitcoin becomes the new way to transfer money internationally.  Of course, there are other companies that are established that could do this too.  It seems like a no-brainier to me.  Are companies just not risk takers?  I would think that they should always be looking for the next think and moving forward if they were smart.

repentance

Activity: 868
Merit: 1000

View Profile
May 17, 2013, 01:31:14 AM

I would think a large established company could get involved and help with the trust issue.  For instance, Money Gram could decide it wants to be a part of this and make it's own exchange?  It may even help them survive if Bitcoin becomes the new way to transfer money internationally.  Of course, there are other companies that are established that could do this too.  It seems like a no-brainier to me.  Are companies just not risk takers?  I would think that they should always be looking for the next think and moving forward if they were smart.

Moneygram has already been busted in the past (they paid an 18 million dollar penalty following FTC investigations) for allowing its network to be used for fraudulent transactions and is still under investigation by FinCEN.  Apart from the enormous costs of setting up properly licensed financial services, there's also a substantial administrative burden imposed by regulatory compliance issues.  You have to recover those costs somehow and it's going to be in the form of fees.

It's less a matter of companies not being risk takers than it is a matter of them deciding that the possible rewards aren't substantial enough to justify the risk.  Their shareholders aren't going to happy about business decisions which would expose them to the possibility of even more regulatory action against them.

All I can say is that this is Bitcoin. I don't believe it until I see six confirmations.
BitChick (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
May 17, 2013, 04:08:07 AM

I would think a large established company could get involved and help with the trust issue.  For instance, Money Gram could decide it wants to be a part of this and make it's own exchange?  It may even help them survive if Bitcoin becomes the new way to transfer money internationally.  Of course, there are other companies that are established that could do this too.  It seems like a no-brainier to me.  Are companies just not risk takers?  I would think that they should always be looking for the next think and moving forward if they were smart.

Moneygram has already been busted in the past (they paid an 18 million dollar penalty following FTC investigations) for allowing its network to be used for fraudulent transactions and is still under investigation by FinCEN.  Apart from the enormous costs of setting up properly licensed financial services, there's also a substantial administrative burden imposed by regulatory compliance issues.  You have to recover those costs somehow and it's going to be in the form of fees.

It's less a matter of companies not being risk takers than it is a matter of them deciding that the possible rewards aren't substantial enough to justify the risk.  Their shareholders aren't going to happy about business decisions which would expose them to the possibility of even more regulatory action against them.

Thanks.  That explains a lot.  Perhaps the high cost of compliance is why the exchanges are having trouble.  Hopefully there will come a day when it will be worth it to pay the high costs to make something great because BTC is so valuable and stable.  Time will tell I guess.

stslimited

Activity: 546
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 17, 2013, 06:36:18 AM

what bitcoin needs is a consolidated order book. it just shows the best bids and asks from all the exchanges, in one order book.

This is what Nasdaq and NYSE do. when you buy and sell shares, they systematically route pieces of the order through multiple exchanges on the order book.

it would allow a new exchange to pop up with lower fees and better bids, asks, and it would quickly get more popular where people will see they can get better fills.

in direct market access platforms, you can choose which "route" you want to let your order sit on if you feel like it. so you can sit your limit order on the mt. gox order book, or sit it on a different one. obviously you will place it on the exchange with the lowest fees.
davout
Legendary

1davout

View Profile WWW
May 17, 2013, 08:17:42 AM

what bitcoin needs is a consolidated order book. it just shows the best bids and asks from all the exchanges, in one order book.

This is what Nasdaq and NYSE do. when you buy and sell shares, they systematically route pieces of the order through multiple exchanges on the order book.

it would allow a new exchange to pop up with lower fees and better bids, asks, and it would quickly get more popular where people will see they can get better fills.

in direct market access platforms, you can choose which "route" you want to let your order sit on if you feel like it. so you can sit your limit order on the mt. gox order book, or sit it on a different one. obviously you will place it on the exchange with the lowest fees.

That's what brokers do, not exchanges.
Bitcoin brokers exist, look them up.

MPOE-PR

Activity: 756
Merit: 522

View Profile
May 17, 2013, 10:43:28 AM

1. Buyers need sellers.
2. Sellers need buyers.

Those are the reasons we only have 3 big exchanges :

1. TRUST

We (www.bitcoin-exchange.info) have solved number 2 but number 1 can be solved only in time (at least 1 year). Period.

Thank you for your expert judgement calls based on nothing whatsoever.

OTC trade is up a good 50% in the past three months. The thing with Bitcoin is that idiots/noobs believe in the website model, and so agglomerate themselves in the killing fields (aka websites). People who know what's what use the WoT and trade OTC.

This trend will continue, the combined "exchange" market will likely continue dropping in relative value and eventually mature into the < 1% it's supposed to be (to which add, of course, all their own wash trading, fake walls and whatnot).

My Credentials  | THE BTC Stock Exchange | I have my very own anthology! | Use bitcointa.lk, it's like this one but better.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: