Bitcoin Forum
June 23, 2024, 01:31:30 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: [Software] A Story of drivers and their lack of Openess  (Read 2704 times)
MrSwordFish (OP)

Activity: 13
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 16, 2013, 02:41:19 AM

Greetings,
well, where to start... I've been at it the whole day(and night) and I am rather annoyed and tired but I hope things get better tomorrow. Here's the story from the start.

So I recently got a 2nd gpu (7970) and added it to my current rig that had a 6970. Originally everything worked fine, so I know my hardware works.
And then I was getting some high temps on my 6970, alone it produced around 66C-70C but when I coupled it with my 7970 to mine both at once my temps naturally rose, my stats were: 6970, 81C-84C and my 7970, 63C-66C.

I should have been happy with that but sadly I went fiddling around, here is what I thought of doing, the way the PCIe slots are on my mobo if I could swap the positions of my 6970 and my 7970 there would be more spacing between the cards and with that their temp would influence each other less and be lower. So I went ahead and did that. Me being all 19 yo and naive I was expecting it to simply work and everything would probably auto detect and etc. but the drivers got all screwed up. I thought to myself, well that makes sense that I would need to re-install the drivers after all, probably...

So I uninstall them and re-install them. My 7970 works fine however my 6970, now in a different slot, is undetected. I tried a few things like scanning for new hardware and so forth but nothing came of it. So I gave up on the idea of swapping them and decided to revert to how things were and try some underclocking to get those temps in a range that I prefer.

Initially, it works, I get my 6970 detected and my 7970 both under device manager and showing up as expected. However.... when I came to reinstall the opencl sdk package from amd I get an error (that I did not get originally) it goes: "Application Install: install package failure!", specifically in the log it is the "AMD APP SDK Samples". Out of curiosity I decided to try mining anyways, my 7970 works but I get errors on my 6970 telling me to check my hardware(not a surprise since it din't install the sdk properly, still remounted my card).

Then I realized that perhaps what I should do is try to install the drivers for my 6970 alone and then do the 7970 later(like when my pc was originally setup), I remove my 7970 and so I proceed to uninstalling the drivers[I uninstalled them in control panel, deleted the reg files, deleted some .dll files in system32 and Syswow64 that remained, cleaned the appdata folder from anything ATI, I TRIED IT ALL http://www.techpowerup.com/forums/showthread.php?t=52502] and reinstalled them... several times (tried SDK v2.4 also and even some earlier versions of catalyst), unfortunately I still get the error when installing the opencl part. Driver are reported as fine though, as in they install without error (it can be noted however that the ccc has fewer options than before i.e.: Overdrive is not available there anymore).

Now here I am trying to get my good old 6970 to work like it used to before I started my ordeal...

Any advice how to get the drivers to work like they used to and opencl or anything to bypass my problems and get my gpus up and mining?
I will edit this post with additional info as needed upon request.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: