Bitcoin Forum
April 24, 2024, 02:20:24 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Mining Altcoins on a home laptop?  (Read 601 times)
coinsgod (OP)

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 06, 2017, 02:12:06 AM

Is it possible to mine some Altcoins on laptop used at home? If so, how do you do it? Which programs do you need to do it? Could peeps recommend some Altcoins worth looking at possibly mining? Thanks

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Each block is stacked on top of the previous one. Adding another block to the top makes all lower blocks more difficult to remove: there is more "weight" above each block. A transaction in a block 6 blocks deep (6 confirmations) will be very difficult to remove.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Undefined31415

Activity: 336
Merit: 253

Gone phishing...

View Profile WWW
August 06, 2017, 02:35:55 AM

Is it possible to mine some Altcoins on laptop used at home? If so, how do you do it? Which programs do you need to do it? Could peeps recommend some Altcoins worth looking at possibly mining? Thanks

What kind of laptop? Does it have a relatively strong GPU? CPU mining in general isn't all that profitable (if at all), even with high-end CPUs.

Keep in mind that pegging your system for long periods of time will wear it down faster. Cooling it properly can help, but that is often difficult with a laptop, unless you're willing to remove the case. (If you use the laptop for other purposes and still need it to be portable, that's probably not an option.)

However, if you plan on dedicating this laptop to mining, and have no other use for it, I'd have to ask why you wouldn't sell the laptop and exchange the proceeds for some cryptocurrencies. After all, you'd only expect significant proceeds from mining with it if you obtained coins that later increased significantly in value, so why not purchase them directly?

▀██▄ ▄██▀
            ▐█████▌
           ▄███▀███▄
         ▄████▄  ▀███▄
       ▄███▀ ▀██▄  ▀███▄
     ▄███▀  ▄█████▄  ▀███▄
   ▄███▀  ▄███▀ ▀███▄  ▀███▄
  ███▀  ▄████▌   ▐████▄  ▀███
 ███   ██▀  ██▄ ▄██  ▀██   ███
███   ███  ███   ███  ███   ███
███   ███   ███████   ███   ███
 ███   ███▄▄       ▄▄███   ███
  ███▄   ▀▀█████████▀▀   ▄███
   ▀████▄▄           ▄▄████▀
      ▀▀███████████████▀▀
DeepOnion
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
   Anonymity Guaranteed
   Anonymous and Untraceable
   Guard Your Privacy
      ▄▄██████████▄▄
    ▄███▀▀      ▀▀█▀   ▄▄
   ███▀              ▄███
  ███              ▄███▀   ▄▄
 ███▌  ▄▄▄▄      ▄███▀   ▄███
▐███  ██████   ▄███▀   ▄███▀
███▌ ███  ███▄███▀   ▄███▀
███▌ ███   ████▀   ▄███▀
███▌  ███   █▀   ▄███▀  ███
▐███   ███     ▄███▀   ███
 ███▌   ███  ▄███▀     ███
  ███    ██████▀      ███
   ███▄             ▄███
    ▀███▄▄       ▄▄███▀
      ▀▀███████████▀▀
Zeix

Activity: 154
Merit: 106

View Profile
August 06, 2017, 02:57:13 AM

Possible? Yes. Profitable? No.
Unless you have a high end gaming laptop, hashrate would be very low. And laptops are not designed to run at 100% GPU load 24/7. They don't have proper cooling for this. You could kill it.

Once I tried to mine with my laptop at work, in my office with air conditioner. It has a GTX 960M. First tried ETH, hashrate was something like 0,2mh. Then tried Zcash, ran it for a few seconds, saw the GPU temp climbing above 80°C in such a short time, in a air contitioned room...immediately stopped it before it can take any damage and never tried it again.
coinsgod (OP)

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 06, 2017, 03:06:29 AM

What kind of laptop? Does it have a relatively strong GPU? CPU mining in general isn't all that profitable (if at all), even with high-end CPUs.

Keep in mind that pegging your system for long periods of time will wear it down faster. Cooling it properly can help, but that is often difficult with a laptop, unless you're willing to remove the case. (If you use the laptop for other purposes and still need it to be portable, that's probably not an option.)

However, if you plan on dedicating this laptop to mining, and have no other use for it, I'd have to ask why you wouldn't sell the laptop and exchange the proceeds for some cryptocurrencies. After all, you'd only expect significant proceeds from mining with it if you obtained coins that later increased significantly in value, so why not purchase them directly?

A Dell laptop, about 6 month's old. Not sure how strong the GPU is but I think it was an ok one at the time of purchase.

From the above two posters, it seems that mining on a laptop is really not a good idea at all. Guess I'll have to pass on it.

sevenmiles

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 06, 2017, 04:35:44 AM

not worthy

crazyivan
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1007

DMD Diamond Making Money 4+ years! Join us!

View Profile
August 06, 2017, 05:15:57 AM

There re a few coins which you can try, just for fun. But you will not be able to make any money. Try Verium, you can mine directly from their wallet!

For security, your account has been locked. Email acctcomp15@theymos.e4ward.com
sameer dadarwal

Activity: 51
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 06, 2017, 07:06:20 AM

I think it is very difficult to mine  Altcions at home.Because we should prefer an ordinary laptop for simple use only.Mining Altcions is very difficult task and you should have a high class laptop specially designed for this purposes. The laptop should have strong GPU running 24/7 .
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: