Bitcoin Forum
May 11, 2024, 05:32:30 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Best way to really learn linux?  (Read 1946 times)
blazin8s (OP)

Activity: 180
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 16, 2013, 09:05:07 AM

Are you masters figuring it all out on your own or are there specific classes a person could take?  I'd like to learn how to write scripts and do anything and everything through the terminal window.
Whoever mines the block which ends up containing your transaction will get its fee.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Missionary

Activity: 224

View Profile WWW
May 16, 2013, 12:44:28 PM

If you are a new user of Linux and you are just starting out, then I would recommend http://linuxcommand.org/lc3_learning_the_shell.php as a start.

After that, do a full installation of Arch Linux. They have really good documentation.

When you are comfortable in Arch Linux, go do a Gentoo installation. They have even better documentation.

When those are mastered, install Debian and relax. These three distros will give you a good understanding of the GNU/Linux operating system.

I am an evangelical missionary heading to China. Donations are welcome here (dedicated wallet): 1H8iswayfTaRb6oe2WjMCRmchBJHYyfx9z
You can find more information about my plans here: http://btcmission.com
maz

Activity: 140

View Profile
May 16, 2013, 12:47:36 PM

You could always do 'Linux from Scratch'.

Should know your stuff by the end of that.

http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/
Missionary

Activity: 224

View Profile WWW
May 16, 2013, 12:57:45 PM

Don't really know if it's worth the hassle if he is not aiming to create a new distribution. Tongue

My general approach is that: "Anything can be done in Linux, I just have to figure out how." Going with that approach has taught me a lot.

I am an evangelical missionary heading to China. Donations are welcome here (dedicated wallet): 1H8iswayfTaRb6oe2WjMCRmchBJHYyfx9z
You can find more information about my plans here: http://btcmission.com
Este Nuno
Legendary

Activity: 826
Merit: 1000

amarha

View Profile
May 16, 2013, 02:49:55 PM

"Anything can be done in Linux, I just have to figure out how."

Just like Zombo.com

Anything is possible. Anything.
yacoin

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 17, 2013, 01:07:45 AM

Don't really know if it's worth the hassle if he is not aiming to create a new distribution. Tongue

My general approach is that: "Anything can be done in Linux, I just have to figure out how." Going with that approach has taught me a lot.

+1 for this. Smiley
TraderTimm
Legendary

Activity: 2408
Merit: 1121

View Profile
May 17, 2013, 01:14:30 AM

A great way to learn is setting up specific things, like Apache webserver, or the typical PHP/MySQL setup in addition to that.
Also, you can get Virtual Machine images for most distributions and utterly ruin them - knowing you can always go back to a fresh install.

Just dive in and mess with commands, "man" is your friend, as is other tools like gedit or vi for text files - dirty way for output on short text files like "cat <filename>", how to untar a tar archive - or under debian how to use "sudo apt-get <package name> install".

Just those kinds of things. Wreck a few virtual machines with "rm -rf" just so you know how dangerous it is under root.

Get your hands dirty, you'll learn pretty quickly.

fortitudinem multis - catenum regit omnia
Welsh
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 3262
Merit: 4110

View Profile
May 17, 2013, 01:48:00 AM

If you are a new user of Linux and you are just starting out, then I would recommend http://linuxcommand.org/lc3_learning_the_shell.php as a start.

After that, do a full installation of Arch Linux. They have really good documentation.

When you are comfortable in Arch Linux, go do a Gentoo installation. They have even better documentation.

When those are mastered, install Debian and relax. These three distros will give you a good understanding of the GNU/Linux operating system.

+1, it has some easy to follow instructions.
BitcoinBarrel
Legendary

Activity: 1961
Merit: 1020

Fill Your Barrel with Bitcoins!

View Profile WWW
May 17, 2013, 05:50:52 AM

If you want quick and easy, then installing Ubuntu will teach you a few things.

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
     ▄██████████████▄
   ▄█████████████████▌
  ▐███████████████████▌
 ▄█████████████████████▄
 ███████████████████████
▐███████████████████████
▐███████████████████████
▐███████████████████████
▐███████████████████████
 ██████████████████████▀
 ▀████████████████████▀
  ▀██████████████████
    ▀▀████████████▀▀

raze

Activity: 182

View Profile
May 17, 2013, 07:19:14 AM

You might also want to take a look at creating a LiveCD or two. They're really handy to learn things on because you can't mess up your install, you just reboot and everything's fresh again.

BTC --16FPbgyUZdTm1voAfi26VZ3RH7apTFGaPm
LTC -- Lhd3gmj84BWqx7kQgqUA7gyoogsLeJbCXb
PPC -- PRpKGjgjNLFv8eR7VVv7jBaP8aexDFqk4C
blazin8s (OP)

Activity: 180

View Profile
May 23, 2013, 12:59:31 AM

Thank you very much to everyone in this thread, & Thank you Missionary.

Those are all great tips, and sites

I saved all the links and info, I am going to dive in and get my hands dirty.  This is exciting.  Cheesy
thezerg
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1010

View Profile
May 24, 2013, 01:24:42 AM

You might also want to take a look at creating a LiveCD or two. They're really handy to learn things on because you can't mess up your install, you just reboot and everything's fresh again.

its a lot more convenient to install virtualbox and hack around with a Linux virtual machine..
ranlo
Legendary

Activity: 1974
Merit: 1007

View Profile
May 24, 2013, 01:31:47 AM

Are you masters figuring it all out on your own or are there specific classes a person could take?  I'd like to learn how to write scripts and do anything and everything through the terminal window.

Learn by doing! Find something you want to know, Google it, and just do it. Over time you will become more adept at it. Just make sure you keep practicing.

https://nanogames.io/i-bctalk-n/
Message for info on how to get kickbacks on sites like Nano (above) and CryptoPlay!
yvv
Legendary

Activity: 1344

View Profile WWW
May 24, 2013, 01:33:55 AM

RTFM

That's it.

naypalm
Legendary

Activity: 1272
Merit: 1012

howdy

View Profile WWW
May 24, 2013, 02:47:52 AM

First, I figured out stuff on my own, then I took a class in college.

justusranvier
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1009

View Profile
May 24, 2013, 03:46:53 AM

You could always do 'Linux from Scratch'.

Should know your stuff by the end of that.

http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/
Exactly what I was going to recommend.

Start with mastering LFS. If you keep it up at some point you'll get tired of doing everything manually and will have accumulated a collection of Bash scripts that kind of almost halfway automates the build and install process for you. This is about the time where you've learned enough to graduate to Gentoo because Portage does the exact same thing except much better.
payb.tc

Activity: 812

View Profile
May 24, 2013, 03:57:33 AM

Another vote for Virtualbox.

The other added benefit is if you're already set up with encryption (eg with Truecrypt), then you don't need to do that all over again for your new installs, just keep all your Virtualbox stuff on your encrypted container.
ranlo
Legendary

Activity: 1974
Merit: 1007

View Profile
May 24, 2013, 10:02:59 AM

I'll toss in a vote for VirtualBox as well. I was thinking Ubuntu (using WUBI) would be the best option for a newbie, but since you won't be doing graphical things (like gaming) on it most likely while you're learning, VB will work better. It allows you to run Linux alongside your other OS, kind of like a hybrid system. The only downside is it sucks for gaming, but if you decide to move to that later you can just do a full Linux swap.

https://nanogames.io/i-bctalk-n/
Message for info on how to get kickbacks on sites like Nano (above) and CryptoPlay!
alkuluku

Activity: 110
Merit: 10

🙏

View Profile WWW
May 25, 2013, 02:35:33 AM

RTFM

That's it.

This

QuestionAuthority
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1393

You lead and I'll watch you walk away.

View Profile
May 25, 2013, 03:38:59 AM

Try installing a distro that's fun an easy like Pinguy OS. It has lots of software already set up and it's based on Ubuntu so it will be easy to set up and operate. Just play with it for a while. That's the best way to learn. You will be installing compiz fusion and spinning 3d boxes on your computer in no time.  Smiley

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: