Bitcoin Forum
May 14, 2024, 07:34:20 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitaddress private key begins with a 6  (Read 638 times)
calkob (OP)

Activity: 1092
Merit: 520

View Profile
August 07, 2017, 01:32:36 PM

Hi i have a few encrypted bip38 private keys that i am able to sweep using breadwallet, however i know that my core wallet wont allow my to importprivkey in that format.  but now when i go to bitaddress to decrypt it is saying that the privkey is not valid,  anyone else experienced this or know how to sort it? 
The grue lurks in the darkest places of the earth. Its favorite diet is adventurers, but its insatiable appetite is tempered by its fear of light. No grue has ever been seen by the light of day, and few have survived its fearsome jaws to tell the tale.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
BrewMaster
Legendary

Activity: 2114
Merit: 1292

There is trouble abrewing

View Profile
August 07, 2017, 04:02:27 PM

when you encrypt a private key with BIP38 the result starts with a 6.
using the bitaddress.org you can simply decrypt these.

go to the last tab saying "wallet details" and type in your encrypted private key in the first field "Enter Private Key" and your password in the second "Enter BIP38 passphrase" (you may have to check the box for it to appear) and click Decrypt BIP38

here is some dummy data you can test it with:

Encrypted: 6PYSiFbYbcuk7WTexSxDc3msW5Wzu8J9LdksiG6qELpvft2jgKo5fqwCD4
passphrase: brew

you should see:
address: 1Mbqc6KXkkCuVp3nbBhNcQWYExJKjKHTSN
compressed private key: Kzfoo5ymAipAA6zJieDSKWJYNBHQkvxvkLpzarnWSqSaSWVZXJNa

if the dummy data worked but your data didn't then you are entering some chars wrong. double check things like (I <> l) or (O <> o <> 0)

There is a FOMO brewing...
DannyHamilton
Legendary

Activity: 3388
Merit: 4653

View Profile
August 07, 2017, 04:18:08 PM

Hi i have a few encrypted bip38 private keys that i am able to sweep using breadwallet, however i know that my core wallet wont allow my to importprivkey in that format.  but now when i go to bitaddress to decrypt it is saying that the privkey is not valid,  anyone else experienced this or know how to sort it? 

You are almost certainly either missing one or more characters when you enter it, or are typing one or more wrong characters (or both).
calkob (OP)

Activity: 1092
Merit: 520

View Profile
August 09, 2017, 08:22:59 PM

Thaks for tall the replies, much appreciated.

yep, i think i need new glasses  Roll Eyes Doh.  k Instead of K and i tried this 5 times....... i amaze myself sometimes lol  Wink
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: