Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 01:48:08 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Trying to get BCH out, EC crashes on launch  (Read 518 times)
thantos (OP)

Activity: 23
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 07, 2017, 04:40:34 PM

I have a Mac MBA which has my Electrum wallets, old and new. I also have a hackintosh desktop on which I tried to install Electron Cash but it crashes on launch. Googling it results in pages of hits about BCH crashing on launch! Anyway, my question:

1. As precaution, I copy me Electrum wallets to a USB, delete them off my main user account.
2. Create and login as a new user and install Electron Cash there, and import the seeds/keys holding the BCH.

I'm guessing that should be safe? I tried accessing my main user directories from the secondary user account but, of course, I cannot. I'm wondering if that's only because I don't know how to really scan everything on a drive outside of a GUI, or is that pretty difficult even for super-smart malware hackers?  Any other alternatives?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Every time a block is mined, a certain amount of BTC (called the subsidy) is created out of thin air and given to the miner. The subsidy halves every four years and will reach 0 in about 130 years.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
jackg
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 2856
Merit: 3071

https://bit.ly/387FXHi lightning theory

View Profile
August 07, 2017, 06:23:09 PM

I have a Mac MBA which has my Electrum wallets, old and new. I also have a hackintosh desktop on which I tried to install Electron Cash but it crashes on launch. Googling it results in pages of hits about BCH crashing on launch! Anyway, my question:

1. As precaution, I copy me Electrum wallets to a USB, delete them off my main user account.
2. Create and login as a new user and install Electron Cash there, and import the seeds/keys holding the BCH.

I'm guessing that should be safe? I tried accessing my main user directories from the secondary user account but, of course, I cannot. I'm wondering if that's only because I don't know how to really scan everything on a drive outside of a GUI, or is that pretty difficult even for super-smart malware hackers?  Any other alternatives?

Just use it normally on yor primary login.
If you give them your seed and keys, they aren't really after much else anyway? If they were a hacker, they're not after searching through your entire disk for coins as you'd just load your keys into them.
To be safe, you could make another electrum wallet on your other computer, send the BTC across from your initial wallet and get electron cash running from the original mashine.

What may be useful to check is that, if you can't access the user files of the primary user, you are not an administrator on the system. And instead of the software crashing, you are unable to open it without the right privilages (normally any non-admin user must wait for an admin to open a specific executable file and make it avaliable to the other user before the other user can run it themselves - as far as I know).
thantos (OP)

View Profile
August 07, 2017, 06:49:54 PM

To be safe, you could make another electrum wallet on your other computer, send the BTC across from your initial wallet and get electron cash running from the original mashine.

Thanks. This is exactly what I am half-way through doing. I'll have to move Electrum back again but ...

I'm the admin and user and hey-you all rolled into one... Have no idea why Electrum works on the desktop but Electron Cash doesn't but it's beyond my capacity to figure it out
jackg
Copper Member
Legendary

View Profile
August 07, 2017, 07:11:22 PM

Thanks. This is exactly what I am half-way through doing. I'll have to move Electrum back again but ...

I'm the admin and user and hey-you all rolled into one... Have no idea why Electrum works on the desktop but Electron Cash doesn't but it's beyond my capacity to figure it out

I have no idea why that error exists then.
If you wanted to, you could try another client to get your BCC/BCH out. Such as bitcoinABC or BitcoinUnlimited, but these require you to download the whole blockchain, and, alhtough you can get it down to about 4GB with the -prune command, there's still a lot of time needed to sync the clients.

These clients are very safe and are regular bitcoin wallet, it waselectron cash that was one of the wallets that seemed slightly gray in that area as no one knows the developers.
thantos (OP)

View Profile
August 07, 2017, 08:06:43 PM

Thanks, I'll take a look at BitcoinABC - I saw a couple other people mention using it. That way I can hang on to the BCH and not have to rush to sell it. Speaking of - is there a BCH to BTC exchange you use?
jackg
Copper Member
Legendary

View Profile
August 07, 2017, 08:16:49 PM

Thanks, I'll take a look at BitcoinABC - I saw a couple other people mention using it. That way I can hang on to the BCH and not have to rush to sell it. Speaking of - is there a BCH to BTC exchange you use?

You might want to check the minimal number of confirmations but the current exchanges I know accepting bitcoin cash are:
yobit.net
bitfinex.com
bittrex.com
poloniex.com
viabtc.com (as these mine BCC they might be a good one to use as they'll be able to test the network and work out the optimal number of cnfirmations needed).

I'm not sure about any others other than shapeshift.io (but that'll give you a lower trade rate as it's instant) and hashnest.com (But they want 100 confirmations and they also are mainly for mining).
thantos (OP)

View Profile
August 07, 2017, 10:03:19 PM

Thanks. Yobit certainly has the snazziest website of the lot.... but you maybe right, ViaBTC may be the better option;  even though the Terms of Use have a Seinfeld  "No soup for you" finger-wagging quality to them!  Took a bit of Googling to find out that Yobit was based in Russia
jackg
Copper Member
Legendary

View Profile
August 07, 2017, 10:13:03 PM

Thanks. Yobit certainly has the snazziest website of the lot.... but you maybe right, ViaBTC may be the better option;  even though the Terms of Use have a Seinfeld  "No soup for you" finger-wagging quality to them!  Took a bit of Googling to find out that Yobit was based in Russia

Yes, yobit is Russian, viabtc is Chinese along with hashnest. Work out based on those two which you trust more...
I think lots are either Russian or Chinese one of them might be American (I know coinbase.com is based in the US). But they don't accept bcc afaik.
thantos (OP)

View Profile
August 09, 2017, 03:44:17 AM

Cex.io is UK based and is listed on the BitcoinCash.org page.

ViaBTC tells you a bit about itself and where they are based....
Yobit doesn't disclose any of that in an easy to find way....
jackg
Copper Member
Legendary

View Profile
August 09, 2017, 05:51:00 PM

Cex.io is UK based and is listed on the BitcoinCash.org page.

ViaBTC tells you a bit about itself and where they are based....
Yobit doesn't disclose any of that in an easy to find way....
Ahhh, I forgot about Cex. Yes they are UK based - their ssl certificate and company both have uk registration.

All I can find about yobit mainly is this: https://who.is/whois/yobit.net

They're from moscow, russia (I think the emails and numbers provided are owned by the registrar or who.is itself).
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: