Bitcoin Forum
May 14, 2024, 01:43:48 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: I can't stop gambling what do I do  (Read 2105 times)
Theraty

Activity: 196
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 16, 2013, 06:43:24 PM

Oui,  I have a solution for you. Pick someone who you really trust not to indulge you. Then create a two signature address so each of you get a private key. And keep your funds there.

Where can you do this. Brillian Idea.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Each block is stacked on top of the previous one. Adding another block to the top makes all lower blocks more difficult to remove: there is more "weight" above each block. A transaction in a block 6 blocks deep (6 confirmations) will be very difficult to remove.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Pzi4nk

Activity: 70

Move over clarinets, I'm getting on the band wagon

View Profile
May 16, 2013, 06:52:49 PM

Oui,  I have a solution for you. Pick someone who you really trust not to indulge you. Then create a two signature address so each of you get a private key. And keep your funds there.

Where can you do this. Brillian Idea.

You could just use an online wallet with two factor authentication, one keeps the password the other has the pin sent to their phone. Both parties would need to confirm the action to access the wallet.
lophie

Activity: 924
Merit: 1001

Unlimited Free Crypto

View Profile
May 16, 2013, 07:08:17 PM

DON'T USE ONLINE WALLETS, Why don't this community learn that this is a bad idea!

Will take me a while to climb up again, But where is a will, there is a way...
Pzi4nk

View Profile
May 16, 2013, 07:24:02 PM

DON'T USE ONLINE WALLETS, Why don't this community learn that this is a bad idea!

I guess my assumption was we were talking about a small number of coins. But I agree, online wallets are less secure and should be used with caution.
jackjack
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1255

May Bitcoin be touched by his Noodly Appendage

View Profile
May 16, 2013, 07:38:43 PM
Last edit: May 16, 2013, 07:49:29 PM by jackjack

Use some ECC math and send coins to ( your public key * private key only known by trusted guy )
When you want to use your coins, multiply both private keys and it gives the final private key to use

How to
Here, A is OP and B is trusted guy

Sending:
  • A sends his public key(Apk) to B
  • B computes Apk * Bpvk (Bpvk is a private key) and the result is the vault public key
  • B computes the corresponding address and makes it public
  • A sends coins to that address

Redeeming:
  • B sends Bpvk to A (can be done securely: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=196378.0)
  • A computes Apvk * Bpvk (Apvk is the private key corresponding to Apk) and the results is the vault private key: Vpvk
  • A imports Vpvk in a wallet
  • A uses his coins

Own address: 19QkqAza7BHFTuoz9N8UQkryP4E9jHo4N3 - Pywallet support: 1AQDfx22pKGgXnUZFL1e4UKos3QqvRzNh5 - Bitcointalk++ script support: 1Pxeccscj1ygseTdSV1qUqQCanp2B2NMM2
Pywallet: instructions. Encrypted wallet support, export/import keys/addresses, backup wallets, export/import CSV data from/into wallet, merge wallets, delete/import addresses and transactions, recover altcoins sent to bitcoin addresses, sign/verify messages and files with Bitcoin addresses, recover deleted wallets, etc.
yacoin

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 17, 2013, 01:07:15 AM

Give all your money to your girlfriend Smiley
Welsh
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 3262
Merit: 4110

View Profile
May 17, 2013, 01:48:59 AM

Give all your money to your girlfriend Smiley

Bad idea, I did this once and she spent it all!
b!z (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1582
Merit: 1010

View Profile
May 17, 2013, 03:05:02 AM

Oh, I am sorry. I lost some money in gambling too (a bit more than I expected to loose, but not too much).

Maybe you could become a trader? It has much in common with gambling and could help you to develop your capital management skills.

Define your set of rules of how you deal with your capital (e. g. don't put all your eggs in one basket, don't risk more than 2% of your capital at a time, etc).

Create a spreadsheet where you track your actions and assets, buy pass-through to SatoshiDice (at least you'll get some of your lost coins back as dividends Smiley).

Evaluate your portfolio daily, log your mistakes and achievements.

This is what happened when I tried daytrading https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=178706.0
RationalSpeculator

Activity: 294
Merit: 250

This bull will try to shake you off. Hold tight!

View Profile
May 17, 2013, 03:17:30 AM

I'm sorry you are suffering from compulsive addictive behavior Sad That must be hard for you Sad

Compulsive addictions, be it compulsive gambling, smoking, drugs, ... are a coping method to feel better. Ask yourself if you feel bad/unhappy in your soul. Why? What are you missing in your life? Did u have a healthy upbringing with enough support, care, warmth, love? How are the people close in your life treating you?

Check freedomainradio and IFS therapy.                
b!z (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1582
Merit: 1010

View Profile
May 17, 2013, 03:42:40 AM

I'm sorry you are suffering from compulsive addictive behavior Sad That must be hard for you Sad

Compulsive addictions, be it compulsive gambling, smoking, drugs, ... are a coping method to feel better. Ask yourself if you feel bad/unhappy in your soul. Why? What are you missing in your life? Did u have a healthy upbringing with enough support, care, warmth, love? How are the people close in your life treating you?

I'm missing 20 btc in my life.
Elwar
Legendary

Activity: 3598
Merit: 2386

Viva Ut Vivas

View Profile WWW
May 17, 2013, 05:58:08 AM
Last edit: May 17, 2013, 06:14:23 AM by Elwar

Losing money can suck. I had about 750 BTC at one point. Bitcoinica helped me to dwindle that down to about 200.

But that 750 BTC cost me $10k. That 200 I have left is worth over $20k.

Keep any BTC you still have.

I usually do not tell people about this because I do not want other people to compete against me making money but...

Go to BitFinex, move 20-30 BTC over there. Go to Lending, click the BTC tab.

Lend your BTC at a variable rate.  You will not get rich, but you will be holding on to bitcoins which will gain in value. And you will slowly increase your bitcoin holdings. I have had about 25 BTC in there for the past three weeks. I have only made .15 over that time but that is more than I would have made if it was in my cold storage.

However, it is a new company in a foreign country running the same software that ended up making a lot of people lose money. The risk involved is that the company will disappear and your bitcoins with it. That is why I only have 25 in there and not 200.

Buy a couple of bitcoins. In a year they will be worth more than your 20 BTC you lost.

First seastead company actually selling sea homes: Ocean Builders https://ocean.builders  Of course we accept bitcoin.
Pzi4nk

View Profile
May 17, 2013, 09:05:24 AM

This is what happened when I tried daytrading https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=178706.0

I read the entire thread. It's a heartbreaker. Glad you're still in the game b!z, a lot of guys wouldn't have come back after that.
Rampion
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1018

View Profile
May 17, 2013, 02:47:27 PM

I'm missing 20 btc in my life.

I can guarantee you will miss more money if you keep gambling.

Forget about gambling - it's stupid and pointless. There's no point in it - it's just sheer luck, and it is never "fair", because the house has an edge, which mean that they always win.

Look at it this way: you have to be very dumb to risk your money on a game that you will always lose, if you play it long enough. Are you so dumb? Are you really SO DUMB?

Ask to you that question, and act accordingly.

Mike Christ
aka snapsunny
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1003

View Profile
May 17, 2013, 02:52:28 PM

I can't stop Bitcoining, wat do?

Rampion
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1018

View Profile
May 17, 2013, 02:56:50 PM

I just gave a quick look at your post history, and sadly I have to say that you are really THAT stupid.

You should ask yourself why you decided to sell. You say you bought some of them at 2$. That indicates you have been here for a while, at least longer than I have.

Did you somehow stop believing in the future of Bitcoin? Was it just a panic atac? Try to pinpoint the feelings that triggered your decision and make a mental note of them, and be alert next time those thoughts come into your brain.

At least I can consider the money lost a part of my financial education Smiley

edit: maybe i should try to recover my losses with satoshi dice?

Again: you want to "recover" your losses with a rigged game, created for you to always lose if you play long enough?

As a general advice: stop thinking you will make money quickly and easily. That's not happening, that's a delusion - are you delusional? Don't listen to the stories of those that say that had huge wins with speculative investments, gambling and whatnot, because half of them are hugely exaggerating (typical of delusional behaviour), and the other half just omit the huge losses they incurred in previous operations/gambles.

And goes without saying that losers, which are more than winners, simply do not like to tell their experience.

The only way to make real money that it won't go away as fast as it came is to work your ass off. Stick that into your mind bro, and stop gambling or go broke.

arsenische
Legendary

Activity: 1199
Merit: 1012

View Profile
May 17, 2013, 03:31:14 PM
Last edit: May 17, 2013, 04:58:21 PM by arsenische

I read the entire thread. It's a heartbreaker. Glad you're still in the game b!z, a lot of guys wouldn't have come back after that.

Make your set of rules and follow them. Each time when you feel excited and want to game the system... Tell yourself "I am not a gambler, I am a trader"...

When you distribute your wealth among different assets and exchanges, it is not that easy to loose it all... Even if you sold bitcoins at $50, you didn't loose 100% of your capital. You can think of it as preserving its USD value, that is not that bad!

Bitcoin is a risky business after all. If its rate went back to $15, you would be happy. But nobody knows where it goes, so just keep your portfolio diversified and don't risk more than some %% of your capital per order or per day.

And remember: it is almost impossible to loose all of your money trading unless you use margin trading or make dozens of trades a day (and paying fees to exchange).

ironcross360

Activity: 140
Merit: 100

Troll of the Fourth Reich.

View Profile
May 17, 2013, 04:56:46 PM

I can give you Non-licensed Gambling counseling and guarantee to stop your gambling problem for 2btc
I just lost 20 BTC with 50% dice what do I do please help me

Why are you just staring at this? Just send it! 1MHZjADM41ttjbPUiTPYWGYGm45XLf8ZeS
mufa23
Legendary

Activity: 1022
Merit: 1001

I'd fight Gandhi.

View Profile
May 17, 2013, 05:02:33 PM

Fly a plane. Try skydiving. Wrestle a shark. Take down some drug lord in South American. Buy 10,000 dildos and litter them on Paypal's lawn. If you're gonna go broke, do it by doing something no one else has done before. Something epic, because gambling is lame.

Positive rep with: pekv2, AzN1337c0d3r, Vince Torres, underworld07, Chimsley, omegaaf, Bogart, Gleason, SuperTramp, John K. and guitarplinker
alkuluku

Activity: 110

🙏

View Profile WWW
May 20, 2013, 08:03:50 AM

It's about brain chemistry. Human brain is still quite similar to what it was when we were hunter-gatherers and it rewards risk taking. For some people (like me) this is a bigger problem and they need to take risks to feel happy or even normal. I think it changes when you get older though. At least today I don't have the similar urge to do extreme sports as I had 10 years ago.

I also had a gambling problem, but after I became a winning poker player the -EV games lost most of their appeal.

alkuluku

Activity: 110

🙏

View Profile WWW
May 20, 2013, 08:07:42 AM

Fly a plane. Try skydiving. Wrestle a shark. Take down some drug lord in South American. Buy 10,000 dildos and litter them on Paypal's lawn. If you're gonna go broke, do it by doing something no one else has done before. Something epic, because gambling is lame.
From those I've only tried skydiving but it's the 2nd best cure for depression I can think of. 

Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: