Bitcoin Forum
April 18, 2024, 10:11:53 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: What country do a majority of scammers seem to come from?  (Read 476 times)
Playboi (OP)

Activity: 187
Merit: 103

View Profile
August 07, 2017, 09:43:35 PM

Red flags usually raise when i'm dealing with certain nations. Which nations do you feel a majority of scammers are coming from?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Whoever mines the block which ends up containing your transaction will get its fee.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Pearls Before Swine

Activity: 1190
Merit: 306

View Profile
August 07, 2017, 09:53:14 PM
Last edit: August 07, 2017, 11:48:29 PM by Pearls Before Swine

Philippines,  China, Vietnam, and I think France is well represented.   This is a sticky question,  because
the answers are going to be accused of racism and so forth.  I've seen a lot of scammers come
from Asia...but the US, Canada, and all of N.America have produced scammers.  Master-P was
Canadian (i think), pirateat40 was American.   But these no engrish scammy fucks you see daily here,
well,  a lot are from asia.

Oh yeah, forgot about Nigeria and India.
Xavofat

Activity: 938
Merit: 559

Did you see that ludicrous display last night?

View Profile
August 07, 2017, 10:53:33 PM

I can't say I have statistics behind anything, so this is tentative, but I would be more wary of third world countries.  My reasoning:

1.  Poorer people are more desperate and have a stronger incentive to steal.
2.  Bitcointalk is an easy way to scam people from richer countries (Westerners), because it might take some effort to take scammed digital USD and convert it into their national currency.

However, if you exercise normal precautions (always dealing with escrow, avoiding reversible transfer systems such as PayPal unless it's 100% necessary), there is no need to consider a person's country in your assessment of whether they are a scammer.
Emoclaw

Activity: 420
Merit: 251

View Profile
August 07, 2017, 10:56:55 PM

It depends on what type of scams you're talking about.

I know for a fact that India is at the forefront of fake rep (through telephone) scamming, impersonating everything from Microsoft to IRS employees.
It is most unfortunate that many people do fall for such scams.
Yuhee

Activity: 546
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 07, 2017, 11:13:54 PM

1.  Poorer people are more desperate and have a stronger incentive to steal.

Gotta agree that its third world but i dont think the main reason is because they are poor rather they are smart and they already know how to manipulate the system in the web. Cause hacking needs a lot investment also. Its not typically in the movies that even normal person could hack it with just some basic knowledge. Furtheremore in general scammers tend to be in a suit rather than in a torned clothing.
Ultegra134

Activity: 1540
Merit: 740

View Profile
August 07, 2017, 11:47:25 PM

The known ones are mostly from "3rd World" classificated countries. The ones I've seen on the internet are mostly from India, Indonesia, Philippines, Nigeria.
Had some items for sale, got a text message from an unknown number which was the known Nigeria scam scheme.
I've also had my PayPal account accessed and had funds stolen from an IP in Indonesia.
Had some cases where Steam, Origin and other online accounts had break-in attempts from Indonesia, Russia and Philippines.
Also, I was faced with a known scam scheme here in Greece which would "freeze" your computer and ask for Bitcoin or some sort of gift cards because your computer was found to have interfered in illegal activities, it was made that way that it looked like the Police Cyber crime locked your PC.I think it was based somewhere in North Africa. Happened on a Chromebook I had.

R

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▄▄
████████████████
▀▀▀▀█████▀▀▀█████
████████▌███▐████
▄▄▄▄█████▄▄▄█████
████████████████
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██████▀▀
LLBIT
  CRYPTO   
FUTURES
 1,000x 
LEVERAGE
COMPETITIVE
    FEES    
 INSTANT 
EXECUTION
   TRADE NOW   
LTU_btc
Legendary

Activity: 3038
Merit: 1330

Slava Ukraini!

View Profile WWW
August 08, 2017, 12:00:34 AM

I don't want to mention certain countries, because there are lot of scammers in majority of countries can be found. I would like to divide types of scamming by countries. If we talk about 3rd world countries, many people are making scams here to earn for a living. They creating unprofessional investment schemes, extorting money and scamming people by selling stuff without having it.
If we talk about average and rich countries, basically, scammers are doing same things, but more professional and at bigger scale. Here people are trying not just to earn money, but earn for luxurious living.

unamis76
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1005

View Profile
August 08, 2017, 12:01:50 AM

Please, let's not discriminate... Scams come from everywhere! Roll Eyes
Levien

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

View Profile
November 11, 2017, 08:39:26 PM

most of them...china
feitan11

Activity: 51
Merit: 10

View Profile
November 12, 2017, 04:00:49 AM

china. they have a lots of scammers. they're good in using internet
readygoaw

Activity: 476
Merit: 105

View Profile
November 12, 2017, 12:09:49 PM

Forgive me, guys from Nigeria, but what I know for sure exactly this country is the place where most scam comes from.
kriem

Activity: 26
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 13, 2017, 03:31:54 PM

In my experience hell a lot of scammers are from Nigeria or China. I haven't encountered scammers from Netherlands but I'm pretty sure they're represent... In the end, scammers are from everywhere around the globe. They just use their PC to scam around and hide themselves.
R_adrianX44

Activity: 37

View Profile
November 13, 2017, 04:36:18 PM

Sorry but i think China
Willitivity

Activity: 1190
Merit: 256

View Profile
November 13, 2017, 05:13:45 PM

Actually scam comes from all over the world. In every ountries you can likely find scammers.
Though it's pretty much in some countries than others, Nigeria is most notorious for scam.
Playboi (OP)

Activity: 187
Merit: 103

View Profile
August 15, 2018, 06:29:52 PM

some interesting replies in this topic
cryptoladybug

Activity: 81

View Profile
August 15, 2018, 07:28:49 PM

I think the country doesn't matter. You'll always find a scammer in every country
Ravenninety

Activity: 31
Merit: 1

View Profile
September 03, 2018, 03:33:16 PM

Red flags usually raise when i'm dealing with certain nations. Which nations do you feel a majority of scammers are coming from?

Doesn't matter what country we live in scammers are every where but some can higher than others and it is hard to say which country have more scammers
drmilind2004

Activity: 280
Merit: 28

View Profile
September 03, 2018, 03:56:40 PM

There are the 'simpleton' scammers, the kind who pose as Princes hailing from third world countries, and promising you huge rewards, if you only send them some down payment for postal expenses. Even an idiot can spot them from afar, because they are so clumsy.

Then, there are the sophisticated scammers who will rob the shirt off your back, and all the time you'll be complimenting them on a job well done. These latter ones, honeyed tongues, have excellent references and Linkedin profiles that invite you to connect. You'll never spot them until they've emptied your bank accounts, and even that act you'll feel was a legitimate deed; so immaculate is their web of spin.  Such types invariably hail only from the poshest of climes in first world countries.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: