Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 05:29:45 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: This forum needs to take action on new alts!  (Read 870 times)
jlspartz (OP)

Activity: 205
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 16, 2013, 03:03:15 PM

A couple notes about why the forum should care:

First, I understand this place is for bitcoins, but much of the alt trading is done through btc and is compared in value to btc being the base crypto, so it is part of its market. Less alt trading or alt values equal less btc moving as well. It also allows many newcomers to get into mining, many times cashing out through buying of btc.

Second, from drowning in new alt releases, the market will continue getting devalued with spreading out hashing power, less buyers per coin, spam coins, scams, trojans, etc. Future "New coins" will continue popping up with every malware and scam you can think of because someone will download and try it, and in SEO terms Google doesn't like sites with links to these.

Now getting to the point:

You're giving all these new alts a leg to stand on without any merit. Its the admins and mods decision in the end with how to handle this, but here is a thought to consider. Any others are welcome to post their ideas for cutting down the spam coins.
Make an announcement system, no need for it to be elaborate, where the announcement of new coins need to pay 1 BTC to post it otherwise the thread is deleted.
I love free and open, but this is why this would work: If they can't pay then its of no value to them. If they can't pay you have to question if they've mined anything before. If they can't pay that means they can't convince a friend that their coin is good enough to make their 1 BTC back. If they can't pay that means they can't garner the support of the community through donations.
"In a nutshell, the network works like a distributed timestamp server, stamping the first transaction to spend a coin. It takes advantage of the nature of information being easy to spread but hard to stifle." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Mhash pipe

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 16, 2013, 03:08:57 PM

Yes lets regulate decentralized cryptocurrencies!!! Wait.. oh...
hellscabane
Legendary

Activity: 896
Merit: 1000

View Profile
May 16, 2013, 03:09:09 PM

It's a refreshing idea, but this doesn't take care of those who have pumped and dumped before and could actually afford to make more scamcoins with the money they already made on their previous coins.

Something like this might actually give more power to the scammers since people would believe these coins would have some sort of legitimacy and be more apt to mining and being sucked in to another con.
nerdcustoms

Activity: 224

View Profile
May 16, 2013, 03:10:57 PM

It is a free world, but it wouldn't hurt to have "requirements" in place for new alt coin to try and remain professional like WorldCoin's release.  Although in the end, people will choose what they want to mine and what they want to spend as a coin.  I personally like BTC/LTC/PPC/WDC.  

*Image Removed*
Reputation Thread: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=202142
Joe_Bauers

Activity: 802
Merit: 1003

GCVMMWH

View Profile
May 16, 2013, 03:19:48 PM

Although in the end, people will choose what they want to mine and what they want to spend as a coin.  

+1

I'm guessing that 1 BTC is absolutely trivial to the pump and dumpers. Also - where does the BTC go?  Also
there are other internets apart from this forum  Wink In addition, it is beneficial to the BTC miners when hashing power is diverted from Bitcoin. I believe YAC is the only viable alt coin released in the past few months so I've kept an eye on it, and while it's hard sometimes to scan through this section of the forum, the other coins certainly haven't been much of a distraction.
Praxis
Legendary

Activity: 1118
Merit: 1004

View Profile
May 16, 2013, 03:24:55 PM

Yes lets regulate decentralized cryptocurrencies!!! Wait.. oh...

This.
jlspartz (OP)

View Profile
May 16, 2013, 04:05:34 PM

It's a refreshing idea, but this doesn't take care of those who have pumped and dumped before and could actually afford to make more scamcoins with the money they already made on their previous coins.

Something like this might actually give more power to the scammers since people would believe these coins would have some sort of legitimacy and be more apt to mining and being sucked in to another con.

Agreed it might look more legit, and if whatever scam or trojan can make more than the fee than it will continue if they are persistant. But those people usually dont pay for anything.

Requirement-based, like needing to be open source, or delete thread due to potential harm would be a start for giving less power to some of the crap coins. I know there's other forums, but not nearly as influential - google rank, posts, visits, new coin releases.

There's got to be other ideas to stop the devaluing of good coins. People don't seem to get that following pump and dumps can harm the economics of their other coins.
PeeJWeeJ

Activity: 49
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 16, 2013, 04:28:41 PM

The whole point of a forum is for people to be able to share ideas and make them better. I'm not sure how they would somehow control such an announcement, but chances are it would be more trouble than it's worth

The best way to stop stupid coin launches is for people to stop mining them. If it's a dumb coin, don't reply to the thread and don't mine it. We just need to not be stupid and those coins will simply go away.
RodeoX
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1145

The revolution will be monetized!

View Profile
May 16, 2013, 04:31:59 PM

Can't you just ignore them? They are mostly silly projects that I would never use. But I find it hard to say that my monopoly money is better than yours.

The gospel according to Satoshi - https://bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
Free bitcoin in ? - Stay tuned for this years Bitcoin hunt!
Ion77

Activity: 56

View Profile
May 16, 2013, 05:08:48 PM

Please delete lolitacoin!
And ban the creator of it!
wmikrut

Activity: 631
Merit: 501

View Profile WWW
May 16, 2013, 05:10:33 PM

Someone is already trying with this site:
http://altcoinforum.com/

I will NEVER ask for any kind of funds up front in a buy/sale of anything on bitcointalk.

BM-2cTFihJKmSwusMAoYuUHPvpx56Jozv64KK
saudibull

Activity: 28

View Profile
May 16, 2013, 05:10:47 PM

Hey, this is the ALT. Currency Thread - Go post this in the Bitcoin thread  lol Idiot
deadweasel

Activity: 364
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 16, 2013, 05:12:35 PM

Someone is already trying with this site:
http://altcoinforum.com/

+1

Please take your altcoins over there.  This is bitcointalk.org, not altcointalk.org. 

coinerd

Activity: 196

View Profile
May 16, 2013, 05:14:09 PM

Hey, this is the ALT. Currency Thread - Go post this in the Bitcoin thread  lol Idiot

+1

Please delete lolitacoin!
And ban the creator of it!

Wow I'm not even into loli but you're pissing me off.

What else shall we delete off your internet?
jlspartz (OP)

View Profile
May 16, 2013, 05:21:26 PM

Can't you just ignore them? They are mostly silly projects that I would never use. But I find it hard to say that my monopoly money is better than yours.

LOL, I can picture this:
"But my monopoly money has a crown on it."
"But I'm only printing 1 of mine."
"But mine is not money, it's a BAR!"

Well, I guess the community will just have to learn, and the value of alts drop before real rallying behind good ones occur.
wmikrut

Activity: 631
Merit: 501

View Profile WWW
May 16, 2013, 05:31:06 PM

LOL, I can picture this:
"But my monopoly money has a crown on it."
"But I'm only printing 1 of mine."
"But mine is not money, it's a BAR!"

Well, I guess the community will just have to learn, and the value of alts drop before real rallying behind good ones occur.
You forgot gems  Grin

I will NEVER ask for any kind of funds up front in a buy/sale of anything on bitcointalk.

BM-2cTFihJKmSwusMAoYuUHPvpx56Jozv64KK
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: