Bitcoin Forum
May 21, 2024, 03:58:03 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN] Snip - The Future of News on the Blockchain  (Read 49735 times)
Darwin84

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 09, 2017, 01:02:03 AM

I hope I answered the question.
Ran

This is the worst way I can think of to fight fake news. You should rebrand before you launch and just call it steem news flaggers.

People at home on their computers with or without coin are not capable to determine what is real or fake or accurate or not. Its an idea that can't posses any accuracy. Actually looking at the comments of some people here they can't even determine the day or the week. Why would you give someone voting power over what they have no clue about.

If you want to fight fake news, join a trusted platform with a proven track record.  

https://www.corbettreport.com/
ranreichman (OP)

Activity: 140

Snip CEO

View Profile WWW
August 09, 2017, 01:17:34 AM

I hope I answered the question.
Ran

This is the worst way I can think of to fight fake news. You should rebrand before you launch and just call it steem news flaggers.

People at home on their computers with or without coin are not capable to determine what is real or fake or accurate or not. Its an idea that can't posses any accuracy. Actually looking at the comments of some people here they can't even determine the day or the week. Why would you give someone voting power over what they have no clue about.

If you want to fight fake news, join a trusted platform with a proven track record.  

https://www.corbettreport.com/

If someone isn't reliable in flagging fake news (flags real stuff, doesn't flag fake stuff) then his/her opinion won't be considered. Once you operate at a large scale you don't need most of the people to understand what's fake and what isn't, you only need 0.1% or 0.01%. And if we can't even find that, then we'll apply the second point - relying on prominent pundits that you trust to decide what's fake and what isn't. That's seems similar to what you wrote about a trusted platform.

Darwin84

View Profile
August 09, 2017, 02:01:00 AM

Your description sounds like fake news CNN.

Ultimately people are deciding the validity of news by pressing a button and I think that's not very accurate.

cakravothy

Activity: 868
Merit: 501

Chainjoes.com

View Profile WWW
August 09, 2017, 02:14:28 AM

How much total suply coin dev ?
when plan open ico selling
not open bounty, i want reserve indonesian languange if you need

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
CHAIN JOES
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
|
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
📝
ranreichman (OP)

Snip CEO

View Profile WWW
August 09, 2017, 02:15:51 AM

Your description sounds like fake news CNN.

Ultimately people are deciding the validity of news by pressing a button and I think that's not very accurate.

The problem with CNN and many other outlets is that their incentives are broken. As Naval Ravikant said quite insightfully: The Internet commoditized the distribution of facts. The "news" media responded by pivoting wholesale into opinions and entertainment.

We're going to be focused on providing the facts in the most clear and convenient way. It's difficult to do that without censoring people but we believe it's possible. For instance, if you trust Fox News as a news source then it's very unlikely that Snip will seem like CNN for you. Other people who trust CNN will see a very different news site than yours.

I think you'll be pleasantly surprised to see the quality of the content when the platform is open for all writers. You can check out the current version at https://snip.today.

ranreichman (OP)

Snip CEO

View Profile WWW
August 09, 2017, 02:17:56 AM

How much total suply coin dev ?
when plan open ico selling
not open bounty, i want reserve indonesian languange if you need
The token sale will begin in mid-September, we'll provide more details on the bounty in a few days.

satoshforever

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 09, 2017, 05:16:32 AM
Last edit: August 09, 2017, 09:56:57 PM by satoshforever

Ok I'm less concerned about the fake news part but how is Snip going to know what I like? All of the "personalized" news apps I tried sucked
ranreichman (OP)

Snip CEO

View Profile WWW
August 09, 2017, 05:48:30 AM

I'm less concerned about the fake news part but how is Snip going to know what I like? All of the "personalized" news apps I tried sucked
This is actually one of Snip's greatest advantages. The current personalized news apps usually include long stories and then the personalization only works if you read a ton and give precise feedback. The ones with short content tend to be low-quality. On Snip you get brief, high-quality stories, similar to what a knowledgable friend would tell you when you ask "What's the deal with ...?". Once a story is 2 paragraphs instead of 20, you can read much more, vote on them, and then Snip gets to know you well very quickly. You can see how it works on https://snip.today

Darwin84

View Profile
August 09, 2017, 02:34:44 PM

The problem with CNN and many other outlets is that their incentives are broken. As Naval Ravikant said quite insightfully: The Internet commoditized the distribution of facts. The "news" media responded by pivoting wholesale into opinions and entertainment.

We're going to be focused on providing the facts in the most clear and convenient way. It's difficult to do that without censoring people but we believe it's possible. For instance, if you trust Fox News as a news source then it's very unlikely that Snip will seem like CNN for you. Other people who trust CNN will see a very different news site than yours.

I think you'll be pleasantly surprised to see the quality of the content when the platform is open for all writers. You can check out the current version at https://snip.today.

Fake new right there.

CNN was making fake news long before the internet so your theory doesn't quite fit.

ranreichman (OP)

Snip CEO

View Profile WWW
August 09, 2017, 03:19:54 PM
Last edit: August 09, 2017, 04:01:05 PM by ranreichman

Fake new right there.

CNN was making fake news long before the internet so your theory doesn't quite fit.

I think that everyone agrees that there are more fake news since the Internet and social networks became ubiquitous. Do you disagree?

ranih

Activity: 168

Snip - The Future of News on the Blockchain

View Profile WWW
August 09, 2017, 06:37:23 PM

Hey everyone,

This Thursday (August 10) Ran is giving a talk at the SF BlockChain Meetup. He'll be talking about the media industry and how blockchain and Snip are disrupting it.
You're welcome to join us if you're in San Francisco, or watch the video.

https://www.meetup.com/San-Francisco-BlockChain-collective/events/241942406/

homnix

Activity: 44
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 09, 2017, 08:28:48 PM

Join the project, I have high hopes for it!
satoshforever

View Profile
August 09, 2017, 08:39:13 PM

I'm less concerned about the fake news part but how is Snip going to know what I like? All of the "personalized" news apps I tried sucked
This is actually one of Snip's greatest advantages. The current personalized news apps usually include long stories and then the personalization only works if you read a ton and give precise feedback. The ones with short content tend to be low-quality. On Snip you get brief, high-quality stories, similar to what a knowledgable friend would tell you when you ask "What's the deal with ...?". Once a story is 2 paragraphs instead of 20, you can read much more, vote on them, and then Snip gets to know you well very quickly. You can see how it works on https://snip.today
snip.today only has like three articles a day, how can that be personalized?
ranreichman (OP)

Snip CEO

View Profile WWW
August 09, 2017, 09:59:52 PM

snip.today only has like three articles a day, how can that be personalized?
Currently we're publishing approximately 2 articles a day, on various topics. A basic personalization algorithm finds out which topics you prefer and shows you the best stories from all articles. It's true that today you could probably read all of the stories, and many actually do that. In the future it'll be hundreds/thousands of articles a day and then the personalization becomes much more important.

satoshforever

View Profile
August 12, 2017, 01:58:29 AM

Thousands of articles a day? On what??!
ranreichman (OP)

Snip CEO

View Profile WWW
August 12, 2017, 02:06:04 AM

Thousands of articles a day? On what??!
It's surprising but news has a pretty long tail. Once you consider world news, local news, professional fields, etc, thousand of stories a day actually makes sense. Of course, it'll take a bit to reach that number. We expect to start with dozens of articles a day on the most popular topics.

Mazt rhiezt

Activity: 462
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 12, 2017, 02:15:10 AM

I did not find anything here, the number of tokens and the hidden developer team.
The concept is quite interesting but unfortunately too much news is much newer and more accurate.

██
▐█▄             ▄█▀
███    ▄██▄    ▄█▀ ██                          ██
███   ▄████   ▄█▀ ▄▄  ▄▄▄ ▄▄▄   ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄       ▄▄▄   ▄▄▄
███  ▄█▀███  ▄█▀ ██▌ ▄██▀▄▀██▌ █▀  ▄█▀       ▄██▌ ▄██▀ ▀▄
███ ▄█▀▐███ ██▀ ██▌ ▐███▀ ▄█▀    ▄█▀        ▄██▌ ▄██   ▄▀
▐██▄█▀  █████▀ ▐██  ███  ▐██   ▄█▀          ██▀  ██▌  ▄▀
 ▀██▀   ▀██▀    ▀█  ▀█   ▀█  ▄██▄▄▄▄▄▀▀  ██ ▀█    ▀███▀

Every BTCit of Fun
███████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
███████████████████████
▀▀█████████████████▀▀
▀▀▀███████▀▀▀

▄▄▄███████▄▄▄
▄▄█████████████████▄▄
▄███████████████████████▄
██████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████

▄▄▄▄▄▄
▄▀████████▀▄
██▄▀██████▀▄██
▐███▌▐████▌▐███▌
██▀▄██████▄▀██
▀▄████████▄▀
▀▀▀▀▀▀

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
         ▄█████████████████
        ███████████████████
       ██████████████████▀
      █████▀▀
     ████▀
    ████▀
   ████▀
  ████▀
 ████▀
████▀
████████░████████
▐███████▄░▄███████▌
▐███████▄░▄███████▌
▐███████▄░▄███████▌
███████▄░▄███████
███████████████

▀███████▀
▀▀▀▀
██████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██

██

██

██

██

██████
   BET NOW   
██████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██

██

██

██

██

██████
esprit577

Activity: 541
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 12, 2017, 03:03:40 AM

Is this a project based on IPFS concepts?IPFS is very popular, and the news is very widespread, but some low-quality fake news is not to be expected, maybe it should set up a separation interval, or to be in the trial range.
ranreichman (OP)

Snip CEO

View Profile WWW
August 12, 2017, 04:23:47 AM

I did not find anything here, the number of tokens and the hidden developer team.
The concept is quite interesting but unfortunately too much news is much newer and more accurate.
What do you mean by hidden developer team? We're presented here in the https://snip.network website.

Today there's more real-time news but remember that the current site is just version one, before the decentralized product. We're looking at hundreds of articles a day once everything is open. If we saw inaccuracies we'd love to fix, generally the feedback from users on accuracy has been very good.

ranreichman (OP)

Snip CEO

View Profile WWW
August 12, 2017, 04:28:49 AM

Is this a project based on IPFS concepts?IPFS is very popular, and the news is very widespread, but some low-quality fake news is not to be expected, maybe it should set up a separation interval, or to be in the trial range.
We're making all of the content available on IPFS, though that by itself doesn't fix fake news. To make sure the content is reliable we have to create the right incentives and apply (open-source) algorithms which show users the best, high-quality content.

Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 »
  Print  

Jump to: