Bitcoin Forum
May 09, 2024, 05:10:41 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: The Bitcoin Black Hole  (Read 7150 times)
joan

Activity: 56
Merit: 1

View Profile
June 23, 2011, 08:06:15 PM

Here are some other black holes:
1111111111111111111114oLvT2
11111111111111111111BZbvjr

(Check the public key hash160)

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Once a transaction has 6 confirmations, it is extremely unlikely that an attacker without at least 50% of the network's computation power would be able to reverse it.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
dserrano5
Legendary

Activity: 1974
Merit: 1029

View Profile
June 23, 2011, 09:51:30 PM

donate to givewell if you really don't want some money.

Sending money into the void is giving it to all other bitcoin owners.

There are people with more important needs.
westkybitcoins (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1004

Firstbits: Compromised. Thanks, Android!

View Profile
June 24, 2011, 12:46:59 AM

why the edit to the thread title?

I figure everyone's seen the thread by now and knows it's not trolling.

Bitcoin is the ultimate freedom test. It tells you who is giving lip service and who genuinely believes in it.
In the future, books that summarize the history of money will have a line that says, “and then came bitcoin.” It is the economic singularity. And we are living in it now. - Ryan Dickherber
ATTENTION BFL MINING NEWBS: Just got your Jalapenos in? Wondering how to get the most value for the least hassle? Give BitMinter a try! It's a smaller pool with a fair & low-fee payment method, lots of statistical feedback, and it's easier than EasyMiner! (Yes, we want your hashing power, but seriously, it IS the easiest pool to use! Sign up in seconds to try it!)
The idea that deflation causes hoarding (to any problematic degree) is a lie used to justify theft of value from your savings.
westkybitcoins (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
June 24, 2011, 12:54:01 AM

After reading about the effort put into making "vanity" addresses, I didn't think hand-crafting a viable address would be so easy.

These are really two different problems.
Problem #1, create a valid address that has a certain set of characters in it (i.e. to throw away money)
Problem #2, create a valid address that has a certain set of characters in it, that I know the private key to. (i.e. vanity addresses)

In problem #1, simply start with the characters that you are trying to create a valid address with. Get the right checksum at the end, and you're all set.

In problem #2, you have to create a valid key pair, and check to see if it has your desired string in it.  A much more difficult problem!

Ah, a mistake on my part; for some reason I thought the vanity addresses didn't include private keys.

Bitcoin is the ultimate freedom test. It tells you who is giving lip service and who genuinely believes in it.
In the future, books that summarize the history of money will have a line that says, “and then came bitcoin.” It is the economic singularity. And we are living in it now. - Ryan Dickherber
ATTENTION BFL MINING NEWBS: Just got your Jalapenos in? Wondering how to get the most value for the least hassle? Give BitMinter a try! It's a smaller pool with a fair & low-fee payment method, lots of statistical feedback, and it's easier than EasyMiner! (Yes, we want your hashing power, but seriously, it IS the easiest pool to use! Sign up in seconds to try it!)
The idea that deflation causes hoarding (to any problematic degree) is a lie used to justify theft of value from your savings.
westkybitcoins (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
June 24, 2011, 12:57:56 AM

Which makes the idea of punishing someone for returning taxpayer money directly to taxpayers, rather than just "burning", it even less sensible.

dserrano5
Legendary

View Profile
June 24, 2011, 01:02:48 AM

Which makes the idea of punishing someone for returning taxpayer money directly to taxpayers, rather than just "burning", it even less sensible.

I don't follow "punishing someone".
westkybitcoins (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
June 24, 2011, 02:25:19 AM

I don't follow "punishing someone".

My second post in this thread describes someone who had that happen to them. I thought of a bitcoin black hole as a way for her to accomplish her goal without being thrown in jail.

dserrano5
Legendary

View Profile
June 24, 2011, 02:28:16 AM

Thanks for the clarification.
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: