Bitcoin Forum
March 19, 2024, 08:24:20 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: 2013-12-19 - Charles Stross - "Why I want Bitcoin to die in a fire"  (Read 8147 times)
TraderTimm (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2408
Merit: 1121

View Profile
December 19, 2013, 03:49:58 PM

Reference Link: http://www.antipope.org/charlie/blog-static/2013/12/why-i-want-bitcoin-to-die-in-a.html

Above-the-fold Excerpt:

Bitcoin just crashed 50% today, on news that the Chinese government has banned local exchanges from accepting deposits in Yuan. BtC was trading over $1000 yesterday; now it's down to $500 and still falling.

Good.

I want Bitcoin to die in a fire: this is a start, but it's not sufficient. Let me give you a round-up below the cut.

--------

My response to his rant:

How utterly depressing.

Your leading title - "Why I want Bitcoin to die in a fire" is so completely at odds with what I thought you were about, that I'm having a bit of cognitive dissonance parsing it.

It would be as if Isaac Asimov said "Robots - seriously, screw those buckets of junk, I just wrote about it for the checks."

You open with admitting the current financial system is crap, but apparently not crappy enough to replace, as Bitcoin isn't "IT".

In light of the massive fraud that we've seen globally, from the 2008 mortgage securitization fraud, LIBOR rigging scandal, HSBC Drug Money laundering and the continued Eurozone implosion courtesy of the Eurodollar and everyone hooking together the worst parts of their respective economies into a debt-chain of nightmare proportions, it seems that preserving the current system is one of the last things we should be considering.

And yet, when faced with the potential of complete freedom, the solution apparently is for Bitcoin to "die in a fire". Lightning has struck outside of our financial cave, and we're not rushing to the smouldering tree to nurture this spark, we're instead fleeing back into the damp cold depths, somehow reassuring ourselves that once you can feel the cave walls, you don't need light at all.

I find this particular view shockingly regressive. You, an author that I admire and have many times re-read your stories on taking technologies to the limit - "Accelerando" in particular comes to mind - and yet the very words out of your mouth regarding Bitcoin are riddled with fear and hostility.

Perhaps it was always part of your internal agenda, when I read this from "Accelerando":

"The last great transglobal trade empire, run from the arcologies of Hong Kong, has collapsed along with capitalism, rendered obsolete by a bunch of superior deterministic resource allocation algorithms collectively known as Economics 2.0."

I initially took this to mean that you recognized progress comes at a cost, but ultimately it is what enables us collectively to advance and improve our situation. Now, in light of your post about Bitcoin, I see this as fear of such an advance telegraphed four years before Bitcoin even existed.

As others will no doubt shine bright lights into the dark crevices of misunderstandings you have about Bitcoin, I'm just simply here to express my utter disbelief that someone as visionary as yourself can't see the benefits of a system that allows financial freedom.

You touch upon the fearful subjects of "Carbon Footprint" (Ignoring advances in lowered power consumption of the same.), "Bitcoin Malware" (Every ecosystem has predators and prey, surely), "Violates Gresham's Law" (Apparently we can steal electricity rather than pay? Funny how the utilities still operate then.) "Bitcoin's Lack of Regulation" (Like they've done such a stellar job with the regular system - please.)

And then, finally - "Bitcoin is designed for tax evasion" argument. Oh my. I suppose everyone is a crook and nobody would want to support their communities? Is this really the kind of thought process I'm supposed to believe you have? As for the "Gini Coefficient" you linked to, you do realize that distribution was on a singular exchange that ran with the money not long after, right? I'd say those funds have already been redistributed.

There's more, but honestly it all sounds like you're throwing your weight behind is the legacy financial system, warts and all, and somehow its better than having the ability to spend your money on what you want, or being able to shift your wealth around the globe without artificial barriers or constraints.

Perhaps I should ask about your stance on ebooks and Digital Rights Management, because it seems they're rather similar. Granted, "Accelerando" was released using a Creative Commons license, but what about the rest? Are you in favor of restrictive policies regarding data? Is every "regulation" in your view fair and just?

Am I to conclude that all of those flights of fancy that you've eloquently penned over the years really spring from the restricted and fearful psyche of someone who prefers flawed "protection" instead of actual freedom?

Please say it isn't so.

I'm not here to change your mind, because it seems you're quite firmly set on the issue, I'm just here to express my complete and utter shock that a visionary would rather hide in the back of his cave, feeling the walls for comfort, in the utter darkness.

fortitudinem multis - catenum regit omnia

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"I'm sure that in 20 years there will either be very large transaction volume or no volume." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Piper67
Legendary

Activity: 1106
Merit: 1001

View Profile
December 19, 2013, 04:00:37 PM

Fortunately, Bitcoin doesn't give a rat's ass... the blockchain keeps plodding along  Grin
GenTarkin
Legendary

Activity: 2450
Merit: 1002

View Profile
December 19, 2013, 04:03:35 PM

The Bitcoin Abides!

GenTarkin's MOD Kncminer Titan custom firmware! v1.0.4! -- !!NO LONGER AVAILABLE!!
Donations: bitcoin- 1Px71mWNQNKW19xuARqrmnbcem1dXqJ3At || litecoin- LYXrLis3ik6TRn8tdvzAyJ264DRvwYVeEw
Gabi
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1008

If you want to walk on water, get out of the boat

View Profile
December 19, 2013, 04:05:20 PM

Bitcoin don't give a shit.

techstorm2

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 19, 2013, 04:29:29 PM

Bitcoin says, "talk to the hand!" see you in 2014 lol  Grin Grin

Dime 7Q3cZtyJemmE8pJsrYgX24mHnkqZX6M6hP
BTC 18vbvovBeM5ZTZqR5ZWAy75EXE7qTNipuo
Mooncoin 2QgyivUMa7Zun6oPdxeE1yry1aNp5hqrDb
LTC Lg3UYGCAe3Tb146PiMqeGNLR7bnjdM447d
Doge DPd1XejW8TabJu5gfjyKnuQYQ9Vzw1anXN
thesouljourner

Activity: 30
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 19, 2013, 04:38:05 PM

https://i.imgur.com/sdkGGGX.png
elasticband
Legendary

Activity: 1036
Merit: 1000

Nighty Night Don't Let The Trolls Bite Nom Nom Nom

View Profile
December 19, 2013, 04:43:07 PM

Bitcoin can't die in a fire, he lost me and his credability with his stupid title.

"Why I want bitcoin to crash to $0.00000000000 so i can point and laugh and all the people investing their time and money!! would have been more accurate
cypherdoc
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1002

View Profile
December 19, 2013, 05:06:03 PM

well said, TT!
cbeast
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1006

Let's talk governance, lipstick, and pigs.

View Profile
December 19, 2013, 05:20:15 PM

The first sign of a tsunami is all the water pulling away.

Any significantly advanced cryptocurrency is indistinguishable from Ponzi Tulips.
TraderTimm (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
December 19, 2013, 05:23:04 PM

I'm still saddened and shocked about this. He really was the last person I expected to put out a missive against Bitcoin. I'll still enjoy his stories I guess, just not so sure I'll be too interested in reading any of his newest work. If the last thing I read is "Neptune's Brood", well, so be it.

RodeoX
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1145

The revolution will be monetized!

View Profile
December 19, 2013, 05:25:18 PM

Let me guess, the author panic sold the coins he bought for $1200.  Cheesy

The gospel according to Satoshi - https://bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
Free bitcoin in ? - Stay tuned for this years Bitcoin hunt!
Dafar
Legendary

Activity: 1330
Merit: 1000

dafar consulting

View Profile
December 19, 2013, 05:28:26 PM

I want Charles Stross to die in a fire... not even kidding

███████████
███████████████
█████████████████████
█████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████████████
███████████████░████░░███████████████████
██████████████░░█░░█░█░░█░░██████████████
██████████████░░█░░█░█░░█░███████████████
█████████████████████████████████████████
███████████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀████████████
██████████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
█████████████████████
███████████████
██████████
|
|
|
EvilPanda

Activity: 658
Merit: 500

Small Red and Bad

View Profile
December 19, 2013, 05:53:49 PM

Who is this guy anyway and why should we care what he thinks? There's a lot of haters out there who want to play prophets of doom to later brag how they were right.

Melbustus
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1003

View Profile
December 19, 2013, 05:55:51 PM

Who is he and why do we care? I skimmed to the point where it said "for starters, BtC is deflationary..." which is about when I lose my mind, so I stopped.

Bitcoin is the first monetary system to credibly offer perfect information to all economic participants.
TraderTimm (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
December 19, 2013, 05:58:29 PM

Who is this guy anyway and why should we care what he thinks? There's a lot of haters out there who want to play prophets of doom to later brag how they were right.

He's won Hugo and Nebula awards for his science fiction writing. Here's his wiki page - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_Stross
I personally like his stuff, "The Atrocity Archives" are pretty fun, and "Accelerando" was a complete mind-blowing romp as well. Just the last person I expected to look at Bitcoin and say "Nah, I hope it dies."

Ozymandias

Activity: 644
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 19, 2013, 05:59:39 PM

He's adorable
luqash3

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 19, 2013, 06:07:01 PM

Trader Timm you wish to see bitcoin crash? Well in that case we are both friend who are waiting for the collapsing of so called digital currency named “Bitcoin”. I can sense the storm nearby which will eventually destroy the bitcoin soon as bitcoin has already felt below the resistance of $1000 and now it’s time to fall further
EvilPanda

Activity: 658
Merit: 500

Small Red and Bad

View Profile
December 19, 2013, 06:24:17 PM

He's won Hugo and Nebula awards for his science fiction writing. Here's his wiki page - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_Stross
I personally like his stuff, "The Atrocity Archives" are pretty fun, and "Accelerando" was a complete mind-blowing romp as well. Just the last person I expected to look at Bitcoin and say "Nah, I hope it dies."
Who would've thought... science fiction fans usually like all kinds of tech and innovation.

Trader Timm you wish to see bitcoin crash? Well in that case we are both friend who are waiting for the collapsing of so called digital currency named “Bitcoin”. I can sense the storm nearby which will eventually destroy the bitcoin soon as bitcoin has already felt below the resistance of $1000 and now it’s time to fall further
Where did he write that he want's it to crash? If you do then don't waste your time here, do something constructive instead.

cbeast
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1736

Let's talk governance, lipstick, and pigs.

View Profile
December 19, 2013, 07:44:19 PM

Anytime Bitcoin is in a fire, it just pisses on it until it goes out.

Any significantly advanced cryptocurrency is indistinguishable from Ponzi Tulips.
justusranvier
Legendary

Activity: 1400

View Profile
December 19, 2013, 07:46:20 PM

and the "if this goes on" linear extrapolations imply that BtC will badly damage stable governance, not to mention redistributive taxation systems and social security/pension nets if its value continues to soar (as it seems designed to do due to its deflationary properties).
This article is just the whining of yet another kleptomaniac who hates the idea of people being able to hold on to their own money.

Bitcoin is the ultimate freedom test. It tells you who is giving lip service and who genuinely believes in it.
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: