Bitcoin Forum
June 27, 2024, 01:40:11 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: paperwallet>bitcore unencr nopass, can i see keys in leafpad?  (Read 320 times)
robertbruce (OP)

Activity: 61
Merit: 10

AWorldWideWebOfReasons AWorldWideWebOfResults

View Profile
August 09, 2017, 03:41:58 AM

heya ta for reading... i did google this stuff but yearh, not enough discretion in the term to find anything likely...

Im just getting used to bitcore.
First task, add or import paper-wallet,
Second Task, Export bitcore wallet back to the same paper-wallet. Using the same address should be ok for these two tasks

In the above tasks I am just trying to see BC outputs in it's output files, ie...i havnt encrypted it or password it yet. (but will have by the time you read this post Cool...

A? With bitcore wallet encrypted and with no password, should I be able to see the private keys in wallet.dat or in recievingaddressexport.csv?
If so why arn't I? (lol, yer right, it's just me on the whole big internet)
How do I then delete all data in BC to make it fresh...

B? Also, i mistakenly overwrote the first wallet.dat file with one of my public-address's in it but i had not imported a private key into it.
Does doing that that have any implication for use with other wallets?

I will now Encrypt and Passphrase bitcore...
Task Three, import paper-wallet, send to bitcore wallet address, then send to new paperwallet. Then export as back-ups only. My coin is on paper now so it's out bitcore.

A World Wide Web Of Reasons
A World Wide Web Of Results
achow101
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 3430
Merit: 6720

Just writing some code

View Profile WWW
August 09, 2017, 06:36:13 AM

Are you using bitcore or Bitcoin Core? If the latter, please do not refer to it as bitcore as Bitcore is an entirely separate software that is based on Bitcoin Core.

Take the decrypted private key from your paper wallet. Import it using
Code:
importprivkey <private key>

Second Task, Export bitcore wallet back to the same paper-wallet. Using the same address should be ok for these two tasks
That's not how Bitcoin or paper wallet work. You don't export Bitcoin and addresses are mapped to private keys (of which a paper wallet is just one private key) so you can't possible get a different address. You are importing private keys, not sending Bitcoin anywhere.

A? With bitcore wallet encrypted and with no password, should I be able to see the private keys in wallet.dat
Yes, the wallet.dat contains all of your private keys. They are not in a human readable format as that would be pointless.

or in recievingaddressexport.csv?
You should not see any private keys in that at all whatsoever.

Go to the Bitcoin Core data directory and delete all of the files in there. If you delete your wallet.dat file, you will be deleting your private keys and they are not recoverable unless you have a backup.

B? Also, i mistakenly overwrote the first wallet.dat file with one of my public-address's in it but i had not imported a private key into it.
The wallet.dat contains the private key for that address, unless you had imported just the address. You don't need to import private keys for everything, Bitcoin Core will generate private keys and their corresponding addresses for you.

robertbruce (OP)

Activity: 61
Merit: 10

AWorldWideWebOfReasons AWorldWideWebOfResults

View Profile
August 09, 2017, 08:19:05 AM

Are you using bitcore or Bitcoin Core? If the latter, please do not refer to it as bitcore as Bitcore is an entirely separate software that is based on Bitcoin Core.

Take the decrypted private key from your paper wallet. Import it using
Code:
importprivkey <private key>

That's not how Bitcoin or paper wallet work. You don't export Bitcoin and addresses are mapped to private keys (of which a paper wallet is just one private key) so you can't possible get a different address. You are importing private keys, not sending Bitcoin anywhere.

A? With bitcore wallet encrypted and with no password, should I be able to see the private keys in wallet.dat
Yes, the wallet.dat contains all of your private keys. They are not in a human readable format as that would be pointless.

or in recievingaddressexport.csv?
You should not see any private keys in that at all whatsoever.

Go to the Bitcoin Core data directory and delete all of the files in there. If you delete your wallet.dat file, you will be deleting your private keys and they are not recoverable unless you have a backup.

The wallet.dat contains the private key for that address, unless you had imported just the address. You don't need to import private keys for everything, Bitcoin Core will generate private keys and their corresponding addresses for you.

im using bitcoin-qt, the one with the humongous download...Cool...

Im surprised importing a key is done in a command line, rather than paste box but ive prolly got to much to learn...maybe c&p-ing in the rpc panel doesnt make it to the pastee buffer, anyway... if it was gui imagine all the buttons

Sorry about using the "import" and "ecport" words incorrectly, i can see how they would really confuse a help... i really meant send... Im going to import my old paper-wallet key into bc, wait for it to update and i can see stuff, then im going to send the amount to a new paper-wallet i have previously made...many thanks for your help...

A World Wide Web Of Reasons
A World Wide Web Of Results
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: