Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 07:50:57 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: [SCAM ALERT] Free BTC Ripple Giveaway by TradeFortress  (Read 4731 times)
themusicgod1

Activity: 252
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 17, 2013, 04:40:29 AM

Why am I getting messages in my inbox saying my posts critical of this experiment are being deleted by you?

If it's a social experiment, then wouldn't you have the incentive to make it seem fairly conducted (ie those critical to the experiment would have their voices aired, and their objections explained)

This is the point of the social experiment.

But it has been a good demonstration by TradeFortress. Having that useless 1 BTC in my own Ripple wallet balance that I can't spend is far more convincing than a post containing an image of someone else's wallet.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Be very wary of relying on JavaScript for security on crypto sites. The site can change the JavaScript at any time unless you take unusual precautions, and browsers are not generally known for their airtight security.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
themusicgod1

View Profile
May 17, 2013, 04:44:04 AM

I think he proves a very big bug in the entire ripple system.

If anyone can make those imaginary BTC or any other currency in the ripple system, and he sends that fake currency to alot of persons..

User 1, Fake bitcoin owner try to buy something paying with bitcoins in ripple, starts a topic or something, and send the fake BTC first.
User 2, receives the fake BTC and send the item who was selling (LTC, ripples, USD,etc) then he realizes that he cant trade his BTC anywhere, because its fake and get scammed.

This is not a bug.  Users can trade this BTC to exactly the users who trusted TF who have not yet removed their credit limits to him.  This is by design.  TF might have just allowed 30-100 btc newbies to conduct real trade with eachother who might not have had any BTC to their name, based on TF's trust alone.

Now that seems to be a long shot, but that's the kind of long shot that Ripple at least makes possible.
themusicgod1

View Profile
May 17, 2013, 04:47:54 AM

TradeFortress is doing everyone a favor, showing how you can be ripped off or stiffed in an easy way. This could be a loop hole to allow Ripple to take your money and keep it and label it fraud.

TradeFortress is a reputable member of the forum for what seems to a long time, he puts more into Crypto than most. Im sure he has no need to take your money or SCAM you.

I would trust TradeFortress, with my wallet and kids.

"Ripple" is a protocol not an entity.  "Ripple" is not going to take your money any more than "Bitcoin" will.

Also I love the logic here -- TF is proving that he is a reputable person who would never scam you by scamming 30 people.  Isn't that what you're saying here? 

I mean, personally I don't think what he's doing is a scam, but isn't that the argument you're making here?
themusicgod1

View Profile
May 17, 2013, 04:55:04 AM

How ever you word it, that's what Bitcoin was made to avoid. Control.

Ripple is about taking the control that central banks have over the money supply and giving it to everyone.

This is not unlike Bitcoin
BlackLilac Grant

Activity: 72
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 17, 2013, 05:11:15 AM

TradeFortress is doing everyone a favor, showing how you can be ripped off or stiffed in an easy way. This could be a loop hole to allow Ripple to take your money and keep it and label it fraud.

TradeFortress is a reputable member of the forum for what seems to a long time, he puts more into Crypto than most. Im sure he has no need to take your money or SCAM you.

"Ripple" is a protocol not an entity.  "Ripple" is not going to take your money any more than "Bitcoin" will.

Nonsense. Ripple is controlled in full by one company, who can do whatever they want with any funds in the system.
i3lome

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 17, 2013, 05:16:13 AM

How ever you word it, that's what Bitcoin was made to avoid. Control.

Ripple is about taking the control that central banks have over the money supply and giving it to everyone.

This is not unlike Bitcoin

One company is not everyone, they have control over supply and demand of XRP. Which gives them control over the price. Bitcoin lets everyone Mine, and people determine the value of it.

You just described Bitcoin
themusicgod1

View Profile
May 17, 2013, 05:16:43 AM

Nonsense. Ripple is controlled in full by one company, who can do whatever they want with any funds in the system.

This is only true until they actually release their server -- at which point they will be just another network participant abiding by the rules which they are clearly laying out on the wiki ( https://ripple.com/wiki/Main_Page ).

For the time being, you probably shouldn't use the system as it's in development -- use the pre-existing versions such as http://www.villages.cc instead.
themusicgod1

View Profile
May 17, 2013, 05:20:44 AM

One company is not everyone, they have control over supply and demand of XRP. Which gives them control over the price. Bitcoin lets everyone Mine, and people determine the value of it.

You just described Bitcoin

First of all, let's get one thing clear here.  XRP is not Ripple.  XRP is an anti-spam mechanism that just happens to be a special purpose currency..  The fact that they call it 'ripples' is confusing, but Ripple is much more than XRP.

The price of XRP is basically a non issue.  People determine the price of XRP -- the currency that, I will remind you, is created *by* OpenCoin.  TF is not dealing in XRP.  TF is dealing in Bitcoin.
i3lome

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 17, 2013, 05:32:16 AM

Its clear, your book smart. You can read what they tell you and believe only what they tell you. Like I said it will probably work, and some people will like it.

Still doesnt change the fact it was made to make money for those who made it. A for profit Item that the company wants everyone to use so they can take money from everybodys pocket.
themusicgod1

View Profile
May 17, 2013, 05:38:52 AM

Just so you know, I predate OpenCoin's involvement with Ripple.  While their solution is, in my opinion the legitimate heir to the previous attempts, it's not a matter of believing this is a good idea because they say so.  It's a matter of believing it is a good idea because it works.

they can take money from everybodys pocket.

This is not a zero sum game.  They are not taking money from everyone's pocket -- at worst they are allocating themselves money which, up until they made it, did not exist, in a future world where it is valuable.  They are creating value, and then allocating some of that created value to themselves for the trouble of it.
bapakece

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 17, 2013, 05:41:03 AM

Yes I agreed dude, TF is reputable member, I have PM him before and his reply is nice and fast..
That's why I'm confusing about this this thread....
Because I Think, Nobody people for that excellent reputation like that
to scamm any member of this forum. That's is very stupid things.
Built reputation is hard ,...
Please ..... don't judge any people scammer with out valid proof.

Quarc

Activity: 4

View Profile
May 17, 2013, 06:56:00 AM

Thanks
JoelKatz
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1012

Democracy is vulnerable to a 51% attack.

View Profile WWW
May 17, 2013, 07:04:02 AM

If anyone can make those imaginary BTC or any other currency in the ripple system, and he sends that fake currency to alot of persons..

User 1, Fake bitcoin owner try to buy something paying with bitcoins in ripple, starts a topic or something, and send the fake BTC first.
User 2, receives the fake BTC and send the item who was selling (LTC, ripples, USD,etc) then he realizes that he cant trade his BTC anywhere, because its fake and get scammed.
Does Bitcoin have a bug because if someone convinces you to send your Bitcoin to their account, you lose them? If people aren't able to safely use powerful tools, then the world is not ready for either Ripple or Bitcoin.

I'm a pretty sophisticated user, and every time I send Bitcoins, I admit I have this moment of panic where I wonder if I've done everything exactly right because I know that if I cut/pasted the wrong account or made some other similar mistake, my money is gone. While we can do some work to make both systems safer, this really is just a question of whether people are ready for access to powerful financial tools that permit pseudonymous transactions that are irreversible or whether people are just too dumb and careless to be trusted with that kind of power and will only hurt themselves.

It's not a simple question.

I am an employee of Ripple. Follow me on Twitter @JoelKatz
1Joe1Katzci1rFcsr9HH7SLuHVnDy2aihZ BM-NBM3FRExVJSJJamV9ccgyWvQfratUHgN
kelpy

Activity: 640
Merit: 500

Archduke of Criptoaerica, vassal of WallStreetCafe

View Profile
May 17, 2013, 11:02:50 AM

Does Bitcoin have a bug because if someone convinces you to send your Bitcoin to their account, you lose them? If people aren't able to safely use powerful tools, then the world is not ready for either Ripple or Bitcoin.

I'm a pretty sophisticated user, and every time I send Bitcoins, I admit I have this moment of panic where I wonder if I've done everything exactly right because I know that if I cut/pasted the wrong account or made some other similar mistake, my money is gone. While we can do some work to make both systems safer, this really is just a question of whether people are ready for access to powerful financial tools that permit pseudonymous transactions that are irreversible or whether people are just too dumb and careless to be trusted with that kind of power and will only hurt themselves.

Precisely for this reason there is no need to launch crusades against Ripple.
Because this is not a social experiment .. is a crusade

Bitrated user: kelpy.
strinkle

Activity: 13

View Profile
May 17, 2013, 01:33:33 PM

So it's not a bug in Ripple that one's account balance can show 1 trillion BTC?
JoelKatz
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1012

Democracy is vulnerable to a 51% attack.

View Profile WWW
May 17, 2013, 01:45:17 PM

No. Garbage in, garbage out. Is it a bug in the forums that I can make them say: 2 + 2 = 5

If you tell it to consider something worthless to be worth 1 trillion BTC, then it will tell you that you have something worth 1 trillion BTC. And, worse, it will trade something worth 1 BTC to get it, causing you to lose 1 BTC. It does what you ask it to do. If you tell it do something stupid, it can hurt you.

Ripple is a trading and payment platform. You have to tell it what assets are worth because it has no way to know otherwise. There are no central authorities to set exchange rates or tell you what assets are really worth.

As I said above, "this really is just a question of whether people are ready for access to powerful financial tools that permit pseudonymous transactions that are irreversible or whether people are just too dumb and careless to be trusted with that kind of power and will only hurt themselves."

I am an employee of Ripple. Follow me on Twitter @JoelKatz
1Joe1Katzci1rFcsr9HH7SLuHVnDy2aihZ BM-NBM3FRExVJSJJamV9ccgyWvQfratUHgN
ervalvola (OP)

Activity: 669
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 17, 2013, 01:46:20 PM

No, it is the way it runs but, should you trust a user who has 1 trillion BTC in his balance?
The first thing i've learned when nearing Ripple is that trust is a delicate matter. Opencoin itself recommandes to not extend trust if you don't precisely understand what it is.

Because I Think, Nobody people for that excellent reputation like that
to scamm any member of this forum. That's is very stupid things.
Built reputation is hard ,...
Please ..... don't judge any people scammer with out valid proof.

I totally don't care of the reputation of the guy, who is clearly obsessed by Ripple. I don't even know (and i'm not interested) if his intentions are good. But he's putting ingenuous people in the conditions of loosing a lot of Bitcoin, real ones.
misterbigg
Legendary

Activity: 1064
Merit: 1001

View Profile
May 17, 2013, 02:00:52 PM

every time I send Bitcoins, I admit I have this moment of panic where I wonder if I've done everything exactly right because I know that if I cut/pasted the wrong account or made some other similar mistake, my money is gone.

You're not the only one brother.
Xuxu911

Activity: 66
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 17, 2013, 03:15:14 PM

Shocked Shocked I think

Xuxu911 reputation thread : Trust
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=214803.new#new
LTC: LMbUV14Ln3yoTcAqiA8dTfNzhx3J1ss2Y8
strinkle

Activity: 13

View Profile
May 17, 2013, 03:40:34 PM

No. Garbage in, garbage out. Is it a bug in the forums that I can make them say: 2 + 2 = 5

If you tell it to consider something worthless to be worth 1 trillion BTC, then it will tell you that you have something worth 1 trillion BTC. And, worse, it will trade something worth 1 BTC to get it, causing you to lose 1 BTC. It does what you ask it to do. If you tell it do something stupid, it can hurt you.

Ripple is a trading and payment platform. You have to tell it what assets are worth because it has no way to know otherwise. There are no central authorities to set exchange rates or tell you what assets are really worth.

As I said above, "this really is just a question of whether people are ready for access to powerful financial tools that permit pseudonymous transactions that are irreversible or whether people are just too dumb and careless to be trusted with that kind of power and will only hurt themselves."

Fair enough. I understand the principle. But I don't see "the masses" being able to use the system successfully as it stands. It will be interesting to see what scams get developed to exploit this.
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: