Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 12:56:14 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Sabatoge: "Losing" Bitcoins (AKA the Goldfinger Attack)  (Read 5942 times)
foggyb (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1006

View Profile
June 21, 2011, 08:02:12 PM
Last edit: June 21, 2011, 10:14:50 PM by foggyb

Is it possible to sabotage Bitcoin by accumulating coins (through purchase, theft, or exchange breach, etc.) and then deliberately destroy the wallet that contains the key to these coins?

Presumably these coins are henceforth lost, essentially.

You can see the statistics of your reports to moderators on the "Report to moderator" pages.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Enochian

Activity: 327
Merit: 124

View Profile
June 21, 2011, 08:14:20 PM

Is it possible to sabotage Bitcoin by accumulating coins (through purchase, theft, or exchange breach, etc.) and then deliberately destroy the wallet that contains the key to these coins?

Yes, you can permanently lose Bitcoins by losing the private keys for them, or by sending them to an address which does not correspond to a key.

When this happens, it doesn't sabotage Bitcoin, it just makes every one elses Bitcoins slightly more valuable.

grue
Legendary

Activity: 2058
Merit: 1431

View Profile
June 21, 2011, 08:16:22 PM

not practical, because bitcoins are divisible to 8 decimal places.

It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

Adblock for annoying signature ads | Enhanced Merit UI
Luke-Jr
Legendary
expert

Activity: 2576
Merit: 1186

View Profile
June 21, 2011, 08:19:40 PM

You guys assume the 2.1e15 units are sufficient. Which I personally doubt.

foggyb (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
June 21, 2011, 08:29:41 PM

How will fractional transactions be expressed if such a sabatoge took place?

Seems cumbersome to ask for 10^-8.002345 coins as payment for a product or service.
grue
Legendary

Activity: 2058
Merit: 1431

View Profile
June 21, 2011, 08:33:04 PM

well, the idea is totally absurd. it's like saying "let's buy all the gold in the world, and blast it into space!"

It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

Adblock for annoying signature ads | Enhanced Merit UI
foggyb (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
June 21, 2011, 08:35:49 PM

well, the idea is totally absurd. it's like saying "let's buy all the gold in the world, and blast it into space!"

If an exchange attacker could hijack a lot of coins at once (totally absurd, right?) this could quite conceivably happen.

Don't make it sound like its horrendously expensive to destroy the only link to the hypothetically hijacked coins.

It isn't. Its called a hard drive shredder.

Please answer my question. I sincerely want to know the answer.

TiagoTiago

Activity: 616
Merit: 500

Firstbits.com/1fg4i :)

View Profile
June 21, 2011, 08:54:12 PM

How is burning your own money an attack on the economy?

(I dont always get new reply notifications, pls send a pm when you think it has happened)

Wanna gimme some BTC/BCH for any or no reason? 1FmvtS66LFh6ycrXDwKRQTexGJw4UWiqDX Smiley

The more you believe in Bitcoin, and the more you show you do to other people, the faster the real value will soar!

Do you like mmmBananas?!
foggyb (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
June 21, 2011, 08:56:26 PM
Last edit: June 21, 2011, 11:18:28 PM by foggyb

I will be delighted if it turns out my hypothesis is incorrect.
TiagoTiago

Activity: 616
Merit: 500

Firstbits.com/1fg4i :)

View Profile
June 21, 2011, 08:59:43 PM

No nerve; i just don't think what you describe can harm Bitcoin and it's users in any way (except the part about stealing coins from people)

(I dont always get new reply notifications, pls send a pm when you think it has happened)

Wanna gimme some BTC/BCH for any or no reason? 1FmvtS66LFh6ycrXDwKRQTexGJw4UWiqDX Smiley

The more you believe in Bitcoin, and the more you show you do to other people, the faster the real value will soar!

Do you like mmmBananas?!
foggyb (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
June 21, 2011, 09:02:59 PM

Can you be more specific please?

You made the analogy to burning dollars. This is obviously a very poor analogy. We can always print more dollars unless you also destroy all the ink in the world, and all the printing presses. Not to mention the fact that only a small fraction of dollars actually exist in physical form. In fact, if I burn a billion dollars, that may theoretically impact the economy in a positive way, since commissioning the printing of a billion dollars in cash will create economic growth.

Does the answer to the hypothetical sabotage lie in creating a new blockchain, or Bitcoin 2.0?
Luke-Jr
Legendary
expert

View Profile
June 21, 2011, 09:10:46 PM

How will fractional transactions be expressed if such a sabatoge took place?

Seems cumbersome to ask for 10^-8.002345 coins as payment for a product or service.
Decimal people can use SI units: mBTC or μBTC

Ideally more people might adopt the Tonal system, in which case TBC is a fairly reasonable size.

See also: https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Units

foggyb (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
June 21, 2011, 09:16:17 PM

In other words, Bitcoin is INFINITELY divisible, therefore the loss of even 99.9% of all bitcoins is not a problem?

kjj
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1024

View Profile
June 21, 2011, 11:50:52 PM

In other words, Bitcoin is INFINITELY divisible, therefore the loss of even 99.9% of all bitcoins is not a problem?

Yes.  Should the need ever arise, we can switch to arbitrary precision representation.

Coins that are permanently lost are essentially a gift of value to the rest of the bitcoin using world.

17Np17BSrpnHCZ2pgtiMNnhjnsWJ2TMqq8
I routinely ignore posters with paid advertising in their sigs.  You should too.
Luke-Jr
Legendary
expert

View Profile
June 22, 2011, 12:05:25 AM

Bitcoins are only division down to 2.1e15 units. Changing that is no less difficult than increasing the total BTC count from 21 million to 21 billion, or making it infinite.

kjj
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1024

View Profile
June 22, 2011, 12:13:43 AM

Bitcoins are only division down to 2.1e15 units. Changing that is no less difficult than increasing the total BTC count from 21 million to 21 billion, or making it infinite.

But far more likely to be accepted by the community.

17Np17BSrpnHCZ2pgtiMNnhjnsWJ2TMqq8
I routinely ignore posters with paid advertising in their sigs.  You should too.
JoelKatz
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1012

Democracy is vulnerable to a 51% attack.

View Profile WWW
June 22, 2011, 12:31:25 AM

By losing the coins, the "attacker" would also lose whatever value he had exchanged to accumulate those coins. If he stole the coins or acquired them through other nefarious means, the attack doesn't add anything except it reduces his ability to cash out.

Theoretically, a person could acquire a large number of bitcoins and then use some kind of attack to destroy other people's bitcoins. His goal would be to increase the value of the bitcoins he didn't destroy. The logic would have to be that he couldn't steal those bitcoins as easily as he could destroy them (otherwise, stealing them gives him 100% of their value, obviously more). While he would benefit from this attack (just as he would benefit from simply stealing bitcoins) he would have to divide his gain with everyone else who holds bitcoins. So it seems like it would be so inefficient that it's not worth worrying about.

Do we worry that someone will buy all the coffee in the world and then resell it for much higher prices? This would only be even remotely worth worrying about if bitcoins were so dominant that using other currencies was impractical.

I am an employee of Ripple. Follow me on Twitter @JoelKatz
1Joe1Katzci1rFcsr9HH7SLuHVnDy2aihZ BM-NBM3FRExVJSJJamV9ccgyWvQfratUHgN
foggyb (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
June 22, 2011, 02:32:37 PM

Do we worry that someone will buy all the coffee in the world and then resell it for much higher prices? This would only be even remotely worth worrying about if bitcoins were so dominant that using other currencies was impractical.

Bitcoins don't grow on small shrubs all over the world. And yes, there are individuals who's job is to worry about monopolies in commodity markets.

The motive behind this hypothetical attack would not be one of profit anyway. Surely you understand this.
Enzo

Activity: 14
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 23, 2011, 05:03:53 PM

How is burning your own money an attack on the economy?

Here in Italy, it is a crime to burn or otherwise destroy money, even your own money.
I never have known exactly why. I suppose this law has  never been applied...
wumpus
qt

Activity: 812
Merit: 1022

No Maps for These Territories

View Profile
June 23, 2011, 05:07:11 PM

Here in Italy, it is a crime to burn or otherwise destroy money, even your own money.
I never have known exactly why. I suppose this law has  never been applied...
Same here in the Netherlands.

I know of no cases where someone was actually prosecuted for destroying money, but it's certainly not allowed, only the central bank is allowed to do that.

Bitcoin Core developer [PGP] Warning: For most, coin loss is a larger risk than coin theft. A disk can die any time. Regularly back up your wallet through FileBackup Wallet to an external storage or the (encrypted!) cloud. Use a separate offline wallet for storing larger amounts.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: