Bitcoin Forum
July 06, 2024, 11:21:17 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: How big of a threat is Siacoin for Dropbox?  (Read 732 times)
kazuya_94 (OP)

Activity: 192
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 09, 2017, 08:26:30 PM

What do you think ? Can Siacoin overthrow Dropbox and other traditional cloud storage services?
rayk

Activity: 448

View Profile WWW
August 09, 2017, 08:40:05 PM

Yes they can be a thread for dropbox not because of their technology but because of their marketing.
sylance

Activity: 392
Merit: 102

View Profile
August 09, 2017, 08:43:35 PM

Possibly.  I think SIA, Storj, and others are betting on the concept of customers okay with the fact that their data may not be available 100% of the time.  What I can say is that I'm running a Storj 'miner' on a NAS that's always on and I've yet to get anyone to use my drive.  There are probably a few reasons why but one of them is just the lack of demand.

DeepOnion    ▬▬  Anonymous and Untraceable  ▬▬    ENJOY YOUR PRIVACY  •  JOIN DEEPONION
▐▐▐▐▐▐▐▐   ANN  Whitepaper  Facebook  Twitter  Telegram  Discord    ▌▌▌▌▌▌▌▌
Get $ONION  (✔Cryptopia  ✔KuCoin)  |  VoteCentral  Register NOW!  |  Download DeepOnion
Fantum

Activity: 420
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 09, 2017, 08:51:50 PM

There is no attention to these because they are in the cryptoshere. Where as google is known by everyone, but do you trust google? Sia and storj are just better ideas than dropbox and google drive (is that still around?), more efficient, there needs to be some major advertizing campiagns, make them viral, get some celebrity endorsements. Remember sia and storj are realy new, just started like a month ago. Give it time. That sia box seems a bit expensive though.
Orrechorre

Activity: 569

View Profile
August 09, 2017, 09:52:42 PM

Yes they can be a thread for dropbox not because of their technology but because of their marketing.

I doubt if that can happen because siacoin is not the first cryptocurrency that will focus on cloud storage, we already had storj coin X that focus mainly on cloud storage that has a better marketing strategy than siacoin.

Siacoin can never be a threat to dropbox in any way.
callback

Activity: 184

View Profile
August 09, 2017, 10:01:45 PM

You'll always end up with the worst topology possible for a storage network.
It could have use cases for private clusters, but I don't see any advantages over existing storage concepts.

It would be useful for immutable logging.
matthewhammers35

Activity: 8
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 09, 2017, 10:09:12 PM

I think we will see much of the data storage get transferred to form adaption of the blockchain. We will see those, i'm sure dropbox is keeping a close eye on Siacoin.
callback

Activity: 184

View Profile
August 09, 2017, 10:14:09 PM

I think we will see much of the data storage get transferred to form adaption of the blockchain. We will see those, i'm sure dropbox is keeping a close eye on Siacoin.

It's a totally stupid idea to put a filesystem on a blockchain, for an enterprise storage network, unless you want to audit every change to it, only then it could make some sense. But then again not, because there are much better methods to achieve that.
PaidFudder

Activity: 333

View Profile
August 09, 2017, 11:08:55 PM

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: