Bitcoin Forum
May 23, 2024, 06:39:23 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: BlockRun.com - Penny auctions on the blockchain  (Read 10311 times)
KingOfSports

Activity: 602
Merit: 500

Acc bought - used solely for signature testing

View Profile
May 22, 2013, 09:33:41 PM

Got a war going on between a miner (hes all in with the rest of his address balance) vs. Rhoman. Lets see who wins  Cheesy

dipsy (OP)

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 22, 2013, 09:46:21 PM

Yeah, this is a first. We'll see what happens!
grue
Legendary

Activity: 2058
Merit: 1431

View Profile
May 22, 2013, 10:09:37 PM

Got a war going on between a miner (hes all in with the rest of his address balance) vs. Rhoman. Lets see who wins  Cheesy
the only person who's winning in this bidding war is the site owner.

It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

Adblock for annoying signature ads | Enhanced Merit UI
dipsy (OP)

View Profile
May 22, 2013, 10:24:17 PM

Actually we are still making a loss at this point; BTC2.385 doesn't cover the cost of a new Nexus:
http://blockchain.info/address/1Run2jPxSRmQqJviS3tErSPw2FpLJmnxf
http://www.blockrun.com/auctions/lg-google-nexus-4-16gb-1
grue
Legendary

View Profile
May 22, 2013, 10:37:44 PM

Actually we are still making a loss at this point; BTC2.385 doesn't cover the cost of a new Nexus:
http://blockchain.info/address/1Run2jPxSRmQqJviS3tErSPw2FpLJmnxf
two more bids should do it

KingOfSports

Activity: 602

Acc bought - used solely for signature testing

View Profile
May 22, 2013, 10:49:45 PM

Grue, I understand people might not like these sites...I am in the middle honestly. But it is in the gambling section for a reason. The house always wins in gambling and thus if he makes money so be it. As long as someone besides the owner wins, I don't see a problem with it. However I will agree there has not been any proof that the owner isn't bidding it up or winning these auctions so only time will tell to see if anyone high in trust here can vouch and prove they won an item and rec'd it with no affiliation to the owner prior.

grue
Legendary

View Profile
May 22, 2013, 10:58:49 PM

Grue, I understand people might not like these sites...I am in the middle honestly. But it is in the gambling section for a reason. The house always wins in gambling and thus if he makes money so be it. As long as someone besides the owner wins, I don't see a problem with it. However I will agree there has not been any proof that the owner isn't bidding it up or winning these auctions so only time will tell to see if anyone high in trust here can vouch and prove they won an item and rec'd it with no affiliation to the owner prior.
the problem is that penny auction sites obfuscate the house's edge and makes it really easy for the house to cheat.

dipsy (OP)

View Profile
May 23, 2013, 12:18:56 AM

Thanks KingOfSports; hopefully we can convince some winners to come back us up. I'm hoping the miner who won the last auction might consider posting once they claim and receive their prize.

the problem is that penny auction sites obfuscate the house's edge and makes it really easy for the house to cheat.

We are actually more open than typical penny auction sites. They usually encourage users to buy "credits" and then bid with those. We have all bids openly displayed in the blockchain, with no credit system providing a layer of abstraction from the price.

I would love it if we could 100% prove that we are not bidding on the auctions, but there is no way I can think of; other than creating a system where people have to sign-in with facebook and bid with credits rather than sending from any address. You could then link back to people's facebook profiles, but that would spoil the fact that anyone can currently play without publicly revealing who they are.

Since we are being honest, it would be much better for us to have some way to prove that we are. If you have any suggestions on how we can be more open or prove that we are not bidding, I am all ears!

hasher87

Activity: 686

View Profile
May 23, 2013, 03:35:06 AM

oh hey, a non-Rhodon wins an auction!

And this happened after this issue got raised up
roomservice

Activity: 199

View Profile
May 23, 2013, 08:09:37 AM

Thanks KingOfSports; hopefully we can convince some winners to come back us up. I'm hoping the miner who won the last auction might consider posting once they claim and receive their prize.

We are actually more open than typical penny auction sites. They usually encourage users to buy "credits" and then bid with those. We have all bids openly displayed in the blockchain, with no credit system providing a layer of abstraction from the price.

I would love it if we could 100% prove that we are not bidding on the auctions, but there is no way I can think of; other than creating a system where people have to sign-in with facebook and bid with credits rather than sending from any address. You could then link back to people's facebook profiles, but that would spoil the fact that anyone can currently play without publicly revealing who they are.

Since we are being honest, it would be much better for us to have some way to prove that we are. If you have any suggestions on how we can be more open or prove that we are not bidding, I am all ears!

Since bitcoin's key feature is anonymity - i guess it's quite impossible to prove that BlockRun.com ops don't bit on their own auctions.
I understand that new bitcoin services should be taken very carefully to prevent scams. This makes perfect sense to me.

At a clooser look to BlockRun.com this seems to be a serious project which is just starting to build trust.

Trust will be a key successor for this platform, so i wan't to share my thoughts and experiences:

- The website is really professional made. I doubt someone would spend so much time/money and effort to build up such a front- and backend just to scam people, get caught (maybe) and disappear again.
- This service seems to be build to generate profits on the long run. It makes perfect sense NOT to scam people - build up trust - and profit from it's existing business model.
- PennyAuctions is pure gambling but i also think thats fine and has a right to exist in the bitcoin ecosystem just like other gambling services.

yesterday i deceided to give BlockRun.com a try and bet on this auction:

I know it's gambling - but i really like the thrill and the fact to support new serious bitcoin startups.

So you call me the miner who has gone allin with my recent earnings and won the auction.

## Proof ##
address: 1294HsDaF8MkeW9TC5XZDtzrdsCPucu9dc
signature: HIb+QA6vO9H+RgBzkw1Wse0QXp7bLYBHoXH0tJ50oHNkSpLsV25DapuL/mIDG+O8UOg6YM78OoaCNmgkpA6sjh0=
## END of Proof ##

After going through the claim process on the website, i just received a confirmation and was told to get a tracking number soon. So i don't get a product yet - but since now everything looks fine.
If you want i will keep you up to date and post a picture of proof after delivery.

Some final words:
Since i know from personal experiences how hard it is to get a bitcoin business started - i would recommend this BlockRun.com from my personal experiences just now.
My best guess is that the operator is honest, serious and really interested to build up trust and get a critical mass of customers.
I think we need more professional and well presented services like this to show what bitcoin is capable of. Making use of the blockchain for auctions is genius.

Just give it a try - if you like the thrill Smiley

Disclaimer: I never had any contact or relationship to BlockRun.com or the site op(s) since i discovered the project yesterday.

"Tonight's the night. And it's going to happen again, and again. It has to happen. Nice night."
Zaih

Activity: 504

View Profile
May 23, 2013, 08:21:11 AM

Not a single person who has won has posted on this thread.

This is disgusting IMO.
hasher87

View Profile
May 23, 2013, 10:54:32 AM

Since bitcoin's key feature is anonymity - i guess it's quite impossible to prove that BlockRun.com ops don't bit on their own auctions.
I understand that new bitcoin services should be taken very carefully to prevent scams. This makes perfect sense to me.

At a clooser look to BlockRun.com this seems to be a serious project which is just starting to build trust.

Trust will be a key successor for this platform, so i wan't to share my thoughts and experiences:

- The website is really professional made. I doubt someone would spend so much time/money and effort to build up such a front- and backend just to scam people, get caught (maybe) and disappear again.
- This service seems to be build to generate profits on the long run. It makes perfect sense NOT to scam people - build up trust - and profit from it's existing business model.
- PennyAuctions is pure gambling but i also think thats fine and has a right to exist in the bitcoin ecosystem just like other gambling services.

yesterday i deceided to give BlockRun.com a try and bet on this auction:

I know it's gambling - but i really like the thrill and the fact to support new serious bitcoin startups.

So you call me the miner who has gone allin with my recent earnings and won the auction.

## Proof ##
address: 1294HsDaF8MkeW9TC5XZDtzrdsCPucu9dc
signature: HIb+QA6vO9H+RgBzkw1Wse0QXp7bLYBHoXH0tJ50oHNkSpLsV25DapuL/mIDG+O8UOg6YM78OoaCNmgkpA6sjh0=
## END of Proof ##

After going through the claim process on the website, i just received a confirmation and was told to get a tracking number soon. So i don't get a product yet - but since now everything looks fine.
If you want i will keep you up to date and post a picture of proof after delivery.

Some final words:
Since i know from personal experiences how hard it is to get a bitcoin business started - i would recommend this BlockRun.com from my personal experiences just now.
My best guess is that the operator is honest, serious and really interested to build up trust and get a critical mass of customers.
I think we need more professional and well presented services like this to show what bitcoin is capable of. Making use of the blockchain for auctions is genius.

Just give it a try - if you like the thrill Smiley

Disclaimer: I never had any contact or relationship to BlockRun.com or the site op(s) since i discovered the project yesterday.
Because the owner of site is in a dire pinch situation already, thats why 'THEY' decided to LET you win it, rather than they go for a winning bid like always

And that's how you build up trust. Make it believable, lure some suckers (as all their previous bids will be considered OUTBID) then bam!
dipsy (OP)

View Profile
May 23, 2013, 02:33:31 PM

@ Roomservice; thanks for bidding and thanks so much for posting back here, it is much appreciated.

With regards Rhodon, I actually mailed him yesterday to ask if he could slow down for a few days to give others a chance to win. He was pretty much the first person to discover blockrun & bid, and was loving it. Asking him not to bid will damage our profit margins, but hopefully others will win as well. I can't 100% stop him from bidding and obviously some of you won't believe me, but I am telling the truth.

There's a 1 BTC auction ending soonish, hopefully one of you will get it:
http://www.blockrun.com/auctions/1-bitcoin-3

You should also bear in mind that not all users are coming from Bitcointalk, we have publicised the site on other channels too.
hasher87

View Profile
May 23, 2013, 03:34:38 PM

@ Roomservice; thanks for bidding and thanks so much for posting back here, it is much appreciated.

With regards Rhodon, I actually mailed him yesterday to ask if he could slow down for a few days to give others a chance to win. He was pretty much the first person to discover blockrun & bid, and was loving it. Asking him not to bid will damage our profit margins, but hopefully others will win as well. I can't 100% stop him from bidding and obviously some of you won't believe me, but I am telling the truth.

There's a 1 BTC auction ending soonish, hopefully one of you will get it:
http://www.blockrun.com/auctions/1-bitcoin-3

You should also bear in mind that not all users are coming from Bitcointalk, we have publicised the site on other channels too.

ummmm..okay
dipsy (OP)

View Profile
May 23, 2013, 03:45:30 PM

Yes, I don't know why anybody would bid so high either.
I thought it might be because they put a lower bid in earlier and wanted to scare others off with a high pending bid right at the end, but hoping the bid would not be confirmed before the auction ended (and therefore refunded). That's the only reason I can think of, other than trying to make a tiny margin.
vlees

Activity: 196

View Profile
May 23, 2013, 03:48:33 PM

why anybody would bid so high either.

Well, it's a sure 0.001 BTC win Cheesy

BEEP BEP
dipsy (OP)

View Profile
May 23, 2013, 03:50:17 PM

Well, it's a sure 0.001 BTC win Cheesy

True  Grin
Maybe somebody is happy to make a super small margin on the auction, I can't see why anyone else would bid now.
grue
Legendary

View Profile
May 23, 2013, 04:16:54 PM
Last edit: May 28, 2013, 10:26:08 PM by grue

Just so everyone is clear, there was no shenanigans going on. I was the winner of the auction. My motive for winning the auction will be disclosed 7 days from now.

edit: the reason is to get the 0.5 BTC reward for testimony. (0.5 net profit for me)

Caesium

Activity: 546

View Profile
May 23, 2013, 04:29:19 PM

My motive for winning the auction will be disclosed 7 days from now.

I'm not sure I can take the suspense!

Tired of annoying signature ads? Ad block for signatures
hasher87

View Profile
May 23, 2013, 04:32:17 PM

My motive for winning the auction will be disclosed 7 days from now.

I'm not sure I can take the suspense!
*thread subscribed*  Grin
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: