Bitcoin Forum
May 11, 2024, 07:56:20 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Good countries for IT-entrepreneurs  (Read 607 times)
TheFootMan (OP)

Activity: 490
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 17, 2013, 12:24:54 AM

Hi fellow IT-people and bitcoiners.

I'm considering relocating to somewhere with the following properties.

* Subtropical climate or tropical climate (Frankly - I live in a place where it's pretty damn cold for the most part of the year - and for health reasons I would like to relocate, as the cold is not good for me. I feel like I'm not alive in winter time, but just waiting for the summer, and as the summer is far too short, I think somwhere with a good subtropical or tropical climate would be good.

* Somehow decent health services. If you get into some kind of accident, there should be a hospital that takes good care of you, so you don't die from being treated by incompetent doctors.

* Good and stable internet connection, preferrably several connections. I've been looking at Gregs cable map to find suitable places: http://www.cablemap.info/

* Low company and personal tax would not hurt.

* Stable politically, ie. little chance for unrest in the coming years.

* Little chance for natural disasters (I don't want to live on an Island with a vulcano, or a place where a tsunami can kill my family, or a place where tropical storms are known to wreck destruction, or a place where earth quakes are common)

* Fairly good standards of living. Ie. there should be an electricity system that's fairly stable and a sewer system and infra structure should in general be fairly good.

* Settling down (becoming a resident) should be fairly straightforward - ie. no impossible difficult routines for doing so.

* Friendly laws in regards to economics, finance, gambling and so on would not be a negative.

* Low crime rates. This is pretty important - I don't need to live in a major city, but in general I don't like to live in places where kidnappings, knife stabbings, rapes, house burglary and so on are common occurences.

I've got a higher education in IT, and I could do everything from coding, to administration (web hosting business), computer repairs (hw & sw), to telecomuting etc.

The foreign language that I speak and write is english and a little bit german, but I'm willing to learn any new language, but in the beginning it would be nice if I could've made myself understood speaking english when dealing with officials and locals.

If I find some good place, I will probably go there first on vacation to see if I like it there, and I might possibly blog about the whole process, as there's probably others that are interested in relocating as well.

The whole world would be interesting, but I'm a bit sceptical to Africa (is that sceptisism warranted?) and I would definately NOT want to live in the USA. It's too much of a police state for my liking, and I don't get the whole culture thing over there. So the Carribean, Malta and Panama all seems like interesting places, but what are your suggestions, and is there anyone else considering doing the same thing ? Perhaps someone actually wanting to move somewhere and starting a business ?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
I HATE TABLES I HATE TABLES I HA(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ TABLES I HATE TABLES I HATE TABLES
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
LukePFS

Activity: 83
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 17, 2013, 03:52:13 AM

Well, I can't make an offer, but what about asia ? Especially Thailand and maybee the Philipines ?

Alot of US citizen here. I recommend Thailand over PHI for at least security reason's, but for a US citizien should be PHI the first choice, as you can get there easily visa's for a year. Thailand is for that not that easy to handle.

Wish you best luck with your plan and if you are one time in Bangkok, i'm good for a beer or two !! Smiley

Luke
TheFootMan (OP)

View Profile
May 17, 2013, 04:00:21 AM

Well, I can't make an offer, but what about asia ? Especially Thailand and maybee the Philipines ?

Alot of US citizen here. I recommend Thailand over PHI for at least security reason's, but for a US citizien should be PHI the first choice, as you can get there easily visa's for a year. Thailand is for that not that easy to handle.

Wish you best luck with your plan and if you are one time in Bangkok, i'm good for a beer or two !! Smiley

Luke

Hi, Thanks for the nice words.

I've been to Thailand once, to Phuket. It was really nice, and I would not mind living there actually.

Do you live in Bangkok, how's the internet connectivity there, and how well does most people speak english ? Is it mandatory to learn Thai to live there ? Do you know anything about starting your own business there, and what about residency ?

Not sure about connectivity if one were to run a international hosting business from Thailand ? A programming company would probably be better, I know living costs are very low there.

I don't live in the US btw, but in Northern Europe.
LukePFS

Activity: 83

View Profile
May 17, 2013, 04:22:03 AM

Do you live in Bangkok, how's the internet connectivity there, and how well does most people speak english ? Is it mandatory to learn Thai to live there ? Do you know anything about starting your own business there, and what about residency ?

No, I'm not living in the centre, i'm pretty fareway in the province. But still here out in nowhere I'm able to have a fibre 30/5 MB line plus another small backup line plus 3G. Ok, my fibre line cost around the half month wage of an average worker here, so it isnt very cheap. But I'm able to do my business with this internet line (Phone and Video Calls, VPN, RDP etc.), which does NOT run in Thailand. I do only live here and see myself as paying guest to the country of my choice.

In Bangkok itself it's no problem to get a 100/10 MB line, depends of course where you want to live. If needed even at higher speed's.

In the foreigner crowded zones of Bangkok you should have these days no problem with english. Thai is a plus and you will learn it anyway step by step on a longer stay.

Visa's are a pain in the ass, this while I told you PHI would be a better choice for US citiziens. But if you have enough fund's to show and not always have to care every penny, even the legal paper's should be doable. Furthermore if you are above 55 you can get easily retirement visa's per year, but beware, this does not allow you to work within the country.

If funds are no problem, a company could be opend. The national Board of Investment's ( http://www.boi.go.th ) will even support you. But there we talk about at least 100k $ and up.

If more info's needed, we should maybee switch to another communication channel.

Regards,
Luke
Malawi

Activity: 224
Merit: 100

One bitcoin to rule them all!

View Profile
May 18, 2013, 09:06:08 PM

Would not mind following in your footsteps.

BTW: Malaysia might also be an option.

Some of the former east-block countries in south-europe might also be interesting.

BitCoin is NOT a pyramid - it's a pagoda.
dudeofthestick

Activity: 78

View Profile
May 18, 2013, 09:20:43 PM

Southern Spain looks like the best place for you... Except Spain it is not a a friendly country for Entrepreneurs...

May be you can build your business in Gibraltar (a de facto Tax Haven inside the EC as a British colony in Spanish land) and live in Spain. Being a spaniard is complicated, but being American it would be easier.

TheFootMan (OP)

View Profile
May 19, 2013, 04:53:12 AM

Southern Spain looks like the best place for you... Except Spain it is not a a friendly country for Entrepreneurs...

May be you can build your business in Gibraltar (a de facto Tax Haven inside the EC as a British colony in Spanish land) and live in Spain. Being a spaniard is complicated, but being American it would be easier.

I've thought of Spain as well, I read about it being possible to get recidency if you buy a property of a certain cost. I don't know any Spanish, but I could certainly learn it - and I could work with international clients through the internet, so it's a possibility to go there for sure.

I will check up about Gibraltar as well - I don't know too much about it!

Malaysia might be an option too - will check that out as well, thanks for your kind suggestions!
John (John K.)
Global Troll-buster and
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1226

Away on an extended break

View Profile
May 19, 2013, 04:58:03 AM

Malaysia/Singapore seems high on your list according to the features given above.  Wink
TheFootMan (OP)

View Profile
May 28, 2013, 05:39:18 PM

What about Chile, Santiago ? I've heard Jeff Berwick speak warmly about it being a god country for freedomloving people.
ukuna

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 28, 2013, 06:50:03 PM

Ireland
bb999

Activity: 70

View Profile
May 28, 2013, 08:52:04 PM

What about Chile, Santiago ? I've heard Jeff Berwick speak warmly about it being a god country for freedomloving people.

I've spent time in Chile and I would say it fits the criteria for what you are looking for.  They have made it very easy for people to start businesses, even foreigners, and made it easy for foreigners with technical skills to get working visas.  If nothing else it's a great place to spend a vacation with the desert in the north and patagonia in the south it really offers any kind of climate someone can look for on vacation.  Good luck in your search!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: