Bitcoin Forum
August 31, 2024, 02:18:32 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.1 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Is storing decentralized debt possible?  (Read 809 times)
tmbp (OP)

Activity: 350
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 17, 2013, 12:50:00 AM

Specifically, is determining whether a transaction has been paid out by Dwolla/PayPal/Banks possible? Because if we found a way to convince these institutions and be able to determine the boolean value we could then build a decentralized chain of debt on top of that and have a semi-decentralized system that you could use to purchase BTC without exchanges.
ChicagoBob

Activity: 19
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 17, 2013, 01:03:54 AM

There is a system available where you can purchase BTC without exchanges.  I am researching that myself for my own use because I have just a bit less confidence in Mt. Gox than I had last week.

http://bitcoin-otc.com

You are dealing with individuals and there is a lot to read before you start, not only about the mechanics but also how to check out the reputation of whoever that is Over The Counter that you would consider trading with.

But there's no exchange.  And I think that if one is careful it might be safer than dealing with someone in a parking lot with an Android wallet - at least there seems to be some history and validation online.

I haven't used it yet though, still evaluating the safety issues.

gogxmagog
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1010

Ad maiora!

View Profile
May 17, 2013, 07:14:20 AM
Last edit: May 17, 2013, 07:29:41 AM by gogxmagog

as far as I understand, tmbp. what you ask for here is what ripple's IOU system is supposed to do. they aren't very good at the "for dummies" (no offense) explanation of this system, but you should check it out. If it gets wide adoption, I believe it can supply just what you are inquiring about. people confuse it for being merely a bitcoin competitor (note the extensive FUD regarding it in these forums), but it seems to aim for being more of a side-by-side technology to facilitate decentralized credit within the bitcoin network.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ripple_%28monetary_system%29

I still don't wholly understand it, but that's never a good reason to knock it. as far as I can tell it may prove to be very valuable once bitcoin becomes ubiquitous. it is interesting to say the least.
tmbp (OP)

Activity: 350
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 17, 2013, 01:24:35 PM

as far as I understand, tmbp. what you ask for here is what ripple's IOU system is supposed to do. they aren't very good at the "for dummies" (no offense) explanation of this system, but you should check it out. If it gets wide adoption, I believe it can supply just what you are inquiring about. people confuse it for being merely a bitcoin competitor (note the extensive FUD regarding it in these forums), but it seems to aim for being more of a side-by-side technology to facilitate decentralized credit within the bitcoin network.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ripple_%28monetary_system%29

I still don't wholly understand it, but that's never a good reason to knock it. as far as I can tell it may prove to be very valuable once bitcoin becomes ubiquitous. it is interesting to say the least.

Ripple is the very definitions of a pyramid scheme, it's not open source, they blatantly lie about it on their page. I was thinking of something else at all..
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: