Bitcoin Forum
May 01, 2024, 03:38:00 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Is there any way to differentiate between BTC vs LTC vs altcoinX addresses?  (Read 1575 times)
btc4ever (OP)

Activity: 321
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 17, 2013, 02:35:28 AM

When working with multiple currencies, it would be nice to be able to validate addresses as belonging to one currency or another, eg:  this appears to be a valid LTC address but is not a valid BTC address.

So I guess this question can be divided into parts:

1) Given address Y that validates for currency X, will it also validate for currencies A,B,C...?

2) Given just address Y, is there any good way to identify the currency?    ( I doubt it )

I suspect the answer is that they are all the same and there is no way to know.  eg bitcoind will validate the same as litecoind the same as junkcoind, etc.   Hoping I am wrong...

thanks for your insights.

Psst!!  Wanna make bitcoin unstoppable? Why the Only Real Way to Buy Bitcoins Is on the Streets. Avoid banks and centralized exchanges.   Buy/Sell coins locally.  Meet other bitcoiners and develop your network.   Try localbitcoins.com or find or start a buttonwood / satoshi square in your area.  Pass it on!
"Governments are good at cutting off the heads of a centrally controlled networks like Napster, but pure P2P networks like Gnutella and Tor seem to be holding their own." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Zeilap

Activity: 154
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 17, 2013, 02:42:45 AM

https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/List_of_address_prefixes
btc4ever (OP)

Activity: 321
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 17, 2013, 05:49:30 AM

Well that is good news.  thank-you Zeilap.

I notice that the list on that page does not include many/most of the recent altcoins.  This makes me wonder if those altcoin devs are aware of the address prefix, and (in general) are modifying them, or not.

Also, in some limited testing with litecoin testnet addresses, I see that they are prefixed with m, the same as bitcoin testnet.  So that means that any address identification routine based on the 1st byte would be unable to distinguish between BTC and LTC, unless I am missing something.

Just observations.  Thanks again for the pointer.

Psst!!  Wanna make bitcoin unstoppable? Why the Only Real Way to Buy Bitcoins Is on the Streets. Avoid banks and centralized exchanges.   Buy/Sell coins locally.  Meet other bitcoiners and develop your network.   Try localbitcoins.com or find or start a buttonwood / satoshi square in your area.  Pass it on!
wumpus
qt

Activity: 812
Merit: 1022

No Maps for These Territories

View Profile
May 17, 2013, 05:51:34 AM

I notice that the list on that page does not include many/most of the recent altcoins.  This makes me wonder if those altcoin devs are aware of the address prefix, and (in general) are modifying them, or not.
My guess is that simply no one is bothing to update the wiki. After all, there is a new altcoin every day Tongue

Bitcoin Core developer [PGP] Warning: For most, coin loss is a larger risk than coin theft. A disk can die any time. Regularly back up your wallet through FileBackup Wallet to an external storage or the (encrypted!) cloud. Use a separate offline wallet for storing larger amounts.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: