Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 09:15:35 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Banned Books in the US?? There may be at least one...  (Read 1377 times)
FenixRD (OP)

Activity: 364
Merit: 250

I am Citizenfive.

View Profile
May 17, 2013, 03:31:30 AM
Last edit: May 17, 2013, 05:20:42 AM by FenixRD

The background for this is located (and evolving currently) here: https://boards.4chan.org/g/res/33840953 I would appreciate anyone here weighing in. (Bitcoin relevance: The OP mentioned Satoshi at one point; that's how I ran across it. I regularly text search for Bitcoin themes on places like /g/ which is the technology board there, if you aren't familiar.)

The book is the successor to the excellent Wi-Foo text on wireless security, from 2004. There seems to have been an update, possibly one which included something about perhaps the 900MHz ISM band or something else, and has been pulled. The really weird part is, it's been pretty heavily eradicated from existence, it appears. I'll update with a consolidation so you guys don't have to go to that thread just to know what I'm talking about. Right now the thread is at a standstill, waiting on more searching and a reply from Richard Stallman, who the OP reached out to.

Uberlurker. Been here since the Finney transaction. Please consider this before replying; there is a good chance I've heard it before.

-Citizenfive

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The grue lurks in the darkest places of the earth. Its favorite diet is adventurers, but its insatiable appetite is tempered by its fear of light. No grue has ever been seen by the light of day, and few have survived its fearsome jaws to tell the tale.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
myrkul

Activity: 532
Merit: 500

FIAT LIBERTAS RVAT CAELVM

View Profile WWW
May 17, 2013, 05:18:16 AM

The background for this is located (and evolving currently) here: https://boards.4chan.org/g/res/33840953

I would appreciate anyone here weighing in. (Bitcoin relevance: The OP mentioned Satoshi at one point)
Can't imagine why Amazon would pull a book like that... NSL?

BTC1MYRkuLv4XPBa6bGnYAronz55grPAGcxja
Need Dispute resolution? Public Key ID: 0x11D341CF
No person has the right to initiate force, threat of force, or fraud against another person or their property. VIM VI REPELLERE LICET
FenixRD (OP)

I am Citizenfive.

View Profile
May 17, 2013, 05:21:31 AM

The background for this is located (and evolving currently) here: https://boards.4chan.org/g/res/33840953

I would appreciate anyone here weighing in. (Bitcoin relevance: The OP mentioned Satoshi at one point)

(Just modified my original post right after you started writing, FYI, sorry...)

Uberlurker. Been here since the Finney transaction. Please consider this before replying; there is a good chance I've heard it before.

-Citizenfive
Elwar
Legendary

Activity: 3598
Merit: 2384

Viva Ut Vivas

View Profile WWW
May 17, 2013, 05:23:41 AM

The Federal Mafia

banned

But here is the pdf

First seastead company actually selling sea homes: Ocean Builders https://ocean.builders  Of course we accept bitcoin.
myrkul

View Profile WWW
May 17, 2013, 05:25:02 AM

The Federal Mafia

banned

But here is the pdf
Thoughtcrime FTW!

No person has the right to initiate force, threat of force, or fraud against another person or their property. VIM VI REPELLERE LICET
FenixRD (OP)

I am Citizenfive.

View Profile
May 17, 2013, 05:26:10 AM

It's pretty much gone from everywhere it would seem. Here was the topic of it:

"Most white papers and books available on wireless security are centered around 802.11 standards. Most explain the built-in security features of 802.11 protocols, explain future security standards development and requirements, list (and sometimes describe in detail) known security weaknesses of 802.11 networks, and describe the countermeasures that a wireless network manager or system administrator can take to reduce the risks presented by these flaws. Wireless networks are quickly becoming commonplace rather than the luxury that they were only two years ago. Wireless networks are everywhere from college dorms to developing nations and corporate settings. As the wireless network becomes more pervasive additional technologies and standards have been developed to support them.

Many current telecommunications and wireless networking books are undergoing revision to cover WiMax, ZigBee, 802.15, 802.16, and recent developments in Bluetooth. Keeping up to date with the contemporary list of threats, as well as the devices and standards to defend against them is vital to organizations and their networks. Wi Foo II: The Secrets of Wireless Hacking teaches penetration testers how to evaluate the security of a wireless network, and then show administrators how to fortify their networks, going beyond just 802. 11. This newly updated and revised edition of the hit first edition will help adminstrators know of, prepare for, and defend agains these threats."

The second paragraph is new to the description of the second edition in question.

-Citizenfive
mufa23
Legendary

Activity: 1022
Merit: 1001

I'd fight Gandhi.

View Profile
May 17, 2013, 05:29:09 AM

inb4 DHS

Positive rep with: pekv2, AzN1337c0d3r, Vince Torres, underworld07, Chimsley, omegaaf, Bogart, Gleason, SuperTramp, John K. and guitarplinker
FenixRD (OP)

I am Citizenfive.

View Profile
May 17, 2013, 05:42:14 AM

So weird. And now this new bit! I'm going to paste a new post containing a pretty damning piece of evidence, in terms of it being fairly certain it existed in full form at some point. There have been a lot of circumstantial things in the thread, but this one kinda takes the crown:

"That is the mystery. How about this then:

http://hardforum.com/archive/index.php/t-1329262.html

Unrelated thread on something else, but the book is mentioned. More specifically, I'll quote the relevant post:

----
HardDrugsUser
07-25-2008, 04:28 PM
"Counting the days(2 left) until I can get my hands on this > http://www.amazon.com/Wi-Foo-II-Secrets-Wireless-Hacking/dp/0321393716/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1217021119&sr=8-1

This is "the" book to read and it be availible for purchase on July 28."

What do you figure is the likelihood that Amazon would still display a release date of July 28, 2008 on the afternoon of July 25th, for a book that wasn't already PRINTED SOMEWHERE? I don't know about Amazon and their distribution in 2008, but at that point I'd expect Amazon themselves probably had boxes in preparation for the release date."

-Citizenfive
Matthew N. Wright
Untrustworthy

Activity: 588

Hero VIP ultra official trusted super staff puppet

View Profile
May 17, 2013, 05:53:20 AM

The Federal Mafia

banned

But here is the pdf

Is there any truth to that book? Has anyone ever tried just declining to file or pay for taxes, and ignore the IRS when they try to investigate and collect later? How many people tried and went to federal prison?

blablahblah

Activity: 775
Merit: 1000

View Profile
May 17, 2013, 09:00:43 AM

That's why programming books have boring titles like "ISO C++ Programming" instead of "Complete A to Z Instructions on how to Hack Government Networks Undetected".

Spendulus
Legendary

Activity: 2898
Merit: 1386

View Profile
May 17, 2013, 01:15:44 PM

The Federal Mafia

banned

But here is the pdf

Is there any truth to that book? Has anyone ever tried just declining to file or pay for taxes, and ignore the IRS when they try to investigate and collect later? How many people tried and went to federal prison?
I think Irwin Schiff is in prison for this.  To my knowledge the book isn't "banned", though.  A while back, if I recall correctly, Peter Schiff was giving copies away on some promotion.
Matthew N. Wright
Untrustworthy

Activity: 588

Hero VIP ultra official trusted super staff puppet

View Profile
May 17, 2013, 01:47:48 PM

The Federal Mafia

banned

But here is the pdf

I think Irwin Schiff is in prison for this.  To my knowledge the book isn't "banned", though.  A while back, if I recall correctly, Peter Schiff was giving copies away on some promotion.

Just spent an hour studying Wikipedia articles about the subject (even as far as reading Wesley Snipes' page). That's some sick shit. I had no idea the US was so vilifying of people who didn't file taxes. That and the illegality of gambling I've learned about in the bitcoin community makes me want to renounce my citizenship more and more everyday.

Is there a country in the world that *doesn't* throw people in jail for not wanting to pay into a broken system that starts wars?

Mike Christ
aka snapsunny
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1003

View Profile
May 17, 2013, 01:58:30 PM

Is there a country in the world that *doesn't* throw people in jail for not wanting to pay into a broken system that starts wars?

AFAIK, there isn't.  But now we can clearly see what drives the anarchist.

Elwar
Legendary

Activity: 3598
Merit: 2384

Viva Ut Vivas

View Profile WWW
May 17, 2013, 09:19:40 PM

The Federal Mafia

banned

But here is the pdf

I think Irwin Schiff is in prison for this.  To my knowledge the book isn't "banned", though.  A while back, if I recall correctly, Peter Schiff was giving copies away on some promotion.

Irwin Schiff was prosecuted in a court stacked against him that did not allow evidence.
"I will not allow the law in this courtroom" -- Judge Robert Dawson, Federal District Court

I bought his book about 15 years ago right out of college. I followed his steps for not paying taxes, I filed a zero return. The IRS sent me a letter, they did my taxes for me and asked for payment. I was just starting my career so I just cut them a check (being right out of college I only owed maybe a hundred bucks, more than likely I could have gotten money back).

The fact that I do not have more guns than the US government means that they can do whatever the hell they want. Extortion is ugly.

First seastead company actually selling sea homes: Ocean Builders https://ocean.builders  Of course we accept bitcoin.
FenixRD (OP)

I am Citizenfive.

View Profile
May 18, 2013, 05:44:37 AM

Yep. Trying to explain that aspect of anarchy, especially the anarchy that comprises the AnCap mindset, is about twice as difficult as explaining that deflation is not bad, despite our societal conditioning... which is to say, supremely difficult. We have a reflexive negative response to the "feeling" (connotation for you literary fellows) of the words.

-Citizenfive
myrkul

View Profile WWW
May 18, 2013, 05:50:33 AM

Yep. Trying to explain that aspect of anarchy, especially the anarchy that comprises the AnCap mindset, is about twice as difficult as explaining that deflation is not bad, despite our societal conditioning... which is to say, supremely difficult. We have a reflexive negative response to the "feeling" (connotation for you literary fellows) of the words.
Deflation is not bad... it's switching from inflation to deflation (or even just stopping the inflation) that's murder. Like going cold turkey on booze and heroin at the same time.

It's good to get clean, but god damn, does detoxing suck.

🏰 TradeFortress 🏰
Bitcoin Veteran
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1316
Merit: 1043

👻

View Profile
May 18, 2013, 06:12:52 AM

Quite interesting. My guess is probably DHS agents visited the author and got them to shut up.
FenixRD (OP)

I am Citizenfive.

View Profile
May 18, 2013, 07:02:43 AM

Deflation is not bad... it's switching from inflation to deflation (or even just stopping the inflation) that's murder. Like going cold turkey on booze and heroin at the same time.

What does it mean when a society goes from natural deflation to artificial inflation? I'm looking at you, Japan... I'm genuinely worried

-Citizenfive
myrkul

View Profile WWW
May 18, 2013, 07:10:27 AM

What does it mean when a society goes from natural deflation to artificial inflation? I'm looking at you, Japan... I'm genuinely worried
I know.... Reading about that almost gives me the image of a drug dealer on the corner, only he's in a suit and the drug he's pushing is inflation.

hawkeye

Merit: 253

View Profile
May 18, 2013, 07:43:42 AM

Plus the inflation (or booze and heroin) will kill you eventually if you keep taking higher and higher doses just to maintain the current level of happiness.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: