Bitcoin Forum
May 02, 2024, 07:22:45 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Bittrex Settings - I am confused  (Read 350 times)
mattpatt007 (OP)

Activity: 27
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 11, 2017, 05:25:28 AM

With the Withdrawl-Whitelist set up, this essentially is a layer of protection so that your currency CAN ONLY be withdrew to the specified wallet that you set up. But I am trying to configure an API, and allowing Withdrawls. With the Withdrawls enabled, it will allow you to programatically withdraw any currency to an address you provide. My question is: If no address is specified, can one withdrawal currency into any address? Who and where are the addresses specified, i.e. If I only configure my Withdrawl Whitelist for ETH, BTC, LTC, but I am using an API and trading XMR, where is that going? What are my Risks?
Essentially if I use an API key, would the Withdrawl-Whitelist hedge my risk of compromise?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Bitcoin addresses contain a checksum, so it is very unlikely that mistyping an address will cause you to lose money.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Serpens66
Legendary

Activity: 2926
Merit: 1131

View Profile
August 11, 2017, 11:49:42 AM
Last edit: August 11, 2017, 12:07:48 PM by Serpens66

as far as I know:
if for a specific currency is no address in whitelist, withdrawal to every address is possible. see below
if one or more are in list, only to these addresses is possible.

So yes, this adds extra security for API withdrawal.
There are only a few exchanges that have such an additional security feature. I already wrote to every major exchange to also add such a whitelist. Most of them plan to add this feature, but don't have an ETA on that...
Maybe you can also write to them so they see the demand for this is high.

Mit Cointracking (10% Rabatt) behältst du die Übersicht über all deine Trades und Gewinne. Sogar ein Tool für die Steuer ist dabei Wink                          
Great Freeware Game: Clonk Rage
binance.com hat nun auch SEPA und EUR Paare! Mit dem RefLink bekommst du 5% Rabatt auf die Tradinggebühren!
sgk
Legendary

Activity: 1470
Merit: 1002

!! HODL !!

View Profile
August 11, 2017, 12:00:57 PM

Last time I checked: if you specify whitelist for ANY currency, you will only be able to withdraw that particular currency. If you want to withdraw some other currency, you need to put a whitelist address for that as well.

The idea being:
- Whitelist protects you from un-authorised withdrawals in case your account gets accessed by someone else.
- If you have BTC & LTC whitelist address but not for other currencies, you can only withdraw BTC and LTC.

This is to prevent anyone from bypassing the whitelist by trading your coins to other currency and withdrawing it.

I think that is how it worked when I checked.
Serpens66
Legendary

Activity: 2926
Merit: 1131

View Profile
August 11, 2017, 12:08:23 PM

yes, sgk is right, I just tested it.

Mit Cointracking (10% Rabatt) behältst du die Übersicht über all deine Trades und Gewinne. Sogar ein Tool für die Steuer ist dabei Wink                          
Great Freeware Game: Clonk Rage
binance.com hat nun auch SEPA und EUR Paare! Mit dem RefLink bekommst du 5% Rabatt auf die Tradinggebühren!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: