Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 05:26:27 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: *- RED CROSS donate suggestion -*  (Read 2080 times)
dennis_sweden

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 21, 2011, 08:09:37 PM

I could help draft a formal letter, although my comprehension of the "virtues" of bitcoin is very incomplete. I'll check this thread tomorrow and see what kind of progress has been made.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
I HATE TABLES I HATE TABLES I HA(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ TABLES I HATE TABLES I HATE TABLES
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
dinker

Activity: 103
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 21, 2011, 08:12:17 PM

replace "it is sucks"
with It's teh Suck

everything eles looks good.

Help Me Help You Donations:
14kP6tNtrz3woESs9nEE5aDB81QTybGyyZ
swusc2

Activity: 304
Merit: 250

Do your part for Bitcoin!

View Profile
June 21, 2011, 08:19:42 PM

There was a former employee of a NPO that posted here once. It is very unlikely they will take donations in bitcoins. It still best to donate money. Just how the EFF is not allowed to cash donated bitcoins because it would be conflict of interest with most NPOs since donations would have to convert to usuable currency in the status quo. Also most neutral NPO won't directly associate themselves with bitcoins due to it's grey legal area. Just donate established currency for now.

Impress your friends! Buy a bitcoin keychain!
http://forum.bitcoin.org/index.php?topic=30799.0
wareen
Millionaire
Legendary

Activity: 910
Merit: 1001

Revolutionizing Brokerage of Personal Data

View Profile
June 21, 2011, 08:36:28 PM

One of the great advantages for humanitarian organizations like the ICRC would be the use of Bitcoins for their workers in crisis regions, where it is often hard to send funds to, without great risk and/or fees.

Of course, for that to be practical, local exchangers would have to be much more common. Maybe we should work on that with specific contacts in current crisis regions. This would be a great selling argument for Bitcoin as a whole and benefit many other organizations as well.

Once we have some trustworthy local exchangers established, we could approach the ICRC with mentioning that specific unique possibility.

What do you think?

▄▄▀▀▄▄
    ▄▄▀▀▄▄██▄▄▀▀▄▄
▄▄▀▀▄▄█████▄████▄▄▀▀▄▄
█▀▀█▄█████████████
█▄▄████▀   ▀██████
███████     █▄████
█████▀█▄   ▄██████
█▄█████▌   ▐█████
█████▀█     ██████
██▄███████████████
▀▀▄▄▀▀█████▀████▀▀▄▄▀▀
    ▀▀▄▄▀▀██▀▀▄▄▀▀
        ▀▀▄▄▀▀
.PDATA..
TOKEN..
██
██
██   ██
██   ██
██   ██
██   ██
██   ██
██   ██

██   ██
██   ██

██   ██
██
██
██
██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██

██  ██
██  ██

██  ██
██
██
██
██
██   ██
██   ██
██   ██
██   ██
██   ██
██   ██

██   ██
██   ██

██   ██
██
██
TELEGRAM     BITCOINTALK     FACEBOOK
MEDIUM    SLACK    TWITTER    YOUTUBE
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬   E M A I L   ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
██
██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██

██  ██
██  ██

██  ██
██
██
aral

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 21, 2011, 10:25:48 PM

One of the great advantages for humanitarian organizations like the ICRC would be the use of Bitcoins for their workers in crisis regions, where it is often hard to send funds to, without great risk and/or fees.

Yeah, and what are they going to do with it? You can't feed or clothe people with bitcoin Grin

Of course, for that to be practical, local exchangers would have to be much more common. Maybe we should work on that with specific contacts in current crisis regions. This would be a great selling argument for Bitcoin as a whole and benefit many other organizations as well.

Once we have some trustworthy local exchangers established, we could approach the ICRC with mentioning that specific unique possibility.

What do you think?

I was initially enthusiastic about this use of bitcoins but I suspect the overhead and excessive fees exist largely because of the difficulty in finding trustworthy partners and the costs of handling large quantities of cash, not the actual transfer costs.  Similarly for cash currency conversions in the developed world: although there would be some convenience in not having to collect and exchange several different foreign currencies, in most parts of Europe, for example, cash exchanges already offer low spreads between dollars, euros and local currency. 
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: